Car game with decent handling and customisation

Ive been looking for a car game that has good car customisation, mostly because I love to upgrade things and feel the performance change and cars tend to do this well, with how they change as they get upgraded so lately or well rather for a few years now Ive been waiting for a game like Need For Speed 2 or Forza 2 to come out on pc where you could build custom cars and race them and drive them and feel how they change as you improve them but, when forza horizon was released on pc I was amped but that game came out and the handling of the cars was too arcadesh for me, I get put off when cars handle like arcade games I prefer more realistic controls but most games that have more realistic handling seem to always have no car customisation other than paint and tires, and the more arcade style racers usually are where you get the customisation now.

I have played project cars alot but that game lacks something to me to keep me interested so if you guys have any suggestions on car games like a forza horizon/project cars game where I can modify and build cars while also not being too arcadish please let me know im desperate for a good car game again. 

Sorry for the long post and bad grammar here's a full stop. 

Dirt Rally? You can change some stuff like the suspension, ride height, brake bias, difs, gears etc. Nothing like buying new parts though, just adjusting stuff.

Main System: Ryzen 7 5800x | Asus Strix B550A | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL14 | GTX 1080 | Fedora 36

Server: Ryzen 7 2700x | Asus Strix B450-F | 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz | GTX 1060 6GB | Unraid 6.10.3

Laptop: Intel i5 4200u | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | GT 740m | Windows 10

Mobile: iPhone 13 Mini | 128GB // Poco X3 NFC | 128GB

Need for speed Payback is OK and has a lot of visual customization but the story is absolutely trash and the handling is very arcadish. The only reason I'm recommending it is because it goes on sale for $5 pretty often.

Beamng Drive can customize everything from the pistons and differentials to the entire body of the car and even trailers and other accessories. The handling is realistic but it's a sandbox game so there's not any racing unless you play one of the scenarios. It's a free-roam game where you're the only car on the road (but you can add ai).

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 hour ago, Damien19721508 said:

any suggestions on car games like a forza horizon/project cars game where I can modify and build cars while also not being too arcadish

There is only one game that fits this bill. Project Cars 2. But there is a gigantic learning curve you will have to learn or you will never even finish races, or in my case, want to keep the game. Car games are made to be arcadish so that races can actually be completed. Project Cars 2 did such a good job with not being arcadish, finishing races is a monumental achievement. It's also one of the best looking car games that exists, even in VR.

You missed it's historic low price of just $12.49 in July at IndieGala and most likely won't see that price for a long time. However, you can snag it right now at IndieGala for $14.99 before it goes back off sale... Project Cars 2 for $14.99. You have just 2 days to do so.

indiepr2.png.71673e7147c91b85514ac07a6d850377.png

It's only worth it if you plan to get over the learning curve that I spoke of. If you can do that, the value of the game imo is $20.00 to $30.00.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

There is only one game that fits this bill. Project Cars 2. But there is a gigantic learning curve you will have to learn or you will never even finish races, or in my case, want to keep the game. Car games are made to be arcadish so that races can actually be completed. Project Cars 2 did such a good job with not being arcadish, finishing races is a monumental achievement. It's also one of the best looking car games that exists, even in VR.

You missed it's historic low price of just $12.49 in July at IndieGala and most likely won't see that price for a long time. However, you can snag it right now at IndieGala for $14.99 before it goes back off sale... Project Cars 2 for $14.99. You have just 2 days to do so.

indiepr2.png.71673e7147c91b85514ac07a6d850377.png

It's only worth it if you plan to get over the learning curve that I spoke of. If you can do that, the value of the game imo is $20.00 to $30.00.

I played project cars the original one for 200+ hours I enjoyed the realism of it and the cars handling, but there was no customisation in the game other than colors and tires and I have tried pc2 as well and it felt alot like number 1 to me unless I missed something like some kind of game mode but I dont think this is quite what im looking for, but I appreciate the time you took to reply and share this deal with me sir. :)

1 hour ago, Votivee said:

Need for speed Payback is OK and has a lot of visual customization but the story is absolutely trash and the handling is very arcadish. The only reason I'm recommending it is because it goes on sale for $5 pretty often.

Beamng Drive can customize everything from the pistons and differentials to the entire body of the car and even trailers and other accessories. The handling is realistic but it's a sandbox game so there's not any racing unless you play one of the scenarios. It's a free-roam game where you're the only car on the road (but you can add ai).

Ah I actually have it already but thank you for the recommendation :) 

37 minutes ago, Damien19721508 said:

I enjoyed the realism of it and the cars handling, but there was no customisation in the game other than colors and tires but I dont think this is quite what im looking for, but I appreciate the time you took to reply and share this deal

Welcome. There is no game with all these elements at the best of what they can be. That's why I recommended Project Cars 2 as it bests quite a few elements. You might find a game with more customization but it's not going to be very realistic or devoted to being a "car game" when compared to Project Cars 2.

There's always games like Forza 4, The Crew 2 and even GTA 5 that's gonna provide a decent balance of things but they're more centered to the open world aspect. If you're looking to modify and build cars, try a simulation game. There's multiple Car Sims out there.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Forza Motorsport 7? If you catch it on a decent sale you can get it for $30 and that has decent enough customization.

I actually looked at it but in my country it starts at over 1000 rand which is roughly 70 usd and I don't have that kind of money for a game but I was interested in it as used to enjoy forza 2 on xbox as i remember you could buy something like a honda civic and tune it up and I really enjoyed those games and I remember the cars felt more on the simulation side than arcade side which I preferred.

1 hour ago, pizapower said:

Street Legal Redline

Customization is very good but handling not that good.

Thank you sir I will look it up.

Going off what Dan said...

The Forza Motorsports series is much more simulation based than Forza Horizon which is not realistic at all. Forza Motorsports 6: Apex is free in the Microsoft store if you want to give that a try, but it is nothing like the full games. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

The short answer is no. Unless you buy an old NFS title, the only other game with any actual customization that isn't garbage as a game is Forza. Otherwise there's a few indie games of varying quality from shit to mediocre.

If you like to build cars, there's My Summer Car, but I haven't personally played it.

#Muricaparrotgang

15 hours ago, pizapower said:

Street Legal Redline

Customization is very good but handling not that good.

Thank you sir I will look it up.

I remembered need for speed shift exists and that has some customisation and the career mode letsme build my own car so I guess for now I'll settle for that till I find something similiar to that but newer Im currently downloading forza 6 apex to try that out, If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know I really appreciate it :D .

On 8/12/2019 at 6:52 PM, Damien19721508 said:

Ive been looking for a car game that has good car customisation, mostly because I love to upgrade things and feel the performance change and cars tend to do this well, with how they change as they get upgraded so lately or well rather for a few years now Ive been waiting for a game like Need For Speed 2 or Forza 2 to come out on pc where you could build custom cars and race them and drive them and feel how they change as you improve them but, when forza horizon was released on pc I was amped but that game came out and the handling of the cars was too arcadesh for me, I get put off when cars handle like arcade games I prefer more realistic controls but most games that have more realistic handling seem to always have no car customisation other than paint and tires, and the more arcade style racers usually are where you get the customisation now.

I have played project cars alot but that game lacks something to me to keep me interested so if you guys have any suggestions on car games like a forza horizon/project cars game where I can modify and build cars while also not being too arcadish please let me know im desperate for a good car game again. 

Sorry for the long post and bad grammar here's a full stop. 

I used to play Gran Turismo series till I get too rich in game, then no more trophies to grab, I bought some used classic retro cars and max tuned them then I did some killer laps to get personal records on Nordschleife with them.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

11 hours ago, Damien19721508 said:

I remembered need for speed shift exists and that has some customisation and the career mode letsme build my own car so I guess for now I'll settle for that till I find something similiar to that but newer Im currently downloading forza 6 apex to try that out, If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know I really appreciate it :D .

Forza Apex is a massively slimmed down early PC port test. I don't even remember if it actually has customization, but the performance is generally pretty poor.

#Muricaparrotgang