what cpu should i get???

Go to solution Solved by 5x5,

The 3700X - the 9700K is irrelevant at this point and price. In games they are virtually identical. You will not notice a difference unless you are using a 2080 Ti at 1080p at which point the 9700K is about 4% faster. In everything else - the 3700X offers 30-40% more performance and speed. The Ryzen 7 uses less power AND runs cooler than the i7. It offers an actual upgrade path up to a 16-core 3950X, whereas the 1151 socket is end of life - 10th gen Intel CPUs are confirmed to not be compatible so with that you are stuck with the space heater that is the 9900K at best. In addition, Zen3 which is due in 2020 is rumoured to be compatible with existing AM4 boards so you could potentially have an even better upgrade option next year. Lastly, I'd like to mention the constant flow of security issues popping up with Intel that require patches which reduce performance.

TL:DR - the 3700X is a more advanced, faster, cooler, more efficient processor.

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I hadn't seen the OCed numbers, just stock. But we're both saying Zen 2 has a better IPC than Intel's chips so I'm not sure where the disagreement is? 

I am pointing out that the difference in IPC is a factor since as patches and updates come, the gap narrows more and more until we're left at the above situation where gaming is almost the same and everything else is just vastly better on Zen2 - the 2018 video of Linus' comparison is not relevant since Zen+ wasn't nearly as competitive in games as Zen2.

EDIT: @Zando Bob okay, I think I mixed up the people who I was responding too. My apologies :/

Compare the 9700k to a 3600, and you'll see that it IS actually a close battle. Yes the 9700k wins in all workloads, but the gap is much less than people think it is. It is fairly close in single-threaded and very close in multithreaded. Therefore, forget the 3700x and 9700k. This is a battle between the 3600 and 9700k for gaming. And there's only one winner in terms of price/performance alone. (Hint: it isn't the 9700k).

The 3600 is nearly half the price of the 9700k, it's not too far away in performance in all situations, it's far more efficient and includes a free cooler.

The 3600 doesn't just slay the 9400f and 9600k, oh no. People need to realize this thing takes on chips above it's own weight class and performs admirably.