Making an AP

Kabom

Yo! 

Im trying to make my own ap out of an old router. What I have done is disabled the DCHP service on the router and given it a ip adress +1 of the standard router. However I cant get this to work after having changed socket for the power and it turing off. What I have tried is to change the ip several times, one in the DCHP zone and one before it (One above the standard gateway). I get the connection from the ap to the router via ethernet but cant get internet access via wireless. Any ideas?

Factory reset it, now I got internet access but cant gain access to the ap gui. 

What you want to do here is enable bridged mode. Bridged mode will disable the router functionality and allow clients to get IPs from the primary router making this one just an AP.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What you want to do here is enable bridged mode. Bridged mode will disable the router functionality and allow clients to get IPs from the primary router making this one just an AP.

Old router, doesn't have the feature 

45 minutes ago, Kabom said:

Yo! 

Im trying to make my own ap out of an old router. What I have done is disabled the DCHP service on the router and given it a ip adress +1 of the standard router. However I cant get this to work after having changed socket for the power and it turing off. What I have tried is to change the ip several times, one in the DCHP zone and one before it (One above the standard gateway). I get the connection from the ap to the router via ethernet but cant get internet access via wireless. Any ideas?

Here is what you want to do. Disable DHCP, you can also turn of NAT and the Firewall. Make sure that the IP address used by this old router doesnt fall in to the DHCP pool of the main router. So for example when I did this, the main router was 192.168.1.1, the old router  was 192.168.1.2 and my DHCP pool started at 192.168.1.100. So no conflicts. Then you want to connect the old router via the LAN port to the main router via its LAN port. That by passes all the NAT and firewall and all that shit. This config should work, as I have tested it before. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Here is what you want to do. Disable DHCP, you can also turn of NAT and the Firewall. Make sure that the IP address used by this old router doesnt fall in to the DHCP pool of the main router. So for example when I did this, the main router was 192.168.1.1, the old router  was 192.168.1.2 and my DHCP pool started at 192.168.1.100. So no conflicts. Then you want to connect the old router via the LAN port to the main router via its LAN port. That by passes all the NAT and firewall and all that shit. This config should work, as I have tested it before. 

Do I need to config the router before I connect or can I configure it later?

7 minutes ago, Kabom said:

Do I need to config the router before I connect or can I configure it later?

Yes. Configure everything before you connect them together. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yes. Configure everything before you connect them together. 

On the 2nd router, the DCHP pool is 2 to 254 while its 100 to 254 on the 1st. Do I need to limit it on the 2nd router?

Yes. I know the DCHP should be turned off but the last bar is still open to be changed after the DCHP server is turned off. 

2 minutes ago, Kabom said:

On the 2nd router, the DCHP pool is 2 to 254 while its 100 to 254. Do I need to limit it on the 2nd router?

Yes. I know the DCHP should be turned off but the last bar is still open to be changed after the DCHP server is turned off. 

Once its off it wont cause issue. So you dont need to do anything but shut it off. The DHCP server on the first router will pick up the slack. 

22 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Once its off it wont cause issue. So you dont need to do anything but shut it off. The DHCP server on the first router will pick up the slack. 

It worked for like 5 min then lost internet access. The local access seems to offline too for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Kabom said:

It worked for like 5 min then lost internet access. The local access seems to offline too for some reason. 

Are you using LAN to LAN. The WAN port on the old router can NOT be used. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Are you using LAN to LAN. The WAN port on the old router can NOT be used. 

LAN to LAN 

The internet access is out completely on my phone, on my laptop I cant get access to the 2nd router gui and on my test laptop I got full access.  

1 minute ago, Kabom said:

The internet access is out completely on my phone, on my laptop I cant get access to the 2nd router gui and on my test laptop I got full access.  

My guess is something is configured wrong. Did you change the DHCP settings on your first router? Remember, you have to make sure that the second routers IP address falls outside the DHCP server pool or your going to have issues. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

My guess is something is configured wrong. Did you change the DHCP settings on your first router? Remember, you have to make sure that the second routers IP address falls outside the DHCP server pool or your going to have issues. 

Its 192.168.10.2 and the first router is 192.168.10.1 with a DCHP pool of 192.168.10.100 > 192.168.10.254

1 hour ago, Kabom said:

Reset and tried again. Same problem

Could be a firmware issue. Hard to say. You could try 3rd party firmware.