why do desktop OS's have "assistants".. does anybody actually use them?

Ashleyyyy

so i had a thought. Windows has Cortana, macOS has Siri and ChromeOS has the Google Assistant. 

why? they are slow no matter what you want to do, and compromise your privacy. 

now yes, if you are disabled in some way, say you are missing an arm or something like that then i understand why an assistant could be useful when using your computer, but for the everyday user, is it necessary or does it just add bloat? 

i'd love to hear your opinions on this and if you have them enabled or not. 

i own various devices with all of those OS's and i have the assistants disabled on all of them. 

She/Her

I don't, but some people apparently do - many either don't understand the implications or don't care enough that they'll give up that small convenience.

But then, there are many things I consider useless or just a pita that many people consider essential.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I rarely use Google assistant. Only to search a specific question on Google or to recognize a song. But that's about it. Cortana isn't even available for me. But I find a more useless on feature on windows 10 than it was on windows phone.

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

I don't use them and it isn't even due to "privacy" matters, mostly just not refined or fast enough to be of any use to me.

I dislike it to the point many years ago I killed Cortana for good on my systems because I didn't deem it worthy the 30~40 megabyte RAM usage it had.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

If you're concerned about ram usage you shouldn't be using windows to begin with.

Gee you must really hate Windows to get off your way to do such comment, no I am not interested in a different operating system nor I am in need for more RAM, if I were I'd just buy more.

It was merely a comment on how useless I consider Cortana.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I personally do like to use digital assistants... from time to time, they do make life easier. For example: I love to be able to hit a keyboard shortcut and just ask Siri to search for a picture when writing a document followed by just dragging and dropping it from the results without opening a browser.

I also use it to create quick reminders or to change music. Since I'm generally switching between my whiteboards and my laptop when doing research, sometimes it's just more convenient to ask something rather then actually opening apps to do it. This also counts for doing quick searches online.

They are there to spy on you silly. I disable my Google assistant on my phone and cortana in the very rare instance I use windows.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I use Siri on my phone all the time. The only thing I use it for is a kitchen timer though. On my desktop/laptop OS? I have literally no reason to ever use a digital assistant.

they are useful, and they do have a purpose, but people don't really utilize them much, since you can do anything else with a few keyboard button presses and a few mouse clicks, so yeah, if its something like amazon alexa, google home mini, yeah, i can understand the use of that,

i rarely use cortana but they're still useful for mobile units (like laptops), 

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

Like most people mentioned above, I think it really depends on the situation and user as well. For most "power users," voice controlled assistants may lack the speed or agility to be used as a competitive alternative to Mouse / keyboard / touchscreen controls for now. The only consistent use I've managed to keep using cortana for is to set an alarm, mostly when I'm cooking ?.

People who have benefited the most though are those who have difficulty using traditional keyboard/mice to interact with the system. When my dad's arthritis acts up, he's more than happy to use the voice assistant, even if he still feels a bit self-conscious about it.

The one event that turned my opinion around on these digital assistants though, was a few years ago when I demonstrated the voice assistant's ability to a disabled customer. The customer's whole face just lit up, this technology opened his world up more than I could have imagined. So, even though, it's something that doesn't quite fit my needs, and I have reservations about, I would always try to mention and demonstrate it to my customers. Partly to let them be aware of the privacy issues, but also, I never know who may benefit from this.

I do work near a major hospital though, so the odds of situations like this happening may be a bit higher than average.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

On a smart device I like to use an assistant, I have a couple google home devices and use it regularly but for a very small number of thing's.  Like setting my livingroom lights because there are no real light switches being an older house, or simply for an alarm or as a noise machine for sleeping.  That's really about it, I haven't gone full power user on google home because the information is spoty at best and every time I try out a command that should be intuitive she says "I'm sorry I don't understand" or "I'm sorry I can't do that yet" so I haven't looked into it further.  They have a long ways to go as an interface because it's basically a short list of predetermined commands which you have to know what they are.

For desktops, completely and utterly useless, but then again I prefer low level interaction with my machine to a certain degree.  I'd love to combine the two and start using ifttt but I really lack the motivation.

I have zero concerns about privacy, I have nothing to hide and if someone is going to hack me theres really nothing I can do about it short of general security in the first place.  On that note I do hate the fact that I googled coursera to recommend it to a friend then for a couple weeks got nothing but online learning schools on youtube, that really annoys me.  I hate ad's in general because I'm not easily swayed by them to begin with, I know what I like and my money goes towards that.  The only ad's that I accept and even enjoy are sponsored spot's from the creators I frequent.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

• 4 weeks later...

When I'm at my desktop I sometimes use it (Cortana) to play/pause music or check weather or open an app. I don't really use it much other than that.