RX 5700XT vs RTX 2070 Super?

Giga Bus Driver

As title says, I'm looking to buy one of these cards as I finally got the prices for 5700XT AIB cards and can preorder them at my local electronics store. I doubt Powercolour will be available and sold in my country so I have to go with other options.

I was thinking of choosing between the ASUS Strix 5700XT OC model or for $100 more EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra. I won't use RTX or DLSS so judging purely on POWAA.

Is the EVGA RTX 2070 Super worth the extra $100 or is performance difference too little? So far from the reviews I've seen, stock 5700XT is like 10 fps behind a reference 2070S on most games except Metro Exodus?

I don't think the 2070 Super values a whole 100$ more than the 5700XT... honestly speaking I'd only consider nVidia if you want the highest end (2080 Super and 2080 Ti) or aiming for like the GTX 1660 for affordable high end 1080p gaming.

The in-between really favors the RX5700 and RX5700XT a lot more, have in mind even if many games are promising DXR Ray Tracing, the technology isn't mature enough to be worth the performance penalties specially with the lower end RTX cards and nowadays Rasterization techniques are good enough to make games look beautiful.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The performance is almost identical. The 4700 XT is the better buy imo

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

I don't think the 2070 Super values a whole 100$ more than the 5700XT... honestly speaking I'd only consider nVidia if you want the highest end (2080 Super and 2080 Ti) or aiming for like the GTX 1660 for affordable high end 1080p gaming.

The in-between really favors the RX5700 and RX5700XT a lot more, have in mind even if many games are promising DXR Ray Tracing, the technology isn't mature enough to be worth the performance penalties specially with the lower end RTX cards and nowadays Rasterization techniques are good enough to make games look beautiful.

Ah well I'm more of a player who tries to get at least 144hz fps so I decrease graphics settings. Will prob never use RTX and DLSS anyways. Just wondering if RTX 2070S has a performance difference worth $100. Sure the EVGA XC Ultra isn't a top quality card like the Strix but it should still be quiet and cool enough.

The most bang-for-the-buck here is the RX 5700XT for sure. I don't think it's worth paying a whole $100 more just to get very little performance gain. If you're not into that ray-tracing, there's no real point in going for the RTX 2070 Super. Besides, not many games to this day even take advantage of that feature anyways. Don't really see game devs working on it in the future either.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The performance is almost identical. The 4700 XT is the better buy imo

Really? From reviews Ive seen the 5700XT performs 10fps less than RTX 2070S at stock for stock

1 minute ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Really? From reviews Ive seen the 5700XT performs 10fps less than RTX 2070S at stock for stock

Are you looking at the aftermarket 5700 XTs? Cause the difference is less than 5%

1 minute ago, knoyue said:

The most bang-for-the-buck here is the RX 5700XT for sure. I don't think it's worth paying a whole $100 more just to get very little performance gain. If you're not into that ray-tracing, there's no real point in going for the RTX 2070 Super. Besides, not many games to this day even take advantage of that feature anyways. Don't really see game devs working on it in the future either.

I see. Yea ray tracing is not important me. I just dont know how much of a difference there is between a high end 5700XT vs a mid to high end RTX 2070S. I was thinking of just stretching a bit more if 2070S had a decent improvment worth the extra $$$

No it isn't worth the extra $100. The only reason you would get the 2070 Super is if you really really really really really want ray tracing, or you need CUDA, or already have a gsync monitor, or if you're a 10 year old fortnite kiddie who thinks AMD is terrible, hot and slow and has been brainwashed by Intel and Nvidia (Too many of those, RIP to them)

Given that you don't care about ray tracing, the 5700XT is by far the better buy. But yeah, if you can find the Red Devil, buy that instead cause it's cheaper.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Are you looking at the aftermarket 5700 XTs? Cause the difference is less than 5%

Well I guess? The Sapphire 5700XT pulse vs 2070S FE. Shown on gamersnexus review video.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The 2070 super is faster. Stop saying they are equal, because they really arent. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The 2070 super is faster. Stop saying they are equal, because they really arent. 

The margin is so small that its basically the same performance level. You're looking at a 4.7% delta across most games. 

5 minutes ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Well I guess? The Sapphire 5700XT pulse vs 2070S FE. Shown on gamersnexus review video.

So both boosting as high as they can. There is no real stock vs stock, both cars will autoboost and auto over lock themselves to the max. You decide if 5-10fps on top the 5700 XT is worth 100$ to you. For me, it's not. That's enough money for a 1TB SSD

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The margin is so small that its basically the same performance level. You're looking at a 4.7% delta across most games. 

Then they are not the same.......

And the delta is there. The 2070s is faster by a 5-10% margin.

Oh well. Got to ask as I'm rather new to this. Whats the difference between the Sapphire Pulse and the ASUS Strix? Because the ASUS Strix costs $90 more than the Sapphire Pulse. Is there a performance difference or a much bigger OC potential? Was only looking at ASUS strix cuz it looks better and Buildzoid was extremely excited about it.

Just now, Giga Bus Driver said:

Oh well. Got to ask as I'm rather new to this. Whats the difference between the Sapphire Pulse and the ASUS Strix? Because the ASUS Strix costs $90 more than the Sapphire Pulse. Is there a performance difference or a much bigger OC potential? Was only looking at ASUS strix cuz it looks better and Buildzoid was extremely excited about it.

It's a bigger. Ooler so it will be quoter. Performance is nearly the same. 

Just now, 5x5 said:

It's a bigger. Ooler so it will be quoter. Performance is nearly the same. 

What about parts quality or OC headroom? Will i be paying $90 more for just an extra fan and some rgb lights?

1 minute ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

What about parts quality or OC headroom? Will i be paying $90 more for just an extra fan and some rgb lights?

Pretty much. The Sapphire Pulse is excellent already - the extra phases or chokes won't mean much - maybe 20-50MHz but that's hardly worth the money considering the Pulse is already quiet, cool and powerful

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the 2070s is also 36% to 43% more expensive (in my country)

5-10% more perf for 36%-43% more money ...

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

the 2070s is also 36% to 43% more expensive (in my country)

5-10% more perf for 36%-43% more money ...

Im just correcting on the performance he uses to describe the 5700xt as equal to the 2070s when its not.

2 hours ago, Giga Bus Driver said:

Ah well I'm more of a player who tries to get at least 144hz fps so I decrease graphics settings. Will prob never use RTX and DLSS anyways. Just wondering if RTX 2070S has a performance difference worth $100. Sure the EVGA XC Ultra isn't a top quality card like the Strix but it should still be quiet and cool enough.

EVGA makes the best high end cards on the market.  Queue Kingpin!!!

I have a 2070... if i were buying today it would be the 5700 xt but an AIB card not a blower cooled one. the 5700xt and 2070 super trade blows but for some reason the 2070 super is $100 more /shrug I  do not get it. Team green knows some people will only ever buy a Nvidia graphics card and are convinced they need DLSS and Ray tracing, because, reasons. note yes the 2070 super is a faster card but not $100 faster... more like $30 faster

As title says, I'm looking to buy one of these cards as I finally got the prices for 5700XT AIB cards and can preorder them at my local electronics store. I doubt Powercolour will be available and sold in my country so I have to go with other options.

I was thinking of choosing between the ASUS Strix 5700XT OC model or for $100 more EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra. I won't use RTX or DLSS so judging purely on POWAA.

Is the EVGA RTX 2070 Super worth the extra $100 or is performance difference too little? So far from the reviews I've seen, stock 5700XT is like 10 fps behind a reference 2070S on most games except Metro Exodus?

the 5700xt is about 5 % behind the 2070 super. they cannot oc for shit tho. so you see mostly gains of 3 fps when ocing them. compared to 10fps or more on the nvidia cards. 

is the 5700xt close to the 2070 super? yes yes it is. however if you do want the power. i would go with the 2070 super due to it probably holding out longer in tripple a titles.  

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Not from benchmarks I've seen. There was a 3-5 fps difference in a lot of games (that's margin of error), in some the 2070 was 10fps faster and in some the 5700XT was 10fps faster, not really a noticeable difference and on average they're equal. 

You're paying a bit of the STRIX tax (rgb and the brand and such), but the STRIX cards usually have some of the best coolers on them and are very high quality, they usually trade blows with the EVGA FTW models on the Nvidia side, and the closest competitor on AMD would probably be Sapphire. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Not from benchmarks I've seen. There was a 3-5 fps difference in a lot of games (that's margin of error), in some the 2070 was 10fps faster and in some the 5700XT was 10fps faster, not really a noticeable difference and on average they're equal

And from benchmarks ive seen the 2070s is faster. 

The 2070 is more similar to the 5700xt. The 2070s is not similar. 

The 2070S is faster but the extra price cost not worth imo compared vs 5700 XT