Overclocking with Asus B250M-basalt

Go to solution Solved by Epimetheus,

Intel's non Z motherboards never support overclocking. It just means it can run it, not overclock it

Hello everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me about overclocking the CPU (i.e. a core i7-6700K) on an Asus B250M-basalt MB (BIOS version 1206). I bought the board secondhand, so I don't have the manual, and for whatever reason information and support online seems non-existent.. Does this MB support overclocking? Has anyone overclocked on it before?

The offical CPU support list (and other MB info) can be found here:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/B250M-BASALT/HelpDesk_CPU/

If an overclockable CPU (I'm considering buying a i7-6700K) is in the support list, does that mean the MB supports overclocking it or just running it?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

You could see if there is a bios that still supports BLCK overclocking, but that is not conventional overclocking (Which - as said above - is not possible).

It is also somewhat unstable, since I don't think you can increase voltage..

I wouldn't bother with that, to be honest.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

You could see if there is a bios that still supports BLCK overclocking,

generally BCLK is a Z series exclusive feature as well, so a Z390 motherboard and an 8700 would be able to OC, but not a B360 board and an 8700K.

also, @Triarius a B250 motherboard does NOT support an i7 8700k, 200 series chipsets only support 6XXX and 7XXX processors. If you want an i7 8700, get a 300 series chipset like a B360 motherboard or H370. If you want to OC, get an i7 8700K and Z370 motherboard.

thanks to my tiny resolution I'm currently using I saw the 6 as an 8

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks for your help everyone, it makes sense.

I'll stick to buying a non-overclockable CPU.