I also need help finding a new power supply

Tomi04

Hello fellow internet people!

Last week I have decided that I need more storage space, so I got a new HDD (2TB Seagate BarraCuda 3.5"  /ST2000DM008/). I managed to install it, everything was dandy. A few days later however, while just browsing the internet, my computer turned off/restarted on its own. At first I assumed that "computers, it could happen", but after the third time I thought it's not coincidental, so I disconnected the new hard drive, since then, everything seems normal. Based on the random restart loops, I assume my power supply is not enough anymore, so I would like to buy a new one. I tried to do the research on my own, but since it's my first time doing something like this, it may be better to ask you guys for help. 

My specs: (my RAM and SSD is a bit older but I couldn't find those in the site)  and my current PSU: Chieftec GPS-500a8 500w

I haven't overclocked any of my stuff and I don't plan to upgrade any other stuff, because these are currently enough for my needs.

I understand that a quality power supply is necessity for the long run, but at the moment it is an unpleasant investment, so I would like to spend as little money as possible. My price range is around 65 USD, but I am willing to go up to 100 if there aren't any other options (I will cry though).

I live in Hungary, so some stuff may be not available at the local vendors, and amazon offers may not help either. (yay 21st century and 27% VAT)

I am grateful that you have read this, and thank you in advance if you will attempt to help me.

Corsair RMx 

be quiet pore power 11

or in the cheaper range

corsair TXM or maybe even a CX unit 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

damn, you really wanna make me cry.... :D 

thanks for the reply, what about the wattage though, at least 600W? 

20 minutes ago, Tomi04 said:

damn, you really wanna make me cry.... :D 

thanks for the reply, what about the wattage though, at least 600W? 

550w be plenty. Potentially even 450e but not sure on that 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Are you sure on that 550W? I wouldn't like to waste money and time unnecesarily, because theoretically my current PSU should be enough, but unfortunately experience says otherwise.

Where are you located? depending on your local market there may be other power supplies that are cheaper but in the same ball park

As for system wattage a 400-500W PSU will last you a long time, especially since your system will typically draw 100-250W, maybe 300 under full load. If you are spending more time using the pc than not, a 500W+ psu may be worthwhile

I'd look for PSUs in tier B and A

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

Where are you located? depending on your local market there may be other power supplies that are cheaper but in the same ball park

As for system wattage a 400-500W PSU will last you a long time, especially since your system will typically draw 100-250W, maybe 300 under full load. If you are spending more time using the pc than not, a 500W+ psu may be worthwhile

I'd look for PSUs in tier B and A

I'm living in Budapest, Hungary (Central/Eastern Europe). My concern is, if my current 500W PSU seems not enough, wouldn't buying another 400-500W PSU would be just burning money? 

17 minutes ago, Tomi04 said:

I'm living in Budapest, Hungary (Central/Eastern Europe). My concern is, if my current 500W PSU seems not enough, wouldn't buying another 400-500W PSU would be just burning money? 

I'm going to be honest I've never heard of that brand and can't speak for its quality. The difference between a good quality PSU and a bad one can be light and day.

If you have dirty or inconsistent power a good power supply will be able to both protect your components more as well as hold up better itself.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

6 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

550w be plenty. Potentially even 450e but not sure on that 

Correct, 450w would be fine.

6 hours ago, Tomi04 said:

Are you sure on that 550W? I wouldn't like to waste money and time unnecesarily, because theoretically my current PSU should be enough, but unfortunately experience says otherwise.

If it helps PCPP gives a wattage estimate and if you click on it, it will show a breakdown of expected power consumption per part.
It's far from perfect, but if you aren't sure of what parts use how much power it might be a good starting point. The estimate for your PCPP list shows 336W. I would say that's a bit high, especially since things like HDDs don't use 20W. Realistically I doubt you'd ever go over 250W. 

image.png.e14498972833f2c1001f37e0056cf06b.png

6 hours ago, Tomi04 said:

7 hours ago, Tomi04 said:

and my current PSU: Chieftec GPS-500a8 500w

The Chieftec GPS-500A8 is a rather poor quality unit. Not something I would recommend. It would probably be worth the cost of buying a new unit just to replace the old Chieftec one.
Your system doesn't require a high end PSU, so you should be able to get something suitable within your budget even with Hungary's poor prices and high tax. Do you have a link to stores that sell PSUs? (Doesn't matter if they're not in English, I can translate or shop by pictures)

7 hours ago, Tomi04 said:

Last week I have decided that I need more storage space, so I got a new HDD (2TB Seagate BarraCuda 3.5"  /ST2000DM008/). I managed to install it, everything was dandy. A few days later however, while just browsing the internet, my computer turned off/restarted on its own. At first I assumed that "computers, it could happen", but after the third time I thought it's not coincidental, so I disconnected the new hard drive, since then, everything seems normal. Based on the random restart loops, I assume my power supply is not enough anymore, so I would like to buy a new one.

Does the HDD work in another system?
If you unplug the other HDDs and use only the OS drive (SSD?) and the new HDD does it still shut down?

Looking at the product specifications for your Chieftec PSU, it only has 3x SATA power connectors. You listed 4 SATA devices which require power in your PCPP list. How are you powering the SSDs & HDDs if the PSU does not have enough SATA connectors?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thank you for your answer.

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

You listed 4 SATA devices which require power in your PCPP list. How are you powering the SSDs & HDDs if the PSU does not have enough SATA connectors?

Sorry, my bad, there is only one 2TB Barracuda, so the 3 connectors are enough.

Here are four stores (I would prefer these, because these have shops in the city, and I wouldn't trust the Hungarian Post with transporting anything of real value)

the price range would be up to 31 000 FT (~105 USD) 

https://www.pcx.hu/tapegyseg_minosegi?gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867byjO3JNp_rLXsZ_iNlUJeKf2nkNQdZRfQf1KA3sElOHvqp_NBH3eDGBoCrYsQAvD_BwE

https://www.alza.hu/pc-tapegysegek/18849164.htm

https://www.aqua.hu/termekek/tapegyseg-85.html

https://edigital.hu/notebook-szamitastechnika/komponens/tapegyseg-c405

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

Does the HDD work in another system?
If you unplug the other HDDs and use only the OS drive (SSD?) and the new HDD does it still shut down?

Unfortunately I don't have an option to try it in another system, but if I only use one HDD (either of them) beside the SSD, there seems to be no problem, that's why I thought that the problem is with the power supply.

21 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Corsair RMx 

be quiet pore power 11

or in the cheaper range

corsair TXM or maybe even a CX unit 

Are you suggesting right now, that the Pure Power 11 is better than both the TXm AND the CX, and similar quality to the RMx?? 

If that's the case then I will say that even the CX surpasses the Pure Power 11 in quality. 

This is why I turned to you guys. :D

Every time I thought that I have found something good in the forums, someone was always there to contradict it. :D 

(I'm not saying you are wrong, all I'm saying is that I don't haveenough experience with these to choose)

11 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Are you suggesting right now, that the Pure Power 11 is better than both the TXm AND the CX, and similar quality to the RMx?? 

If that's the case then I will say that even the CX surpasses the Pure Power 11 in quality. 

13 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Sorry my bad. I meant the straight power, not pure. Typo ?

3 minutes ago, Tomi04 said:

This is why I turned to you guys. :D

Every time I thought that I have found something good in the forums, someone was always there to contradict it. :D 

(I'm not saying you are wrong, all I'm saying is that I don't haveenough experience with these to choose)

Yeah it was a typo on my end. See post above 

4 hours ago, Tomi04 said:

The MWE would be the better option. The CXM is good enough, though.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.