How does ltt do so much video work

The Torrent
32 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

are ltt videos available in 1440P??? how??

I'm guessing you let YouTube choose the quality for you.

Here is the data file for a  3 minute 5K music video I exported the other day. Please note that WAV is the least space efficient way to store audio and it still pales in comparison to the video's data (about 7GB). LTT has hours upon hours of footage in much higher quality than I have presented right here, but assuming they use the exact same quality I do, we can take 7GB per 3 minutes of footage.

That's 140GB per 1 hour of video

Which is 980GB a week assuming they get the footage for all 3 channels done in 1 hour per day (they don't)

So let's round up a bit and use a laughably conservative estimate that LTT uses 1TB of storage per week for video footage. In one year that's 52TB.

For reference, the largest capacity hard drive you can buy is 16TB. This means LTT goes through a $600 HDD in under 4 months, assuming they only use their cameras for 1 hour a day.

So If we go back to when Linus got the expensive camera (about 2 years ago), they have used a minimum of 104TB to just store raw footage if they only shot one hour a day.

Of course now they have to store the edited videos as well. For the sake of easy math, we'll just assume 50% of what gets shot never makes it in to the video, so we'l just add another 52TB of footage to the vault and the numbers really start to add up.

LMG shoots (by my estimate anyway) about 4-8 hours a day depending on what kind of content they've got going on (excluding WAN show).This does not include any of the advertisements they shoot for other companies. Lets round that to a healthy 6 and do some more math.

At 840GB a day of just raw footage, we'll once again default to 1TB once they've got the edit stored alongside it for the sake of making numbers easier, LTT now burns through about $600 of HDD every 2 weeks. This means LTT goes through roughly 26 Ironwolf Pro Hard drives every year. Except they store everything in unRAID so they need even more HDDs.

LMG also shoots in 8K so they use even more space than I've actually presented here since all my calculations were for 5K video.

High-end video eats storage space, that's the answer to your question.

audio vs video.PNG

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

On 9/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, The Torrent said:

Just watching the new petabyte project is full video and I see they used up a petabyte and I see all those people working there.

i mean no offence Linus but the video quality isn’t really high I don’t understand how you can go through so much data and so much workforce power I know there’s channels like techlinked but seriously the amount your going through how? How can each video me taking up any more than 10gb forget the tens of thousands of gigabytes of data per video you must be using how?

It's usually recorder in higher quality and they produce minimum like 5 videos a day per channel (depending on the day) then they have to edit it and upload it