Ryzen 5 3600 boost problems.

Pleo

Guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my R5 3600. (Either that, or I do not fully understand Ryzen yet).

When gaming, My cores never boost to the advertised GHz (4.2). They fluctuate from 4075Mhz to 4050Mhz to 3975Mhz.

When playing games like BF5, I'm experiencing some stuttering. It looks to me that the cores are not fully being used to what they're capable of, since they're fluctuating.

Using the Ryzen Balanced power plan, PBO is on (In BIOS), A-XMP enabled (3200mhz 16gb ddr4 ram, cinebench r20 I'm scoring 3420 on multi (71c full load) and even then the cores barely hit 4Ghz.

Is there something i am missing? Using a MSI b450 tomahawk.

Thanks

I think the advertised 4,2 ghz is single core,so it's normal it boosts to 4 ghz all cores

What about the fluctuating in cores? You think it's because i've enabled Precision Boost Overdrive? (The rest is on stock, voltages etc.)

Temps?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

Temps?

When gaming, 60-65. Stress testing max 73c so far. (Cinebench R20). 

Using a hyper 212 evo 

I never had any luck with my testing of the Ryzen balanced power plan, results were all over the place but that was with a first gen chip (R7 1700). I found better results keeping my power plan to High Performance all the time. If that doesn't work, try going into the bios and disable "AMD Cool & Quiet", this feature downclocks your frequency when it thinks it is not required. If neither options work, try a manual overclock to keep the processer running at a certain speed. Maybe start with an overclock of 4.0 while leaving the voltage on auto.

As far as the cpu not reaching 4.2, only 1 core will likely boost to something like 4175mhz.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

I used to have a Ryzen 7 1700 and while playing PUBG I would experience a lot of stutters. After some diagnostics I discovered the cpu was downclocking itself while under load when these stutters were occurring. After disabling "AMD Cool & Quiet" and entering a manual overclock of 3.8 the stuttering didn't happen again.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

16 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

I used to have a Ryzen 7 1700 and while playing PUBG I would experience a lot of stutters. After some diagnostics I discovered the cpu was downclocking itself while under load when these stutters were occurring. After disabling "AMD Cool & Quiet" and entering a manual overclock of 3.8 the stuttering didn't happen again.

I've read that with cool and quiet disabled you can brick your cpu. Is this true? Also, this solved the problem for me as far as idle temps go. I would be at 1.4 VOLT on idle. With Cool 'n quiet enabled, my idle volts and temps went down. 

Wow that's a lot of voltage considering it's set to auto. I've never heard of the possibility of a bricked chip by disabling it, I would think if that was a possibility AMD would've removed the option to disable it. I did however hear that the new chips do run a lot hotter than first gen and Zen+ chips. Maybe keep that thing enabled to be on the safe side.

Strange, I have the X3600 running on a Hyper 212 Evo and get 4.2 regularly at under 62c gaming at 1.43v. I have Ryzen Master with PBO running, Windows Performance and energy at Best Performance. Did you install AMDs chipset drivers? Dont use the MOBO manufaturers chipset driver.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Look at Chipset drivers, other then that it depends on Temperature headroom, Windows settings set to balanced does not help, set it on performance. Cool and quiet as an effect on idle temps and clockspeed. Don't worry about those high voltage at idle, it goes up to 1.5v on load spikes, the 7nm process is so quick that even the smallest amount of load increase voltage really fast then down really fast, so you see an average on how quick the monitoring software can read it.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

On 8/16/2019 at 9:47 PM, Mathieu9836 said:

Look at Chipset drivers, other then that it depends on Temperature headroom, Windows settings set to balanced does not help, set it on performance. Cool and quiet as an effect on idle temps and clockspeed. Don't worry about those high voltage at idle, it goes up to 1.5v on load spikes, the 7nm process is so quick that even the smallest amount of load increase voltage really fast then down really fast, so you see an average on how quick the monitoring software can read it.

Ryzen Performance or Windows performance? 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, asand1 said:

Strange, I have the X3600 running on a Hyper 212 Evo and get 4.2 regularly at under 62c gaming at 1.43v. I have Ryzen Master with PBO running, Windows Performance and energy at Best Performance. Did you install AMDs chipset drivers? Dont use the MOBO manufaturers chipset driver.

Are energy settings (Best Performance) Seperate from Windows performance (Power plan)? If so, could you tell me where i can change the energy to best performance?

Just now, Pleo said:

Are energy settings (Best Performance) Seperate from Windows performance (Power plan)? If so, could you tell me where i can change the energy to best performance?

>Settings>System>Power and Sleep; Power Mode

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

7 minutes ago, asand1 said:

>Settings>System>Power and Sleep; Power Mode

Thanks. I've only been using Ryzen Balanced ever since. Will be trying Windows high performance power plan and change the power mode. Hope this will push my cpu a bit more.