Windows partition.

Undeadwolf
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
53 minutes ago, Undeadwolf said:

Okay, so I'm running really old hardware, finally upgraded my motherboard/CPU and PSU and now I'm looking at upgrading my memory, however, I was reading about windows partitions for anything larger then 2tb/16tb, does anyone know if I bre to go astronomically large and do dual 16tb if I would be able to use all 16 tb without partitions?

The 2TB thing is an issue if you're using a hard drive that's still using MBR partitioning instead of GPT. If it's still using MBR, you can convert it in Windows using Disk Manager or DISKPART in the command line.

The 16TB limit is due to using 4KB block size allocation. If you run into the limit you can increase block size, but keep in mind that this increases the minimum amount of space files will take up. I.e., files will now take up say 8KB chunks or whatever you set the allocation to instead of 4KB

Okay, so I'm running really old hardware, finally upgraded my motherboard/CPU and PSU and now I'm looking at upgrading my memory, however, I was reading about windows partitions for anything larger then 2tb/16tb, does anyone know if I bre to go astronomically large and do dual 16tb if I would be able to use all 16 tb without partitions?

It should be able to use all the space, but you might need a program. I have my 3TB and 4TB drive all working without partitions in Windows 10, but for 16TB that is questionable.

Assuming your mainboard supports harddisks larger than 2TB and you use GPT instead of MBR you should have no problems with a single 16TB partition.

53 minutes ago, Undeadwolf said:

The 2TB thing is an issue if you're using a hard drive that's still using MBR partitioning instead of GPT. If it's still using MBR, you can convert it in Windows using Disk Manager or DISKPART in the command line.

The 16TB limit is due to using 4KB block size allocation. If you run into the limit you can increase block size, but keep in mind that this increases the minimum amount of space files will take up. I.e., files will now take up say 8KB chunks or whatever you set the allocation to instead of 4KB