how to undervolt a gtx 980 reference card?

squallypo

i wanna know if theres a way to undervolt this card to keep the wattage usage lower.

i was planning to use msi afterburning but when i tried to do ctrl+F it doesnt show the custom curve for the voltage.

perhaps someone can help me out with this.

Could lower the power. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Lower the power target and raise the core clock until you hit your desired results. It won't be as specific as editing the clock/voltage curve, but it'll basically achieve the same thing in the end.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

1 hour ago, Frankenburger said:

Lower the power target and raise the core clock until you hit your desired results. It won't be as specific as editing the clock/voltage curve, but it'll basically achieve the same thing in the end.

so like this?

voltage.PNG

15 minutes ago, squallypo said:

so like this?

voltage.PNG

Exactly :)

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

24 minutes ago, squallypo said:

may i ask, why do i need to raise the core clock? isnt that like overclocking it ?

Undervolting = restricting power while raising the default clock curve to maintain performance

Specific power points have fixed clock speeds. If all you do is lower the power target, then you are reducing power consumption while also using a lower clock speed.

For example, a default clock/voltage curve may tell your GPU to run at 1400MHz at 900mv. If your card uses 1050mv at 100% and runs at 1800MHz, and you want to maintain a comparable clock speed, you need to tell the GPU to run faster, otherwise you'll be running at 1400MHz.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Undervolting = restricting power while raising the default clock curve to maintain performance

Specific power points have fixed clock speeds. If all you do is lower the power target, then you are reducing power consumption while also using a lower clock speed.

For example, a default clock/voltage curve may tell your GPU to run at 1400MHz at 900mv. If your card uses 1050mv at 100% and runs at 1800MHz, and you want to maintain a comparable clock speed, you need to tell the GPU to run faster, otherwise you'll be running at 1400MHz.

i think i understand, but trying to keep my power consumption lower, while raising the core clock as i added 100+ wont it be damaging the gpu ? thanks for taking your time explaining this to me.

12 minutes ago, squallypo said:

i think i understand, but trying to keep my power consumption lower, while raising the core clock as i added 100+ wont it be damaging the gpu ? thanks for taking your time explaining this to me.

The only thing you risk is system instability, which you can correct if you undervolt incorrectly. The only way to damage a video card using MSI Afterburner is if you overvolt it to unsafe levels, which is basically an impossibility since the power target is locked.

Undervolting is perfectly safe. Just make sure you don't allow the undervolt to apply automatically until you know it's stable. If anything, undervolting may increase GPU longevity. Less power means less electricity running through the GPU, means less heat, means less work on the cooler. Increasing the core clock won't change that.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Frankenburger said:

The only thing you risk is system instability, which you can correct if you undervolt incorrectly. The only way to damage a video card using MSI Afterburner is if you overvolt it to unsafe levels, which is basically an impossibility since the power target is locked.

Undervolting is perfectly safe. Just make sure you don't allow the undervolt to apply automatically until you know it's stable. If anything, undervolting may increase GPU longevity. Less power means less current running through the GPU, means less heat, means less work on the cooler. Increasing the core clock won't change that.

i was checking gpuz while testing a game with the 78% power limit i didnt added the 100+ core clock at the time (I THINK), i noticed these values.

having limited the power shouldnt the wattage be lower? although that was max not nescesary stayed at it.

gpuze.PNG

4 minutes ago, squallypo said:

i was checking gpuz while testing a game with the 78% power limit i didnt added the 100+ core clock at the time (I THINK), i noticed these values.

having limited the power shouldnt the wattage be lower? although that was max not nescesary stayed at it.

gpuze.PNG

165w is generally what GTX980's consume under load, so there's definitely a decrease in power, especially if the average power consumption is below 161w. Though I've seen GPUz report weird values when using MSI Afterburner to undervolt. My suggestion would be to reference Afterburner's sensors to verify everything is running as it should.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

165w is generally what GTX980's consume under load, so there's definitely a decrease in power, especially if the average power consumption is below 161w. Though I've seen GPUz report weird values when using MSI Afterburner to undervolt. My suggestion would be to reference Afterburner's sensors to verify everything is running as it should.

last question i make i dont wanna trouble you more, what would be the values i should be getting with the current power limit of 78 with this card on msi afterburner? specificly the gpu voltage values

12 minutes ago, squallypo said:

last question i make i dont wanna trouble you more, what would be the values i should be getting with the current power limit of 78 with this card on msi afterburner? specificly the gpu voltage values

I honestly can't say. Power Target and voltage don't scale linearly with each other. Also, there's slight variations in each processor that could affect efficiency. I believe the GTX980 uses around 1050mv at stock, but I could be wrong. Though of it does, I would expect it to be around 900mv.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

I honestly can't say. Power Target and voltage don't scale linearly with each other. Also, there's slight variations in each processor that could affect efficiency. I believe the GTX980 uses around 1050mv at stock, but I could be wrong. Though of it does, I would expect it to be around 900mv.

i see ive seen it escalate over 1206v on the gpu voltage in msi afterburner even with power limit, but ill test around and disable  gpuz incase its fluctuating with it, thank you very much for your help.

2 minutes ago, squallypo said:

i see ive seen it escalate over 1206v on the gpu voltage in msi afterburner even with power limit, but ill test around and disable  gpuz incase its fluctuating with it, thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome.

The best way to confirm its using less power is to lock the fan speed and compare the GPU temps from stock to undervolt. If the temps go down while undervolted, then all is well.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler