Best affordable monitor for photography and gaming

ThoughtFission

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a monitor for both gaming and photo editing that I don't need a second mortgage to buy? The system that it will be attaching to includes a RTX 2080, 32GB of 3200 and either a Ryzen 9 or I9 (probably the Ryzen).

I'm not sure what the refresh rate threshold is where graphics start to look silky. 100hz, 120hz, 144hz???

I'm not a pro gamer but I do suffer from motion sickness when the graphics stutter. Color, HDR and resolution are important too because I am a photographer.

And finally, bigger is better but I understand I can't have it all on a budget.

Thanks!

EDIT: preferably a flat screen because I do a lot landscape and architectural work. Curved screens introduce distortion.

Cheap color accurate monitors usually are comaparably slow while cheap fast minitors are usually not very color accurate.

What im thinking right now is a dual minitor setup with one for gaming and one for editing, how does that sound?

Just now, Eumel2 said:

Cheap color accurate monitors usually are comaparably slow while cheap fast minitors are usually not very color accurate.

What im thinking right now is a dual minitor setup with one for gaming and one for editing, how does that sound?

Sounds expensive?

My quick search would come out to 

Photography:

Lenovo ThinkVision P27u-10, 27" (61B0GAT1EU/61B0GAT1UK) 

Gaming:

HP 27xq, 27" (3WL54AA)

for about 800 € total

I choose 27" for both since i personally dislike mismatched monitor sizes.

7 minutes ago, Eumel2 said:

My quick search would come out to 

Photography:

Lenovo ThinkVision P27u-10, 27" (61B0GAT1EU/61B0GAT1UK) 

Gaming:

HP 27xq, 27" (3WL54AA)

for about 800 € total

I choose 27" for both since i personally dislike mismatched monitor sizes.

Would you recommend that combo over something like this: Acer XB273KP? Not far off in price.

Not counting the current Amazon Offer it costs ~1200€ here so not too close on the price 

2 Monitors are amazig so even if you should get that one i would get a second cheap one on the side ;)

Monitors are kinda hard to give good advice on since its 95% personal preference (How many, better colors, more speed, resolution, price, ...)

60Hz is far from choppy so that might be enough for you. 

As a side note,you will have a hard time playing demanding titels on 4k 144Hz

Also calibrating your monitor is good but if the monitor cant display the olors thers not much gained

28 minutes ago, Eumel2 said:

Not counting the current Amazon Offer it costs ~1200€ here so not too close on the price 

2 Monitors are amazig so even if you should get that one i would get a second cheap one on the side ;)

Monitors are kinda hard to give good advice on since its 95% personal preference (How many, better colors, more speed, resolution, price, ...)

60Hz is far from choppy so that might be enough for you. 

As a side note,you will have a hard time playing demanding titels on 4k 144Hz

Also calibrating your monitor is good but if the monitor cant display the olors thers not much gained

I had no idea about the 4k 144hz thing. I thought a RTX 2080 would handle that just fine. Thanks for letting me know!