i5 4440 going to upgrade to Ryzen X xxxx

So I've had this 2013 machine which screams for an upgrade. My i5 4440 is a 4 core 3.1GHz. If say, I get a Ryzen architecture that is ThEoReTiCaLly also a "4 core 3.1 GHz" as well. All other components "the same", no plans of overclocking.

Will there be a huge improvement at gaming?

i would say because of the newer architecture it would be an improvement.

Would you think the improvement is highly significant to spend $$$ on? Is there an LTT video would shed some light on GHz=GHz with different architectures ;)

If you use the iGPU then yes but in that case, just get a dedicated graphics card which will be much better. 

If you already have a dedicated graphics card, depends on what card you have but you will likely not see a big jump in that case especially if you have 3200G in mind. 

Yes, I have a dedicated GPU that is sufficient enough for my use.

Just now, Tuklaw said:

Yes, I have a dedicated GPU that is sufficient enough for my use.

Which one? 

It's just an RX480 but happy with it. Don't have $$ enough yet for the newer generations. 

1 minute ago, Tuklaw said:

It's just an RX480 but happy with it. Don't have $$ enough yet for the newer generations. 

Then don't bother with Ryzen since you would have to get new RAM, motherboard and CPU and you would not see that big of an performance improvement, only in some CPU bound scenarios. 

If you want upgrade for cheap, grab used Xeon E3 1231 V3, it's basically a i7 4770 without iGPU. 

6 minutes ago, Tuklaw said:

Awesome info. Thanks WereCat & herb!!!

You can quote or use @WereCat and @herb so they see your responses

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad