new 144 hz monitor causing my games to run less than 20 fps

Trixxery

I had a 60hz monitor before, I just got a new monitor today for 144 hz (it caps out at 120 hz in display option) im guessing my cpu is too outdated for this kind of refresh rate. 
Now when i switch over to a 144 hz monitor, everything drops to 20 fps or worse. I have tried changing it back to 60 hz in the display option, but it didn't change anything. Any help or suggestions? Do i switch back to my old monitor, and is my only option is to get a new CPU?

CPU : i7 440k Intel
AMD Radeon R9 200 / Intel HD Graphics 4600

6 minutes ago, Trixxery said:

I had a 60hz monitor before, I just got a new monitor today for 144 hz (it caps out at 120 hz in display option) im guessing my cpu is too outdated for this kind of refresh rate. 
Now when i switch over to a 144 hz monitor, everything drops to 20 fps or worse. I have tried changing it back to 60 hz in the display option, but it didn't change anything. Any help or suggestions? Do i switch back to my old monitor, and is my only option is to get a new CPU?

CPU : i7 440k Intel
AMD Radeon R9 200 / Intel HD Graphics 4600

Is it specifically in games?

idk tbh

2 minutes ago, Greenish said:

Is it specifically in games?

yes, I've tried every game in my steam library. Found out CS:GO dropped me to even 10 fps in 2560x1440 reso when before it gave me 100+ fps with 60hz. It's really smooth outside of the games though

what monitor is it?

7 minutes ago, Trixxery said:

got a new monitor today for 144 hz (it caps out at 120 hz in display option) im guessing my cpu is too outdated for this kind of refresh rate. 

when I first got my 144Hz monitor, I had to make a "custom" resolution at 144Hz because the menu option wasn't there. Eventually a driver update came and fixed it.

Have you updated drivers?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Trixxery said:

yes, I've tried every game in my steam library. Found out CS:GO dropped me to even 10 fps in 2560x1440 reso when before it gave me 100+ fps with 60hz

Is the 144hz monitor different resolution then the 60hz monitor?

idk tbh

Just now, fasauceome said:

what monitor is it?

when I first got my 144Hz monitor, I had to make a "custom" resolution at 144Hz because the menu option wasn't there. Eventually a driver update came and fixed it.

Have you updated drivers?

everything has been updated

Just now, Greenish said:

Is the 144hz monitor different resolution then the 60hz monitor?

nope, they both use the same recommended resolution

1 minute ago, Trixxery said:

everything has been updated

In which case go to Nvidia control panel and create a custom 144Hz setting 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In which case go to Nvidia control panel and create a custom 144Hz setting 

i don't have nvidia control panel in windows 10. It's possible to get nvidia control panel while using AMD?

Is this an XB271HU? Have you tried the monitors menu, setting it to 144hz, because if I remember correctly, it comes at 120hz out of the box. Could I recommend setting the monitor to 1080p144, as it may be that your GPU can't handle 1440p and is throttling. All my nvidea gpus have locked to 24fps when they throttle, and only a reboot will unlock them.

1 minute ago, Trixxery said:

i don't have nvidia control panel in windows 10. It's possible to get nvidia control panel while using AMD?

Whoops my mistake, use Radeon settings and go to the custom resolutions settings

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, vizzaral said:

Is this an XB271HU? Have you tried the monitors menu, setting it to 144hz, because if I remember correctly, it comes at 120hz out of the box. Could I recommend setting the monitor to 1080p144, as it may be that your GPU can't handle 1440p and is throttling. All my nvidea gpus have locked to 24fps when they throttle, and only a reboot will unlock them.

Nope it's a LG 32GK650G-B, I should had mentioned this before

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

Did you plug the hdmi cable into the GPU or the motherboard?

could this be the source of the problem? I only connected the display adapter to the displayport and no hdmi connected

24 minutes ago, Trixxery said:

could this be the source of the problem? I only connected the display adapter to the displayport and no hdmi connected

If you plugged the displayport cable into the motherboard, it would load the Igpu, absolutely causing your issues.  Just make sure the cable is plugged into the GPU 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

thank you for this, this probably is the source since my computer doesn't have a port for the GPU, so as of right now im looking for another cable to replace that the monitor came with

10 hours ago, Trixxery said:

thank you for this, this probably is the source since my computer doesn't have a port for the GPU, so as of right now im looking for another cable to replace that the monitor came with

By "my computer doesn't have a port for the GPU" what on earth are you talking about?

7 hours ago, Damascus said:

By "my computer doesn't have a port for the GPU" what on earth are you talking about?

my bad, had no sleep yesterday, probably mean't that the cable it came with the monitor didn't fit with the ports for my gpu, instead i plugged it into the motherboard

2 hours ago, Trixxery said:

my bad, had no sleep yesterday, probably mean't that the cable it came with the monitor didn't fit with the ports for my gpu, instead i plugged it into the motherboard

A 2070 will almost certainly have a displayport and hdmi port