Guardian newspaper destroys computer containing Snowden files

j29

The Guardian newspaper has revealed that some of their journalists were supervised by GCHQ (UK intelligence HQ) staff in the destruction of a computer containing files leaked by Edward Snowden. The procedure was filmed and posted to their website. The video appears to show them destroying hard drives with a dremel and drilling holes into what appears to be an mSATA SSD. 

Source

At the end of the video a wide-angle shot is shown of all of the PC's components and it is obvious that the motherboard, GPU and more have been destroyed. Is this really necessary in order to protect the data that was stored on the PC? Especially considering that the Guardian admitted to having other copies of the files saved in other countries...

Edit: Relevant Guardian article

Are you not entertained!?

Sound kinda dumb. There are better/easier ways to destroy the data. And then there is the not so surprising stupidity of trashing the rest of the computer.

But this is the Guardian...

Edit: Made a mistake in original comment, meant write gchq, wrote guardian for some reason.

With the internet in existence and all sorts of removable storage; I don't think grinding off the south bridge is really going to stop anyone who's going to save a copy from doing so.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

Sound kinda dumb. There are better/easier ways to destroy the data. And then there is the not so surprising stupidity of trashing the rest of the computer.

It's not the guardian ... It is the gchq ... those dumb fucks knew that there were several other copies of the files but insisted on destroying those two computers.

much anti-Guardian brain-wash in north america?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

This is like almost half a year old news.

My apologies if it is, but both the video and the relevant article appear to have been published today?

Are you not entertained!?

The Guardian, one of the few intelligent newspapers. Which, not only made backups, but shared the content with other publications, and continues to leak information about the NSA / GCHQ. So maybe not as dumb as you might think. The ceremonial trashing of the computer, was clearly for propaganda reasons.

I have noticed that a lot Americans do seem to dismiss anything with 'left leaning' tendencies as soon as it's mentioned. I think the Guardian is now dumped into that category. It's unfortunate.

It's not the guardian ... It is the gchq ... those dumb fucks knew that there were several other copies of the files but insisted on destroying those two computers.

much anti-Guardian brain-wash in north america?

Nope.

My mistake, thanks for the assumption.

The Guardian, one of the few intelligent newspapers. Which, not only made backups, but shared the content with other publications, and continues to leak information about the NSA / GCHQ. So maybe not as dumb as you might think. The ceremonial trashing of the computer, was clearly for propaganda reasons.

I have noticed that a lot Americans do seem to dismiss anything with 'left leaning' tendencies as soon as it's mentioned. I think the Guardian is now dumped into that category. It's unfortunate.

Speaking of generalizations....

I made a mistake. What is your excuse?

Why did they remove the heat sink from the gpu

Reminds me of the coppers that burn down a few tons of pot from time to time to get on news outlets. Too bad I never get to know in advance to...let say cover the story as an independent reporter.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why did they remove the heat sink from the gpu

In case they stored Snowden files in the heatsink too...  ;)

In case they stored Snowden files in the heatsink too...  ;)

He is crafty, they probably ripped all the caps out of the psu too

Speaking of generalizations....

I made a mistake. What is your excuse?

I was just making an observation. It's a common practice that is used, that if a government, or government agencies, don't like sensitive information being made public knowledge, they will actively try to damage the legitimacy of the source and/or question it's political motives. Think Wikileaks, and Julian Assange.

It would be extremely naive to think that people aren't influenced by the wider media, and this is routinely used by government agencies to manipulate public opinion. I wasn't making a generalisation, or singling out a particular society as a whole. I was saying it's a tool used in America, to dismiss 'left leaning' publications as a way of shaping public opinion, because more often than not, these don't share the same political values. You could call it an inbuilt defence mechanism.

I should have fleshed out what I meant. I was simply pointing out that the Guardian is now on the radar in America, and has been thrown into that dynamic. Which does absolutely exist. Like I say, just an observation.

Liberals do the exact same thing with Right Wing media, I'm not gonna single anybody out. It's just important to take a leak as important as this, as an example of how the freedom of the press should be a celebrated, whichever publication it may have came from.