Corsair ML120 Pro PWM VS Noctua NF-S12A PWM

tbone_9022

I was wondering if anyone was able to give any recommendations or real life experience based solely on the performance (CPM), as well as how quiet their operation is. Looking at changing out current stock case fans and these are the 2 options I have come down to. Thank you.

I have six ML120's on my radiators, when they go above 1200RPM they are can heard clearly across the room, so they are not very quiet IMO. However, the sound is just the woosh sound of the air (due to their magnetic bearings) and not really annoying. Also since they are all packed against my radiators you could experience much less sound when used in free air. And the static pressure is so good on these that i don't need to run them above 500RPM anyway.

So yeah i'm using them more for their static pressure performance but I would definitely recommend them as a general purpose fan. If you're solely looking for high air throughput the Noctua NF-S12A may be better optimised for this but i do not own those so i cant say anything about those.

Where are you using the fans and what are your priorities?

ML120 Pros have good static pressure, perform very well, and are pretty quiet. 

NF-S12A's have good airflow, perform alright, and are extremely quiet. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you both for your replies. My current case is an NZXT S340 Elite having availability for 2 x 120/140mm front intakes, 120/140mm top mounted exhaust, and a 120mm rear exhaust. I am purchasing a Corsair H100i AIO and placing the radiator at the front of the case leaving me the 2 exhaust fan placements at the rear of the case. I am either going to (after deciding on one of these fans) place 2 of them at either of the exhaust positions OR place 2 at either exhaust positions as well as replace the stock Cosair fans that come with the AIO as I have heard that these are not too quiet. Essentially my priorities are as above and to create positive air pressure even if it is in the slightest, whilst maintaining a relatively quiet build.

7 hours ago, tbone_9022 said:

Thank you both for your replies. My current case is an NZXT S340 Elite having availability for 2 x 120/140mm front intakes, 120/140mm top mounted exhaust, and a 120mm rear exhaust. I am purchasing a Corsair H100i AIO and placing the radiator at the front of the case leaving me the 2 exhaust fan placements at the rear of the case. I am either going to (after deciding on one of these fans) place 2 of them at either of the exhaust positions OR place 2 at either exhaust positions as well as replace the stock Cosair fans that come with the AIO as I have heard that these are not too quiet. Essentially my priorities are as above and to create positive air pressure even if it is in the slightest, whilst maintaining a relatively quiet build.

Which variant of H100i? Are you using the original H100i?

Are the stock case fans too noisy? If not, you could just use those.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which variant of H100i? Are you using the original H100i?

Are the stock case fans too noisy? If not, you could just use those.

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am looking at purchasing the H100i V2 Platinum 240mm AIO. From reviews I have read it has been told that they can be quiet noisy. So If I was looking at purchasing new case fans and radiator fans for the H100i once purchased. Would it be static pressure fans for the radiator and air flow fans for the remaining case fans? Thanks again

8 minutes ago, tbone_9022 said:

I am looking at purchasing the H100i V2 Platinum 240mm AIO. From reviews I have read it has been told that they can be quiet noisy. So If I was looking at purchasing new case fans and radiator fans for the H100i once purchased. Would it be static pressure fans for the radiator and air flow fans for the remaining case fans? Thanks again

The H100i V2 and H100i RGB Platinum are different coolers. 

The H100i V2 is older and comes with SP120L's which are noisy. The H100i RGB Platinum comes with ML120 RGB's which are quieter. Which one is it?

for static pressure operations, such as pushing / pulling air through a radiator, Noctua NF-F12 or NF-A12x25 are better than the S12A. the A12 can get a bit loud above some 1300-1500 rpm

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

56 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H100i V2 and H100i RGB Platinum are different coolers. 

The H100i V2 is older and comes with SP120L's which are noisy. The H100i RGB Platinum comes with ML120 RGB's which are quieter. Which one is it?

Sorry I didn't mean to write V2. It is the H100i RGB Platinum. My apologies.

7 hours ago, tbone_9022 said:

Sorry I didn't mean to write V2. It is the H100i RGB Platinum. My apologies.

The included ML120 Pro RGB's are pretty quiet so I'd recommend trying them out with the stock case fans first. You can always decide to replace them later down the road if you think they're too noisy. 

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The included ML120 Pro RGB's are pretty quiet so I'd recommend trying them out with the stock case fans first. You can always decide to replace them later down the road if you think they're too noisy. 

Thank you for your reccomendation. I will do that first and see how it goes. Much appreciated.