R5 3600 or R7 2700?

Hello. On Amazon US, R7 2700 is cheaper about $11 than R5 3600. Should I go with R7 2700 or R5 3600? R7 2700 is nice because 8/16, but R5 3600 is fast in 6/12. I want to do video editing like Shotcut, streaming sometimes, photoshopping, and gaming as well. I probably will upgrade to 1440P from 1080P. I am having a difficult time to pick either of these two. Please help.

It depends,

Does your productivity outweights your gaming? then yes go R7 2700.

Will you game most and do just mainstream/average desktop'ing? then R5 3600 it is.

The 2700 has more multi-tasking potential and more multi-threaded capacity but will lag behind on single core performance which is key for mainstream applications and gaming.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd go with the faster 3600 - Photoshop and some video editing software prefer speed over number of threads, and gaming performance of the 3600 is not much behind the 3700X. It will do 1440p completely fine.

If you actually have a use case for more cores, the 2700X is a great option too.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

What graphics card and monitor would you be pairing this with? Because if you have less than a 2070 or a 60hz monitor you will see no difference in games and you might as well get a 2700.

-edit-

now that @Mr.Humble mentions it, some editing software does prefer a few faster cores over more, slower cores - if you predominantly use photoshop the 3600 is probably a better choice

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

What graphics card and monitor would you be pairing this with? Because if you have less than a 2070 or a 60hz monitor you will see no difference in games and you might as well get a 2700. 

I am planning to upgrade GTX 970 to RX 590 8GB, and monitor upgrade to 1440P either 60HZ or 120Hz in the future.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

-edit-

now that @Mr.Humble mentions it, some editing software does prefer a few faster cores over more, slower cores - if you predominantly use photoshop the 3600 is probably a better choice

From experience shortcut is able to use most of a 3700x (80-90–100) percent

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

I am planning to upgrade GTX 970 to RX 590 8GB, and monitor upgrade to 1440P either 60HZ or 120Hz in the future.

You can't really push 120fps at 1440p on most modern games with either of those cards so I'd go for 60hz. So as I said, for games which one you pick makes no difference - so you should get whatever performs best in the rest of the software you use. The 3600 is definitely faster in photoshop, I can't find any benchmark results for shotcut though. For streaming, assuming you use OBS the 2700 should be faster.

image.png.291976288dcaaf3ee17e91b3c927633a.png

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

depends on what you use it for. I just did this debate myself and ended up with a Ryzen 7 2700. My reasoning is with the new generation of consoles around the corner with more cores (its still amd and supposedly both are getting 8 core/16 thread processors so I expect cut down Ryzen 7 modules with vega graphics onboard.) With that in mind  I chose a 2700x over a 3600x to make sure that build (my son's gaming pc) would be reliant for at least the next 5-7 years as engines are modified in newer titles to use the extra cores.  

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can't really push 120fps at 1440p on most modern games with either of those cards so I'd go for 60hz. So as I said, for games which one you pick makes no difference - so you should get whatever performs best in the rest of the software you use. The 3600 is definitely faster in photoshop, I can't find any benchmark results for shotcut though. For streaming, assuming you use OBS the 2700 should be faster.

image.png.291976288dcaaf3ee17e91b3c927633a.png

I did use OBS in the past so I am familiar with the software. What about  VirtualBox VM performance on R5 3600?

1 minute ago, G00fySmiley said:

depends on what you use it for. I just did this debate myself and ended up with a Ryzen 7 2700. My reasoning is with the new generation of consoles around the corner with more cores (its still amd and supposedly both are getting 8 core/16 thread processors so I expect cut down Ryzen 7 modules with vega graphics onboard.) With that in mind  I chose a 2700x over a 3600x to make sure that build (my son's gaming pc) would be reliant for at least the next 5-7 years as engines are modified in newer titles to use the extra cores.  

Current consoles have 8 cores, in fact even the ps3 had 8 cores. This reasoning doesn't work, unfortunately. Trying to "future proof" anything is generally a bad idea. Especially since AM4 has a very good upgrade path for if and when it becomes necessary.

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

I did use OBS in the past so I am familiar with the software. What about  VirtualBox VM performance on R5 3600?

Depends on what you need VirtualBox for, if it's just one or even two VMs doing non intensive tasks then it really doesn't make much of a difference which one you pick. If you consistently use multiple VMs for intensive tasks the 2700 will have the edge, but I wouldn't be using VirtualBox at that point.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

28 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Current consoles have 8 cores, in fact even the ps3 had 8 cores. This reasoning doesn't work, unfortunately. Trying to "future proof" anything is generally a bad idea. Especially since AM4 has a very good upgrade path for if and when it becomes necessary.

Depends on what you need VirtualBox for, if it's just one or even two VMs doing non intensive tasks then it really doesn't make much of a difference which one you pick. If you consistently use multiple VMs for intensive tasks the 2700 will have the edge, but I wouldn't be using VirtualBox at that point.

The current consoles (PS4/XBOX1 have 8 amd cores but its shared scheduler and resources. PS5/ xbox scarlet s are (supposedly) 16 cores with shared resources again. 

the PS3 is really not in the same place as PCs as playstation did their own things there with a weird cell architecture (1 big 8 small SPEs). Of note there the 8th "core" was always disabled, and one of the "cores" was not available for gaming use it was fo rthe system. (really not wanting to use the term "core" for an SPE but for simplicity will) 

Also of note here over the life of the PS3 some games did get up to using the 6 threads available to it (though strong emphisis on single core performance with 5 smaller low useage threads), and over the course of the ps4/xbox1 they have commonly gone up to 8/10  

31 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

The current consoles (PS4/XBOX1 have 8 amd cores but its shared scheduler and resources. PS5/ xbox scarlet s are (supposedly) 16 cores with shared resources again. 

the PS3 is really not in the same place as PCs as playstation did their own things there with a weird cell architecture (1 big 8 small SPEs). Of note there the 8th "core" was always disabled, and one of the "cores" was not available for gaming use it was fo rthe system. (really not wanting to use the term "core" for an SPE but for simplicity will) 

Also of note here over the life of the PS3 some games did get up to using the 6 threads available to it (though strong emphisis on single core performance with 5 smaller low useage threads), and over the course of the ps4/xbox1 they have commonly gone up to 8/10  

The point is that just looking at the core count of consoles doesn't give you any insight on what future performance will look like. The ps4 and xbone have FX-like chips, yet FX cpus were and remained mediocre in games throughout their market life. It's just pointless to look at what consoles have and try to deduce what will be good in a few years - it never worked and there's no reason to think it ever will.

When you're porting a game to pc from something like a ps4 you have to use radically different libraries and most optimizations you've made for the platform are likely to be lost in the process, so developers pretty much need to go through that all over again - often with different results as they try to target the average pc, which still doesn't have 8 cores and generally has an Intel CPU. It's not enough for the hardware to be similar for ports to be just a matter of dragging and dropping the code and expecting it to work. It helps a little, sure, but that's about it.

Besides, if developers (or rather, their publishers) want a game to run well on a given platform, it will run well on that platform regardless of how different the architecture is; just look at games like Doom 2016 being ported to the Switch, which has virtually nothing in common hardware wise with either the average PC or other mainstream consoles, and running ok for a game that looks that good on 5 years old tablet hardware. It has everything to do with developer/publisher commitment and almost nothing to do with hardware similarities.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

The point is that just looking at the core count of consoles doesn't give you any insight on what future performance will look like. The ps4 and xbone have FX-like chips, yet FX cpus were and remained mediocre in games throughout their market life. It's just pointless to look at what consoles have and try to deduce what will be good in a few years - it never worked and there's no reason to think it ever will.

When you're porting a game to pc from something like a ps4 you have to use radically different libraries and most optimizations you've made for the platform are likely to be lost in the process, so developers pretty much need to go through that all over again - often with different results as they try to target the average pc, which still doesn't have 8 cores and generally has an Intel CPU. It's not enough for the hardware to be similar for ports to be just a matter of dragging and dropping the code and expecting it to work. It helps a little, sure, but that's about it.

Besides, if developers (or rather, their publishers) want a game to run well on a given platform, it will run well on that platform regardless of how different the architecture is; just look at games like Doom 2016 being ported to the Switch, which has virtually nothing in common hardware wise with either the average PC or other mainstream consoles, and running ok for a game that looks that good on 5 years old tablet hardware. It has everything to do with developer/publisher commitment and almost nothing to do with hardware similarities.

I more console comparison use  as my personal reasoning than a rule as a whole, but I tend to do pretty well building systems that last 5-7 years base done it /shrug.  It is very true that you cannot knwo 100% what is around the corner. for all we know AMD might pull a 16 core 32 thread out of thier back pocket with a gpu that puts the RTX titan to shame and manage to squeeze it into an APU and call it the PS5 pro in 2 years making everything now obsolete if developers reset that to the bar.

I 100% agree on optimization. the switch is impressive for what it is (basically a 2015 mid range tablet hardware wise with some joysticks and buttons) and some companies will make things tha tuse hevay pc hardware like battlefield 5, absolutely stunning eye candy. but most things I do feel like are lazy port of "it kind of works on pc so lets just do that" . as an example Fallout 4 and skyrim look not the best even at launch it was iffy. but the community that loves these games have patched and fixed things to the point where they look better than 90+% or new releases with the retexture and game patches. Hell you cna get ray tracing emulation in skyrim because fans took the time to build it where AAA devs stamp things "good enough" and release (or don't release on PC... looking at you red dead redemption 2) 

4 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Hello. On Amazon US, R7 2700 is cheaper about $11 than R5 3600. Should I go with R7 2700 or R5 3600? R7 2700 is nice because 8/16, but R5 3600 is fast in 6/12. I want to do video editing like Shotcut, streaming sometimes, photoshopping, and gaming as well. I probably will upgrade to 1440P from 1080P. I am having a difficult time to pick either of these two. Please help.

3600 all the way.  For gaming, there is no comparison, the 3600 is much better. If you are worried about photoshop, don't. Photoshop is actually faster on 3600 than on 2700x. The IPC improvements more than make up for the 2 additional cores

image.png.580a7ab276c502890000515dfbab2c93.png

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+