GPU advances - sharing my toughts

TheUnicornMan

Why would we need a next-gen GPU? I mean we have enough graphic processing power to play pretty much any game at enough FPS at 2.5k resolution. Why don't we just jump a gen and have a NVIDIA 7XX, AMD 8XXX supporting 4k resolution at 20-30 FPS on the lower end cards (GTX 750-750 ti)

This is just a general ideo as I don't really know how close 4k is to hit the consumer market it might as well delay the 8XX and 9XXX series instead of the 7XX and 8XXX.

What are your toughts?

It'd say it's really up to the software and game devs to release titles that actually stress the cards first. The vast majority of users are still on 1080p, let along 1440p at this current point given the massive price differences, I doubt many would want to drop a couple grand on a 4k monitor anytime soon (especially since higher DPI isn't as noticeable with a large monitor and such).

Supporting high resolutions would only make sense if there are enough affordable 4k monitors on the market. Of course you can game with a 1080p multi-monitor setup (which is generally much cheaper then a 4k-monitor at the moment), and in that case your idea of supporting high resolutions would make sense.

When talking about increasing performance of cards, they should apply that to the mobile-series of GCs.

When you say high-end game at 2.5k resolution, you mean with no anti-aliasing. However yes I agree, I'm still running a 6950 unlocked to a 6970, as I see no reason to upgrade my GPU right now. It plays Tribes: Ascend at 1440p, and plays everything else great as well! The next thing is the mobile market, where they should innovate. Tegra 3 is great and all, however competition is almost non existing, where I would love a closer race as with the desktop GPU from AMD and Nvidia.

'Why would we need a next-gen GPU?'

I wanna hear that when Crysis 3 comes out :D

'Why would we need a next-gen GPU?' I wanna hear that when Crysis 3 comes out :D

Haha :D It would be 2007 all over again.. Crysis, lulz 6800GT no problem!... Oh

Well Nvidia and Amd have already invested tons in the next gen the cant just say no we will skip it they would make huge losses.

It'd say it's really up to the software and game devs to release titles that actually stress the cards first. The vast majority of users are still on 1080p' date=' let along 1440p at this current point given the massive price differences, I doubt many would want to drop a couple grand on a 4k monitor anytime soon (especially since higher DPI isn't as noticeable with a large monitor and such).[/quote']

Supporting high resolutions would only make sense if there are enough affordable 4k monitors on the market. Of course you can game with a 1080p multi-monitor setup (which is generally much cheaper then a 4k-monitor at the moment)' date=' and in that case your idea of supporting high resolutions would make sense. When talking about increasing performance of cards, they should apply that to the mobile-series of GCs. [/quote']

That's what I was talking about when I said that I didn't know when 4k will be widespread on a consumer level

'Why would we need a next-gen GPU?' I wanna hear that when Crysis 3 comes out :D

LOL! True that.

Well Nvidia and Amd have already invested tons in the next gen the cant just say no we will skip it they would make huge losses.

This is also why I mentioned that they weren't neceserally gonna skip the very next ones, maybe they're gonna skip radeon 10XXX and GTX 10XX