Looking for a laptop for photo editing, light video editing, and some gaming.

Go to solution Solved by Mike21,

razer blade stealth and MSI GS65 stealth both are good option in term of editing and gaming. Here you find the good stats as well https://guruverdict.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-1500/ . Also i used GS65 stealth personally and performance wise its amazing. You get all in one because of its portability thin and light. On the other hand i didn't use Razor Blade personally but its one of the most recommended most of youtubers as well Linus  

I’ve been comparing some laptops for a few days now and I’m still having trouble making a choice. I’m looking for something that I can use that will do very well in all the categories. I’ve had my eye on the razer blade stealth (13” or 15”) because of the size but I’m hesitant because of the reviews of build quality and durability. Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion of another that may be comparable? 

I have quite a few recommendations, but I want to narrow them down further by asking the following questions:

1. Do you care about how the laptop looks?
  2. Do you care about the weight of the laptop?
  3. What games do you plan on running, and will you be streaming?

These questions will help me give you a better answer.

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Peltogle said:

I have quite a few recommendations, but I want to narrow them down further by asking the following questions:

1. Do you care about how the laptop looks?
  2. Do you care about the weight of the laptop?
  3. What games do you plan on running, and will you be streaming?

These questions will help me give you a better answer.

Thanks,

I do care to have a sleek looking laptop and would like to keep the weight around 5 pounds. Games would be anywhere from rocket league to maybe occasionally R6 Siege. 95% of my gaming is done on my PC but would be nice to have something when traveling. 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, BeeDoo said:

I do care to have a sleek looking laptop and would like to keep the weight around 5 pounds. Games would be anywhere from rocket league to maybe occasionally R6 Siege. 95% of my gaming is done on my PC but would be nice to have something when traveling. 

Thanks!

Have you thought about the ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen)? If you get it in the i7 16gb RAM variant it should run those games fine along with all the other things you want. Keep in mind that because the laptop has the Intel UHD 620 Integrated graphics card it will only run the games you mentioned when you set the settings on low or medium. So no high settings or 60+ fps. You will get a max of 40ish fps on most games because of the graphics card. The laptop looks sleek and business like and it is much lighter than 5 pounds. What do you think? Sorry if the reply seems rash, I am about to go offline.

8 minutes ago, Peltogle said:

Have you thought about the ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen)? If you get it in the i7 16gb RAM variant it should run those games fine along with all the other things you want. Keep in mind that because the laptop has the Intel UHD 620 Integrated graphics card it will only run the games you mentioned when you set the settings on low or medium. So no high settings or 60+ fps. You will get a max of 40ish fps on most games because of the graphics card. The laptop looks sleek and business like and it is much lighter than 5 pounds. What do you think? Sorry if the reply seems rash, I am about to go offline.

No worries! I thought about that one and have looked into it but I think I may be leaning a bit more towards dedicated graphics honestly. 

What's your budget? The T490 can come with an MX250 GPU. If you're looking for something like a GTX 1650 that's also light and wouldn't look out of place in an office, you can look at the ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2, the Dell XPS 15 7590, or the MSI Prestige 15 that's coming out soon. The 1080p version of the MSI is about $1400 on NewEgg; 4K is $1800. I'd wait for reviews on that one to come out, though. With the prior MSI Prestige PS65, the display was pretty dim and the color accuracy wasn't great either. I personally would go for the X1 Extreme but that's because I've gotten so used to using the TrackPoint, I strongly dislike using any other laptop keyboard now.

2 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

What's your budget? The T490 can come with an MX250 GPU. If you're looking for something like a GTX 1650 that's also light and wouldn't look out of place in an office, you can look at the ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2, the Dell XPS 15 7590, or the MSI Prestige 15 that's coming out soon. The 1080p version of the MSI is about $1400 on NewEgg; 4K is $1800. I'd wait for reviews on that one to come out, though. With the prior MSI Prestige PS65, the display was pretty dim and the color accuracy wasn't great either. I personally would go for the X1 Extreme but that's because I've gotten so used to using the TrackPoint, I strongly dislike using any other laptop keyboard now.

I'd like to keep the budget around the $1800 range with lower being better obviously. I've found some that have 1050ti-2060 in budget but im worried about the size as it is hard to kind of imagine while looking on the web at the dimensions. 

On Lenovo's site, you can configure a T490 with MX250 for about $1520 or so with a special link and password. It's for corporate buyers but it was spreading around r/ThinkPad. The problem is they promise to ship custom-configured ones in 10-12 days but it's more like a month. Their customer service is also ass, based on what I've read. With that discount link, you can get a pre-configured X1 Extreme with the GTX 1650, a 300 nit FHD display, 16 GB of RAM, and 512 GB SSD for $1470. That one weighs about 3.75 pounds. That should ship to you a lot faster than a custom order.

The MSI is lighter but it's not out yet so I can't say how good it'd be. The starting price of the Dell XPS 15 7590 is lower but you only get a four core i5 and integrated graphics. The lowest priced XPS 15 with a 1650 is $1550. You get only a 256 GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM. It's also higher priced than what I listed for the ThinkPad but that's largely because I don't know any discount links for Dell. That ones about 4 pounds.

As far as dimensions, I can't say for certain. They're all pretty compact for 15" laptops but that's it.

16 hours ago, BeeDoo said:

I’ve been comparing some laptops for a few days now and I’m still having trouble making a choice. I’m looking for something that I can use that will do very well in all the categories. I’ve had my eye on the razer blade stealth (13” or 15”) because of the size but I’m hesitant because of the reviews of build quality and durability. Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion of another that may be comparable? 

I recommend that you wait till the end of the month because intel is releasing a lot of laptops at IFA2019  that is currently going on. They are releasing their athena laptops, their creator focused laptops, 10th gen ice lake laptops and many more so I recommend you wait.

razer blade stealth and MSI GS65 stealth both are good option in term of editing and gaming. Here you find the good stats as well https://guruverdict.com/best-gaming-laptops-under-1500/ . Also i used GS65 stealth personally and performance wise its amazing. You get all in one because of its portability thin and light. On the other hand i didn't use Razor Blade personally but its one of the most recommended most of youtubers as well Linus  

MSI GS65 is your best bet.

Get it from HIDevolution for the added quality control and more importantly, choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" when customizing the laptop, that 90 USD upgrade alone drops temps by up to 15C which is super important when it comes to these thin and light laptops.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

There's also the option of going with GenTech PC. They do thermal paste and thermal pad upgrades for free, including with Conductonaut. However, I personally would just stick with Kryonaut since I'd be too worried about something going wrong. It's up to you, though.