To buy or not to buy: Valve Index VR

bcuz

I'm planning on buying the Index VR. Are there any reasons that I am not thinking of to buy or to not buy it? I was about to buy it but decided to wait in case there were some important factors that I'm not thinking of.

We don't know what you're thinking so how do we know if you're not thinking what we're thinking?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

We don't know what you're thinking so how do we know if you're not thinking what we're thinking?

I know that the black levels are not as great as other options and it's pricey, but those are the only major downsides I have heard so far.

If there are any other important issues that you know of let me know!

What Are your PC specs?

What games are you looking to play most?

Do you plan on taking it to other people's houses?

How much do you want to spend? (if you looking at the index then this isn't much of an issue)

Each VR HMD currently available has very distinct pros and cons to it based on how you answer those.

The index is going to be your best bet if you have a high end PC and are looking to play games that benefit from very accurate tracking in a dedicated VR play space.

If you are mostly playing flight/racing sims or plan to bring it to a friends house then there are other kits that might suit your needs better.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, trufret said:

What Are your PC specs?

What games are you looking to play most?

Do you plan on taking it to other people's houses?

How much do you want to spend? (if you looking at the index then this isn't much of an issue)

I'm currently using the Razer Blade 15 Advanced (i7-9750H, 2070 max-q, 16gb ddr4), but am also building a pc which will have a 2080 ti.

I' will be playing a mix of games, for now, I'll start with a few games (maybe beat saber, superhot, etc).

might bring the headset with me sometimes, but it would be very infrequently.

I will consider pretty much any price as long as the specs match up.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:12 AM, bcuz said:

I'm currently using the Razer Blade 15 Advanced (i7-9750H, 2070 max-q, 16gb ddr4), but am also building a pc which will have a 2080 ti.

I' will be playing a mix of games, for now, I'll start with a few games (maybe beat saber, superhot, etc).

might bring the headset with me sometimes, but it would be very infrequently.

I will consider pretty much any price as long as the specs match up.

Your best bet is going to be the Index in that case.

Make sure your laptop has a displayport or Mini DP out with an adapter to full size.

When I was bringing my vive places, I got a couple 7' photography light tripods for about $50 that i could screw my lighthouse base stations too.

10 hours ago, trufret said:

Your best bet is going to be the Index in that case.

Make sure your laptop has a displayport or Mini DP out with an adapter to full size.

When I was bringing my vive places, I got a couple 7' photography light tripods for about $50 that i could screw my lighthouse base stations too.

I've got a thunderbolt 3 port and an adapter from tb3 to display port 1.4.

Nice travel hack! I'll have to try that out.