Hydro X loop question

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,
1 hour ago, rafbanaan said:

So a single Black Ice SR2 MP would be enough to cool my 2700X and 2080 Ti or should I add a second one to be sure?

So this is a tricky question. Will it be able to handle both... yes. It just depends on what deltaT you are comfortable with. The higher the deltaT (distance between ambient and water temp under load) the higher your component temps across the board. So you might have slow fans with those components at a 20c deltaT... of you are fine with the temps at that delta then you are ok. If not you would need to either increase the fan speed (move more air) or add another radiator (add more surface area). 

This is the "specs" from HWlabs

SR2-480 MP         2000W       QUAD       4 X 120mm

So it can theoretically move 2000W of heat which is a buttload, but it would require a TON of airflow to do that. So if you are fine with potentially having audible fans under a really heavy load it would be fine. My guess is that with the right fans you won't notice it even at 1200 rpms.

I want to switch to a custom loop config for my system mainly for the noise levels (and gpu is getting hot). Currently I use an AIO for my cpu and the GPU is an aftermarket model.

System specs: Ryzen 2700X en MSI RTX 2080 Ti Duke.

I want to watercool these 2 components. I was looking at the new Corsair Hydro X serie and came on a single 480 XR7 (54mm thick) with Corsair ML120's (already bought those with a sale). I have a Corsair 1000D as case.

I wonder if it will be enough to cool both (I will not overclock) on an almost no noise level. If possible turn the fans on lowest RPM? 

Also.. since Im using the Corsair 1000D I was thinking of putting the rad in the front as exhaust. The top is not possible since it almost tops my desk with like 2cm of a clearance. The heat will build up there (issue that I now have with my AIO).

Always open for other suggestions, but I don't want to spend the insane amounts you can throw at a custom loop ? I won't mind a 4-5 degree hotter loop if the noise levels are almost quietly.

The thicker rads dont really give you that much more cooling power vs a thinner one. And you really need fans set up in a push pull. That said it should be enough to cool. If memory serves me right i think those are around 600w  i use 360's in my systems. but i think those 480's are right around 600. Just get some fans on it in a push pull and then buy the corsair commander. $60ish or so but worth it. Use that to control your fans and pump based on the water temp. It works really nice and will help keep it quiet and give you the best performance you can get.

I run all the new hydro x stuff on my system and its great.

10 hours ago, rafbanaan said:

If possible turn the fans on lowest RPM? 

From experience I can say the ML120's in my build push enough air through the radiators even at 500 rpm so you can set them really slow. That said, I'm running 2 360 rads for a 200W system so you may to run them a bit faster.

4 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

From experience I can say the ML120's in my build push enough air through the radiators even at 500 rpm so you can set them really slow. That said, I'm running 2 360 rads for a 200W system so you may to run them a bit faster.

Keep in mind hes looking at a 54mm thick rad. So it will take a bit more rpm to push air thought it vs a thinner rad. Thats why i said set them up in a push pull

11 minutes ago, bignaz said:

Keep in mind hes looking at a 54mm thick rad. So it will take a bit more rpm to push air thought it vs a thinner rad. Thats why i said set them up in a push pull

but its 13 fpi for the corsair 480 vs 19 fpi for my ek pe360's.

You'll be fine with a 480mm. I'm running a 5820K and RVII on a slim 360 + 120, a thicker 480 will cool your combo fine. Built a rig for a friend that runs a 6700K and R9 290X on a single slim 280mm, that's fine too. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Keep in mind he wants silent.

I can cool his system off a 240 with some deltas but that goes against what he is wanting.

Just set up your fans in a push pull. 500-800rpm and you will be golden. Use the corsair commander to set the pump to something like 20% and and fans at 500rpm till your loop starts to heat soak and ramp them up from that.

Well I'm always open to suggestions. I just want cool(ish) components and silent work even under load.

Well I'm always open to suggestions. I just want cool(ish) components and silent work even under load.

Edit: 

So I keep the single 480 rad with a push pull ML120 setup on low RPM (with fan speed controlled by water temps)? 

A study done by I forget who made the basic conclusion that rads with low fin count and thin are optimal for 1000 rpm fan or less. All rads perform about the same between 1200-1800 rpm, and thick high fin rads above 2200 rpm.

Since I don't want to create a new topic ?

The Corsair XR7 is not yet avaliable where I live so I was thinking.. what about 2x EK coolstreams SE 480mm? 

On 8/30/2019 at 1:22 PM, rafbanaan said:

Since I don't want to create a new topic ?

The Corsair XR7 is not yet avaliable where I live so I was thinking.. what about 2x EK coolstreams SE 480mm? 

Also consider the hardware labs nemesis 480 GTX. It is also a good all around radiator. If you want pure silence though then th SR2 might be better. If you are going push pull though and get fans that can do 1000-1200 rpm with minimal noise then the GTX is basically unbeatable. Plus it can move a absolute buttload of heat when needed at the cost of more sound.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:22 PM, AngryBeaver said:

Also consider the hardware labs nemesis 480 GTX. It is also a good all around radiator. If you want pure silence though then th SR2 might be better. If you are going push pull though and get fans that can do 1000-1200 rpm with minimal noise then the GTX is basically unbeatable. Plus it can move a absolute buttload of heat when needed at the cost of more sound.

Yeah, I want to get the system as quit as possible. I bought a second duo pack of those ML 120. So I have 8 in total. Should I wait for the Corsair XR7 and get 2? Or 1 in push/pull or just jump on the SR2 and also here with 2 or 1 with push pull.

If going Sr2 there isn't much need for push pull. It has low FPI and isn't a thick rad. As for the Xr7 I have yet to see any benchmarks comparing them to other rads... I know they were made by Hardware labs (same people that make SR2), but we don't know what features they share with their other products.

I doubt they are bad by any means, but without knowing more about them I can't recommend them one way or another.

I'm on a 480mm HW Labs Black Ice SR2 MP with four Corsair ML120s spinning at low RPM, which pushes air through. Under load, they don't go past ~800-900 RPM, even if I put a 100% load for rendering projects and my CPU temps don't go past 69º average on the package.

I'm planning on adding my upcoming GeForce RTX 2080 Ti into my loop, and I do believe that the radiator alone should handle the kinds of load it'll be subjected to while remaining cool and quiet.

What's important here is all of my fan curves are based on coolant temperature, where it's more granular and controlled.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

19 hours ago, Jurunce said:

I'm on a 480mm HW Labs Black Ice SR2 MP with four Corsair ML120s spinning at low RPM, which pushes air through. Under load, they don't go past ~800-900 RPM, even if I put a 100% load for rendering projects and my CPU temps don't go past 69º average on the package.

I'm planning on adding my upcoming GeForce RTX 2080 Ti into my loop, and I do believe that the radiator alone should handle the kinds of load it'll be subjected to while remaining cool and quiet.

What's important here is all of my fan curves are based on coolant temperature, where it's more granular and controlled.

So a single Black Ice SR2 MP would be enough to cool my 2700X and 2080 Ti or should I add a second one to be sure?

For what its worth I am using a single 480 35mm thick rad to cool my 3600 and 2080ti that I have a solid overclock on and have ZERO issues with heat

1 hour ago, rafbanaan said:

So this is a tricky question. Will it be able to handle both... yes. It just depends on what deltaT you are comfortable with. The higher the deltaT (distance between ambient and water temp under load) the higher your component temps across the board. So you might have slow fans with those components at a 20c deltaT... of you are fine with the temps at that delta then you are ok. If not you would need to either increase the fan speed (move more air) or add another radiator (add more surface area). 

So it can theoretically move 2000W of heat which is a buttload, but it would require a TON of airflow to do that. So if you are fine with potentially having audible fans under a really heavy load it would be fine. My guess is that with the right fans you won't notice it even at 1200 rpms.

It will be well over enough to cool. I am personally against custom loops due to the amount of risk involved. But if it is truly getting hot then go for it if you think you can handle it and have the patience. (Never try to do it fast I mean never.) Make sure everything is tight 

19 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Thanks for the answer! To answer on the last 'question'. I won't do any crazy overclocks - I do play the latest game with ultra setting, but I assume that that is not the big heavy load, but I want to keep the fans on a 500RPM. 

With the summer the room temps were pretty high and when I was gaming I could feel that the GPU was throttling because of the heat. Oh, and I had the noise of a vacuumcleaner ? 

I think I'll go with a single rad first and see what it gives. I can always add a second one later on and keep my left over ML 120's as case fans on a 500RPM.. thats my idea atm.

2 hours ago, rafbanaan said:

Thanks for the answer! To answer on the last 'question'. I won't do any crazy overclocks - I do play the latest game with ultra setting, but I assume that that is not the big heavy load, but I want to keep the fans on a 500RPM. 

With the summer the room temps were pretty high and when I was gaming I could feel that the GPU was throttling because of the heat. Oh, and I had the noise of a vacuumcleaner ? 

I think I'll go with a single rad first and see what it gives. I can always add a second one later on and keep my left over ML 120's as case fans on a 500RPM.. thats my idea atm.

Can you explain why you need 500rpm on the fans? If you are going for quiet then normally you can hit 800-1200 on good fans before they get audible. Second, this isn't going to make your room cooler and room temp will still play a huge part in the temp of your components.

If you have sufficient radiator space (beyond your ambient temp this is the most important part of cooling) followed very closely by the type of fans you are using.

If you have enough rad space, get good quiet fans.  I run 10x Arctic P12's @ max RPM across 600mm of radiator space on RR2 rig in sig and that PC is dead silent, you can barely here it spool up the fans when you turn it on.  Do a lot of research on the fans you use.  My PC sits at knee height right next to me.

Ive also used high end static pressure fans - quiet at low RPM, super loud at high RPM (the high end ones usually go super fast compared to say, the Arctics I mentioned) they work great as well just super expensive.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Second, this isn't going to make your room cooler and room temp will still play a huge part in the temp of your components.

I was not hinting at that.. just that the temps were pretty hot in the room, so the component temps and cooler noises were even higher.

I've used the wrong words to explain myself :)