External TB3 NVME vs 2.5" SATA III SSD

Zeddeck

So I picked up a Lenovo Y740 15" last month and have been pretty happy with its performance. The half-Tb NVME it shipped with is pretty snappy, but I need more space. Unfortunately the board only has one M.2 slot, so I'd need to get a SATA 3 drive to keep it all internal.

Now, I started thinking about external drives, because most of my ports would easily support the 6gb/s that SATA III drives usually run at. Then I realized: I have a thunderbolt 3 port. That supports up to 40gb/s, which could easily support an NVME drive. Turns out that yes, you can get external m.2 enclosures that support TB3, though they don't come cheap. But, it would allow me to have additional NVME storage which is far faster than any 2.5" sad I could get for the internal bay.

Long story short, I'm considering getting a TB3 M.2 enclosure instead of a more conventional SSD. Would it even work as a long-term solution, and will I get full NVME performance, or is it a monumental waste of money for a marginal and slightly unstable speed boost?

Or am I just dumb for even considering this?

What do you even need NVME for?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For the extra cost, I don't think an NVMe drive would be worthwhile in this scenario. If all you need is reasonably quick storage expansion for stuff like games, photos and other files (as opposed to needing the space for something more intensive like processing a lot of high definition raw video files), getting a SATA SSD and putting it in the free internal slot is the smartest solution. You can pick up decent 1TB SSDs for $90-$110.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What do you even need NVME for?

Less of a need and more of an idea I wanted to bounce off some people with more building and technical experience.

Planning for what might become viable as Moore's law applies itself and SSDs become less and less relevant.

In general, I'm considering stuff that could help future-proof my setup.

53 minutes ago, Zeddeck said:

Less of a need and more of an idea I wanted to bounce off some people with more building and technical experience.

Planning for what might become viable as Moore's law applies itself and SSDs become less and less relevant.

In general, I'm considering stuff that could help future-proof my setup.

Unless you do some soft of data analysis programming or a lot of video editing, buying NVME will make 0 difference to you.

Boot time, program launching, gaming, none of that is any faster with NVME.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020