Help choosing a motherboard

Hi all, the choices when it comes to buying a motherboard are overwhelming (to me). Can you help with the following?

• what are the must have features
  • what are the features that I'll be glad I chose when I build the PC or during daily use
  • what are nice but not necessary features
  • and what are unnecessary because they just make the motherboard too expensive.

For the answers, assume modest rather than hardcore OC requirements.

I dont know if Intel/AMD matters for the answers but I'm planning a Zen 2 build.

Thanks a lot.

Love not hate

3 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

-snip-

I think to make it easier for people to answer this question, you should find the CPU that you want in your system and ask for what motherboard is good. Remember to state the max size and what the general usage of the PC is.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Modest in what? Stock settings 24/7 or overclocking?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

33 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

3700x cpu.

Gaming but no streaming

you should pick the right size first, atx / m-atx/ itx etc

pick the right chipset eg B450 is just fine for 3700x (avoid A320 at all cost)

make sure the ports meets your requirement.

this shall narrow down much selections

then eliminate them one by one for whatever reason..

50 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

3700x cpu.

Gaming but no streaming

Grab a B450 tomahawk or gaming pro carbon if you want some extra ‘rgb’ 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Must-have or even important features are really up to you and your personal set of preferences.

For example, I will not use a motherboard that doesn't have debugging features like LEDs or post codes. That eliminates a whole lot of motherboards from my consideration entirely. Some people need a certain number of USB or front USB-C. Others value having a good audio codec. Etc, etc.

The only universal must-have (in my opinion anyway) are VRMs capable of running your chosen CPU. And even then, the quality of VRM design you need is conditional on if you're running stock settings, or using Precision Boost Overdrive or manually overclocking. The popularly recommended motherboards here tend to be the ones with good VRM designs for their price class (looking at you, MSI B450 Tomahawk). They might work for you, or you might want a feature that's not on those boards.

The best way to decide which motherboard is best for you is to think about what features you value, and then do some research about all the motherboards in your price range. Except for VRM information, the manufacturer's website will have all the relevant information about their motherboards. 

Here's a useful spreadsheet on Zen 2 VRMs. If you don't understand what's being presented there, the basic idea is that the motherboards with a green checkmark in the OC 3700X/3800X or stock 3700X/3800X columns are the ones capable of running a 3700X at peak overclocks or stock speeds, respectively, without VRM throttling or airflow concerns.

Most 400 and 300 series motherboards will need to have their BIOS updated to support Zen 2, which is a separate issue from the quality of the motherboard itself. The only guaranteed exception to this I can think of are the MSI B450 Max boards, such as B450 Tomahawk Max. Unless you're using a motherboard with a feature like Flash BIOS Button (or similar) you will need to use an older Zen or Zen+ CPU to update the BIOS.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

45 minutes ago, melete said:

Must-have or even important features are really up to you and your personal set of preferences.

For example, I will not use a motherboard that doesn't have debugging features like LEDs or post codes. That eliminates a whole lot of motherboards from my consideration entirely. Some people need a certain number of USB or front USB-C. Others value having a good audio codec. Etc, etc.

The only universal must-have (in my opinion anyway) are VRMs capable of running your chosen CPU. And even then, the quality of VRM design you need is conditional on if you're running stock settings, or using Precision Boost Overdrive or manually overclocking. The popularly recommended motherboards here tend to be the ones with good VRM designs for their price class (looking at you, MSI B450 Tomahawk). They might work for you, or you might want a feature that's not on those boards.

The best way to decide which motherboard is best for you is to think about what features you value, and then do some research about all the motherboards in your price range. Except for VRM information, the manufacturer's website will have all the relevant information about their motherboards. 

Here's a useful spreadsheet on Zen 2 VRMs. If you don't understand what's being presented there, the basic idea is that the motherboards with a green checkmark in the OC 3700X/3800X or stock 3700X/3800X columns are the ones capable of running a 3700X at peak overclocks or stock speeds, respectively, without VRM throttling or airflow concerns.

Most 400 and 300 series motherboards will need to have their BIOS updated to support Zen 2, which is a separate issue from the quality of the motherboard itself. The only guaranteed exception to this I can think of are the MSI B450 Max boards, such as B450 Tomahawk Max. Unless you're using a motherboard with a feature like Flash BIOS Button (or similar) you will need to use an older Zen or Zen+ CPU to update the BIOS.

that's an awesome spreadsheet, really helps, thanks a lot.

Love not hate