Brand new Razer Blade 15 throttling issues

HadesCore
A few days ago I bought my new Razer Blade 15 Advanced (Early 2019) Model and its been thermal throttling and power limit throttling since I got it. I've undervolted the CPU with an offset of -0.160, matched the turbo short boost power max to the turbo boost power max (45W), I've updated all my drivers and the BIOS.

Here's what happens, I first noticed it when playing battlefield 5 I was getting lag and latency issues even on lowest settings so there was definitely something wrong (could also be GPU issues but I haven't even gotten to that point yet). When I downloaded Intel XTU to undervolt I noticed the power and thermal throttling on the CPU. Now when I stress test it with XTU it flickers power limit and thermal throttles on battery power, when I run the same test plugged in it only flickers power limit throttles. But im not hitting above 65-70 degrees C on XTU stress test so how is it thermal throttling at all?

When I stress tested it with RealBench, on battery power its thermal throttling only now but it's stuck on no flicker at all even at 60-70C. While stress testing plugged in its power limit throttling only and stuck on again, the temps raised to 80C on this run.

On Prim95 stress testing on battery power, thermal throttling was stuck on and power limit throttling was flickering, stress testing plugged in held power limit throttling pinned on but no thermal throttling. While running Prime95 the temperatures never exceeded 60C.

On IntelBurnTest its the same story, on battery power thermal throttling is pinned, plugged in power limit throttling is pinned, all while maintaining 60 degrees C.

These results don't make sense to me and I'm at a loss for what to do. I shouldn't be thermal throttling at 60C and I can't figure out how to stop the power limit throttling or why it's throttling in such a way when it's on battery power vs plugged in?
I've downloaded throttlestop now and im going to look up how to use it, but if anyone has gone through similar issues or knows why this is happening I'd highly appreciate your feedback.

Is it possible that I just got a faulty laptop? I really hope not.

Isn’t that what razers are famous for? Same as cramming so much in so little space has to cause throttling of some sorts ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Isn’t that what razers are famous for? Same as cramming so much in so little space has to cause throttling of some sorts ?

I was under the impression that they solved these issues with the 2019 iterations of the blade, that being a large reason that I chose to buy this among others.

Have you updated the BIOS and chipset? That's always the first thing you do when you get a new PC/laptop. Also lag/latency are not the same as FPS drops - are you getting FPS drops or lag/latency?

3 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Have you updated the BIOS and chipset? That's always the first thing you do when you get a new PC/laptop. Also lag/latency are not the same as FPS drops - are you getting FPS drops or lag/latency?

ive already updated the bios and chipset as stated in the original post, but im getting a bit of input lag it seems and some FPS drops

1 hour ago, HadesCore said:

ive already updated the bios and chipset as stated in the original post, but im getting a bit of input lag it seems and some FPS drops

Wait I don’t get what your issue is? Power limit throttling is normal, and you’re only getting thermal throttling on battery which you’re not normally doing super intensive tasks on battery anyway. I would download HwInfo64 and just see what it says, there are wayyyyy more sensors in it that could give you a better idea of what’s going on I guess if you’re worried about the battery therms throttling.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

Wait I don’t get what your issue is? Power limit throttling is normal, and you’re only getting thermal throttling on battery which you’re not normally doing super intensive tasks on battery anyway. I would download HwInfo64 and just see what it says, there are wayyyyy more sensors in it that could give you a better idea of what’s going on I guess if you’re worried about the battery therms throttling.

I just did some tests and in BFV and Witcher 3 im getting around 60C plugged in or unplugged, when I unplugged the cord in witcher 3 I went from 140-150FPS to 55-60FPS after unplugging, BFV plugged in I get 60-90FPS and 20-30FPS unplugged, Batteryboost is turned off in Geforceexperience btw so theres no FPS cap unplugged its just dropping performance dramatically. Ive gone in everything I can find with battery and performance values and set everything to max performance on battery to no avail.

2 minutes ago, HadesCore said:

I just did some tests and in BFV and Witcher 3 im getting around 60C plugged in or unplugged, when I unplugged the cord in witcher 3 I went from 140-150FPS to 55-60FPS after unplugging, BFV plugged in I get 60-90FPS and 20-30FPS unplugged, Batteryboost is turned off in Geforceexperience btw so theres no FPS cap unplugged its just dropping performance dramatically. Ive gone in everything I can find with battery and performance values and set everything to max performance on battery to no avail.

Unplugged performance is always dramatically worse you should never game on battery, if that laptop ran at full power on battery the entire battery would drain in 30 minutes. The Razer Blade Advanced also has a hard 60fps cap when on battery so you’ll never get above that’s FPS on battery.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

Unplugged performance is always dramatically worse you should never game on battery, if that laptop ran at full power on battery the entire battery would drain in 30 minutes. The Razer Blade Advanced also has a hard 60fps cap when on battery so you’ll never get above that’s FPS on battery.

Surely it cant be that dramatic of a performance drop as a standard, I could understand losing 30% performance on battery would be acceptable maybe a few years ago, but I didnt buy a $3500 laptop for it to only be playable plugged in. Ive been researching for months leading up to this purchase and in all the reviews and forums ive seen, not once did someone mention losing 60% performance on battery power, and Id think that would be a pretty prevalent thing to note given its price.

7 minutes ago, HadesCore said:

Surely it cant be that dramatic of a performance drop as a standard, I could understand losing 30% performance on battery would be acceptable maybe a few years ago, but I didnt buy a $3500 laptop for it to only be playable plugged in. Ive been researching for months leading up to this purchase and in all the reviews and forums ive seen, not once did someone mention losing 60% performance on battery power, and Id think that would be a pretty prevalent thing to note given its price.

No one mentioned it because no sane person does it, battery power is for browsing the web, watching videos and other light tasks. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell how poor battery life would be at full power.

45w/h CPU

80w/h GPU

20w/h screen

20w/h other (storage, ram, pch)

= 165w/h at full throttle

The battery is like 80w/h = 30 minutes battery life. Why do you think the PSU is 200w+?

You will not find any laptops that can game on battery power, it is not a thing.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, schwellmo92 said:

"You will not find any laptops that can game on battery power, it is not a thing."

Thats a big statement, you sure you wanna stand by that?

19 hours ago, HadesCore said:

Thats a big statement, you sure you wanna stand by that?

Yes. Do you have any examples of ones that game on battery?

On 9/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, schwellmo92 said:

Yes. Do you have any examples of ones that game on battery?

lol I can game on this laptop on battery as is, it would run csgo, overwatch, fortnite, anno 1800, ect

all above 60FPS and even up to 144FPS "gaming" on battery power is obviously feesible, just because I cant hit above 60FPS on AAA titles doesnt mean it cant game on battery power, im just wondering why it drop smore than half performance on battery power, ive applied liquid metal to the cpu and gpu dies along with other optimisations, its helped quite a bit but I think it can still get a bit more out of it.

Not that you care lol

but thanks for your completely useless comment!

2 hours ago, HadesCore said:

lol I can game on this laptop on battery as is, it would run csgo, overwatch, fortnite, anno 1800, ect

all above 60FPS and even up to 144FPS "gaming" on battery power is obviously feesible, just because I cant hit above 60FPS on AAA titles doesnt mean it cant game on battery power, im just wondering why it drop smore than half performance on battery power, ive applied liquid metal to the cpu and gpu dies along with other optimisations, its helped quite a bit but I think it can still get a bit more out of it.

Not that you care lol

but thanks for your completely useless comment!

You’re just salty because you don’t like the answer. I already told you the performance drops off massively because the battery wouldn’t last very long at full throttle, that’s how the manufacturers intended them to behave. In the example of the Razer it even drops the screen refresh rate to 60Hz on battery.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:15 PM, schwellmo92 said:

You’re just salty because you don’t like the answer. I already told you the performance drops off massively because the battery wouldn’t last very long at full throttle, that’s how the manufacturers intended them to behave. In the example of the Razer it even drops the screen refresh rate to 60Hz on battery.

lol mine stays at 144hz, im not "salty" the answer was just redundant because as I stated in the original post, im aware that performance drops on battery power, but its dropping more than it should, and thats what im trying to resolve. You're obviously not trying to help though, so go be a smartass on someone elses thread ?

1 hour ago, HadesCore said:

lol mine stays at 144hz, im not "salty" the answer was just redundant because as I stated in the original post, im aware that performance drops on battery power, but its dropping more than it should, and thats what im trying to resolve. You're obviously not trying to help though, so go be a smartass on someone elses thread ?

How much should it be dropping? What proof/stats do you then have to backup your claim?

I can see in this article performance for the CPU is a fifth on battery and GPU performance is almost halved under a gaming load https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-15-Advanced-Model-i7-9750H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-240-Hz-Laptop-Review.420692.0.html

Running on battery power will still reduce overall performance. A 3DMark Fire Strike run on batteries returns Physics and Graphics scores of 3535 and 11292 points, respectively, compared to 17038 and 20718 points when on mains.”

5 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

How much should it be dropping? What proof/stats do you then have to backup your claim?

I can see in this article performance for the CPU is a fifth on battery and GPU performance is almost halved under a gaming load https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-15-Advanced-Model-i7-9750H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-240-Hz-Laptop-Review.420692.0.html

Running on battery power will still reduce overall performance. A 3DMark Fire Strike run on batteries returns Physics and Graphics scores of 3535 and 11292 points, respectively, compared to 17038 and 20718 points when on mains.”

mate im not here to prove anything when did this become a debate lol?

im just trying to get the most out of my laptop, you're wasting your time trying to convice me that "this is just how it is"

i've already made significant improvements with more to come, which were suggested to me by people actually trying to help and not just prove a point.

Someone on reddit suggested uninstalling Intel Thermal Framework so im going to look into that now.

To anyone actually interested for future reference, after applying liquid metal, undervolting, matching the turbo boost short power max to the turbo boost power max, removing all the DPTF and making sure it doesn't come back, a bunch of other general system optimisations such as debloating, customising power plans, registy edits, ect. Im glad to share that i've gained more FPS on battery power to where most games are playable to a more acceptable level. All in all from absolutely everything ive done, (hardware and software tweaks included) I've gained about 20-30FPS which I tested by installing a new SSD with a fresh install, compared to after all the optmisations. I still think theres a bit of potential to be gained as there are some things i've noticed in aida64 that dont make complete sense so I've got more research to do.