why you SHOULDN'T buy a Seasonic Focus (Plus) (Gold/Platinum)

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it has it's opp/ocp set below the ripple problematic load, around 110%

the ripple issues occur at 120%

Thanks for the clarification ?

So I’m in the middle of an upgrade and stumbled upon this thread. I currently have a 7700K/RTX2080 with the Focus Plus 750FX I purchased in 2018. It’s been a great PSU and I haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). I’m upgrading to a 3900X. Do you think I’m safe for a little longer until I can upgrade the PSU? Or should I wait to install my new setup until I can replace it? Thanks in Advance.

Just now, LS1iFiEd said:

So I’m in the middle of an upgrade and stumbled upon this thread. I currently have a 7700K/RTX2080 with the Focus Plus 750FX I purchased in 2018. It’s been a great PSU and I haven’t had any issues (knock on wood). I’m upgrading to a 3900X. Do you think I’m safe for a little longer until I can upgrade the PSU? Or should I wait to install my new setup until I can replace it? Thanks in Advance.

I really wouldn't worry about it. 

:)

On 8/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Old revisions (2017-2018) will shut off on some GPUs (970, 1080 ti, vega 64, 2080 ti). it'll will trigger the overpower protection, and will shut down immediately

That's a pretty wide range of GPU power draw, a bit more enlightening here would be nice in my opinion.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's a pretty wide range of GPU power draw, a bit more enlightening here would be nice in my opinion.

i did some minor changes why this likely was happening

speaking about that... you're still linking psu tier list 2.0 in your sig, if you can update that too

I bought a FOCUS Plus Gold 650 FX in October 2018 and had no issues with my 1080ti so far (although it´s UV to 0.9V most of the time).

How do I test whether or not it´s a faulty unit? Or can i assume im "safe"?

I was planning on using it with the upcoming Ampere cards (3070 or 3080) and just want to make sure.

I'm about to replace my old Corsair AX1200 with the Seasonic PRIME 1300 now I'm kind of hesitant because of this issue.

i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz 1.39v (Direct-Die) | ASUS ROG Maximus XI Apex | ASUS ROG 2080 Ti O11G | Trident Z Royal @ 4200MHz CL18 | 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB | MasterWatt Maker 1200 Plus | Swiftech H360X3 + Nemesis 360 GTX + Barrowch 200mm Boxfish | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic | Samsung CHG70 32" QLED, 1ms 144Hz | Logitech G815 Tactile | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G840 | Kanto Yu4 + Kanto SUB8 8-Inch

17 minutes ago, ntuason said:

I'm about to replace my old Corsair AX1200 with the Seasonic PRIME 1300 now I'm kind of hesitant because of this issue.

Why do you want to replace it?

The Prime (not talking about Prime Ultra) is different from the Focus. I would avoid the Prime Gold and Prime Platinum, as they are among the loudest PSUs you can get, and they also lack multi rail. 

:)

2 hours ago, ntuason said:

that seems like a sidegrade. i dont see why you would do that change. 

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Why do you want to replace it?

The Prime (not talking about Prime Ultra) is different from the Focus. I would avoid the Prime Gold and Prime Platinum, as they are among the loudest PSUs you can get, and they also lack multi rail. 

I have been using the AX1200 since release (sometime in 2010) and I’m a little worried as its been 3 years past its warranty. I’m upgrading for peace of mind I guess, as the AX seems to be going strong still.

What would you guys consider an upgrade to the AX1200? Under $400CAD/$300USD.

i9-9900K @ 5.2GHz 1.39v (Direct-Die) | ASUS ROG Maximus XI Apex | ASUS ROG 2080 Ti O11G | Trident Z Royal @ 4200MHz CL18 | 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB | MasterWatt Maker 1200 Plus | Swiftech H360X3 + Nemesis 360 GTX + Barrowch 200mm Boxfish | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic | Samsung CHG70 32" QLED, 1ms 144Hz | Logitech G815 Tactile | Logitech G Pro Wireless | Logitech G840 | Kanto Yu4 + Kanto SUB8 8-Inch

4 hours ago, ntuason said:

i'd say it's wildly overkill to do... but you're best making an own topic around this for the best advice, not asking here

21 hours ago, ntuason said:

I have been using the AX1200 since release (sometime in 2010) and I’m a little worried as its been 3 years past its warranty. I’m upgrading for peace of mind I guess, as the AX seems to be going strong still.

It's very robust PSU, with very good load regulation and ripple in crossloads even for modern standards, i see no reason to replace it other than 'for the peace of mind', which isn't a good reason IMO. But if you want to replace it, i don't see why you need 1200W PSU, you'll be good with some good 650\750W PSU, smth like Corsair RMx\RM, be quiet! SP11, Seasonic PRIME Ultra Gold\Phanteks Revolt Pro (same thing internally), Corsair HX, FD ION+. But if you really want a unit of comparable wattage, 1200W Corsair HX\HXi would be good, not exactly an upgrade but rather a 300$ warranty renewal, it's multi-rail in contrast to most other units of comparable wattage (and HXi are digital even for 30 CAD more) so i see no reason to go for Seasonic at this point since they cost the same (it's kinda okay for 650\750W units tho, although Corsair are cheaper there anyway).

Edit: Also you can get in-between priced Seasonic PRIME Ultra Gold \ Corsair RMx 1000W.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

So I currently have a Focus Plus Gold 850W (Bought some time in 2018, the cables have capacitors) with a stock-cooled 3900X (might switch to an AIO water cooler or one of those noctuas people keep talking about someday) and an 5700XT (XFX Thicc III Ultra, comes with an industrial vacuum cleaner, quite an overclock, and needs two 8-pin PCIe power connectors) on an ASUS X570 TUF whatever.

I only realised the shenanigans around my PSU today as I wanted to build a NAS and had to do research on what PSU to buy for it. The NAS itself is nothing impressive, but I really wouldn't like my computer to get damaged just by the PSU. However, I also wouldn't like to lose data...

So, I have a few options for dealing with my PSU situation:

A) Get a PSU for the NAS and keep my PC as-is

B) Give my PC's PSU to the NAS and buy a new PSU for my PC

C) Throw the Focus away or put it on some shelf to collect dust (There goes my 10-year warranty) and get new PSUs for both

OuterVision's PSU calculator says that my NAS will be 350W if I got everything I wanted to put into it, which I don't think I ever will, and my computer's around 570W. Is my power supply too risky to keep or is it not as big of an issue as it seems to be? Would it be fine even on my PC?

Oh, and by the way, how safe are SATA power splitters or Molex to SATA (yes, I know the molded ones are huge fire hazards) adapters? Should I get a PSU with all the SATA ports I want or get one of those adapters?

2 minutes ago, durppe said:

OuterVision's PSU calculator says that my NAS will be 350W if I got everything I wanted to put into it, which I don't think I ever will, and my computer's around 570W. Is my power supply too risky to keep or is it not as big of an issue as it seems to be? Would it be fine even on my PC?

and outervision is already known to heavily overestimate

as i've said before, and counts for you too

your psu doesn't reach the problematic point, doesn't shut off, so keep it

On 2/11/2020 at 12:07 PM, LukeSavenije said:

if anything, the vega would've caused those easier than a 5700xt

since you already have it, keep it

Yeah, the Vega started doing it. Replacing with a BitFenix Whisper M 750.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I am planning to buy the Seasonic Focus GX-550. Do you still recommend buying another PSU? If yes, which one?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, TypischKoen said:

Hi! I am planning to buy the Seasonic Focus GX-550. Do you still recommend buying another PSU? If yes, which one?

GX is a 2019 version, which don't include any of the problems

22 minutes ago, FrutyX said:

Mine is marked as Focus Gold 650FM and I've just found out that "FM" is in the thread tags...

if you end up getting a GM in, have nothing to worry

if it turns out to be a FM, it's not power hungry enough what you're running to worry

I wish I noticed this thread before I bought my PSU. I bought the seasonic focus 850 and it popped after about 2 months. Luckily I had an EVGA G2 I was able to use instead. I guess I'll use the Focus in my NAS I'm building once I get it back. :(

20 hours ago, Zomeguy said:

I wish I noticed this thread before I bought my PSU. I bought the seasonic focus 850 and it popped after about 2 months. Luckily I had an EVGA G2 I was able to use instead. I guess I'll use the Focus in my NAS I'm building once I get it back. :(

This has nothing to do with the problem discussed in this thread, random failures happen randomly.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I've noticed this thread as I was doing my research about this PSU and reading some of the posts here left me confused. Is it safe to buy the Focus GX-750 80+ Gold PSU (SSR-750FX) considering I have a 1080ti paired with a 9600k? Some people posted about issues regarding this GPU in combination with this PSU.

1 hour ago, Odyss said:

Is it safe to buy the Focus GX-750 80+ Gold PSU (SSR-750FX) considering I have a 1080ti paired with a 9600k?

yes, as gx is the 2019 version, which has this fixed.

34 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, as gx is the 2019 version, which has this fixed.

Fantastic news! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...