MAC vs PC

Samster

That's an endless discussion. Some people like OSX because they grew up with it or because they genuinely like it better than other OSes or because they need it. Same goes for Windows/Linux. I use Windows because CAD and games and I can't be bothered to use Wine/Bootcamp.

Comes down to personal taste and what your using your Computer for.

Example on Mac music editing software is alot easier and more functional however it lacks game support and the freely available program selection is significantly less compared to Windows.

Windows on the other hand has more freeware,gaming functionality, and in general better support with other Computers as it is the most used OS but Windows too has it's downfall where to some it is considered less secure 'because' of the easily accessible freeware also Windows has less of an eco system in which all of your devices can sync together.

Personally I use Windows 7 I grew up with windows therefore I know how to use and and well and I'm happy with what it does :)

I like my windows and the option to do what ever i want to my pc and my os, so thats why i love windwos and not mac

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I have both and love them for what each can do over the other.

I currently have and i7 iMac (changing to MBP) and my custom build machine, OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 7 Professional respectively. Now, i'm not going to go in depth to why i prefer them, but here are my simple reasons, MY reasons:

In media creation (Cubase, Logic, AE, Cinema 4D) OSX > Windows. I have found it is a nicer and more suited environment to work in.

In gaming and power usage Windows > OSX.

I really enjoy using OSX for its simplicity and power when its required. Where as there are simple things which i miss in OSX which are in Windows that makes you wonder why they aren't there.

In reverse there are features in OSX that make navigation and integration between apps and user a lot easier in than in Windows in which i also wonder why they are not there.

There are benefits to each which i both love and hate, but i cannot see myself being a one OS person anymore xD

PS1, my iMac is also triple booted across my custom fit M4 SSD and WD-B 1TB, THAT was a lot of fun to do! xD

PS2, MacBook's are the only worthwhile Mac's in my opinion, it wasn't until I had reached the stage in which i was planning my custom build in which i realised just how much money was wasted, so i'm piping what i get back for my iMac into my custom build and a MacBook Pro.

Don't start this. Some people prefer OS X and some people prefer Windows. Everyone knows that this will turn into fanboys defending each OS and will be the same on every other discussion about this. I own both Windows and Mac.

Only real reason I use Windows is gaming...

Else I would probably use Ubuntu.

Apple Is Fascist. You can’t build a Mac easily, and you can’t really customize them, either -- not unless you want to invalidate your warranty. They’re like fancy sports cars run on a single computer chip, fixable only at your dealer for a set price. Hacking a Mac feels like rape to fanboys, and it can be done, but with a trip to Fry’s Electronics and a little lunch money in the PC world you can basically soup up your own Windows roadster. That’s not appealing to most people -- but there are amazing things you can do on PCs with homemade software that usually isn’t OS X-compatible whatsoever. Waiting for a Mac patch of a file-sharing program, cell phone patcher, or whatever your freedom-cherishing heart desires can feel like exile. Sure, Macs have fewer viruses, worms, and crapware -- but they also have expensive, difficult-to-mod machines that become obsolete in a few short years. The same thing happens to PCs, too. And they're cheaper.

Ice Cream Man's Computer -3770K @4.5ghz- P8Z77-V PRO -Asus GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II 4 GB -Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866mhz -Corsair AX750 Gold -WD 2TB Black -M4 128GB SSD

OSX is a good operating system, its lightweight in the sense it doesnt use alot of system resources to run like vista did, and also handles memory very well, its also great for professional video editing and photos etc but thats mostly due to iLife not the OS, however personally i find it a little awkward to use at times but still im not a frequent user, at the moment i run windows 7 exclusively as it is compatible with pretty much everything out there, it has the freedom to do what i want with it, has lots of software support and new features, isnt as wasteful as vista and im familiar with its workings which is why i wont buy windows 8 because its just a tablet OS in my mind whereas windows 7 was more of a proper desktop OS

Mac vs PC: As an Ex-Mac user who had to move to PC because it was not only more economical but also a way to be able to use all the apps I needed to get my work done. Sure these day's you can install Fusion/Parallels to get PC (Windows apps) but who wants to really maintain two computers now instead of just one, even if its virtual you still need to update apps and the OS for security patches, time sink. Mac's used to be the more customizable and cooler OS but now its so locked down and rather boring, maybe I'm more of a tinkerer and Windows still allows you to tinker and even break it, which is OK by me. Then the Mac OS X is not a real Unix system, it still has all kinds of exceptions to the rule which to me mean its not real Unix, the worst thing is you still get a fragmented hard disk! In Unix that was solved a decade a go and the Mac's still get a fragmented hard drive, that is totally nuts for a Unix based OS to have a fragmented hard drive.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Mac vs PC: Very much depends on how much money you are willing to spend on a computer and whether or not you want to run OSX (without having to tinker with it)

OSX vs Windows: Why not have both? Works for me, hell, you can even throw in a Linux distro or 2 if your feeling adventurous.

they both have pro's and cons. my opinion windows 8 has been a disaster. osx they only change small things so your experience is more even.

textmining-worms-copy.jpg

PopCorn.png

honestly; people choose what they like - you won't convince anyone otherwise. It's a personal thing..

I like windows for gaming and other stuff and OSX for editing and such.

O boy another one of these pointless debates! Here's what I think makes Apple "great" is that you have people buying PC's that have an AMD Athlon and 1GB of RAM, then what do they do? They buy a MAC and think that there so great because the cost 1,000$. What the reality is if you know anything about computers you'll know that it's all about the hardware and you can build a fast PC for 500$. If you like MAC simply because of the OS that's cool but anyone with a brain knows that they are overpricing there parts.

Guy comes home tells his wife to pack her bags, she says "where are we going?" guy replies "I don't know where you're going to just be out of here by five."

This argument won't ever end. As much as people try to justify either side, it just becomes sheer preference. For most of my day to day stuff and uni work (which includes development) I stick with my MacBook Pro and only switch over to my windows machine when I either need to run a piece of windows only software, I need the extra screen real estate, I need to test on another platform, or do a bit of gaming.

As for pricing, yes, macs are very expensive, but I think it's made up for in the build quality. I've spent similar amounts of money in the past on laptops (£1000) that have been cheapy plastics affairs. They don't even compare to my MBP. On the desktop side it is very different, especially when it comes to the Mac Pro (the iMac I class as an exception due to the display) as you can easily build a comparable system (and even run OS X on it) for half the price with potentially more power, which is what I plan on doing for my next build.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

That's an endless discussion. Some people like OSX because they grew up with it or because they genuinely like it better than other OSes or because they need it. Same goes for Windows/Linux. I use Windows because CAD and games and I can't be bothered to use Wine/Bootcamp.
Autodesk now has auto cad available for OS X.

The Mac Pro is probable the most powerful Pre-Assembled consumer desktop PC, it costs more then my car but It has the ability to run two Intel Xeon E7 processors with SLI Nvidia K5000 or a Maximus setup with a K5000 and then a strictly compute GPU for renders. It also supports up to 128 gigs of ram.

Of course you can build your own pc that is more powerful but its going to cost near the same price of a mac pro.

Autodesk now has auto cad available for OS X. The Mac Pro is probable the most powerful Pre-Assembled consumer desktop PC' date=' it costs more then my car but It has the ability to run two Intel Xeon E7 processors with SLI Nvidia K5000 or a Maximus setup with a K5000 and then a strictly compute GPU for renders. It also supports up to 128 gigs of ram. Of course you can build your own pc that is more powerful but its going to cost near the same price of a mac pro.[/quote']

For my tuition, I need to use Solidworks.

Also your comment is completely false. Do you even know what kind of pre assambled computers you can buy? Not only workstations by HP, Dell that can also be decked out completely, but also supercomputers by IBM. Those are also prebuilts (although not a desktop pc)

I don't know where you got those specs from, but from Apple website you can only configure the mac with a HD5870 (SERIOUSLY THOUGH, a 2 gen old card?!), dual Xeon E5's and 64 gb of ram.

Building your own pc wil *always* be cheaper, specifically when compared to Apple pc's that have a tremendous markup. Look at the site, they charge $450 to double your ram from 12 to 24gb, they also charge $1000 extra for the jump from a 1tb hdd to a 512gb ssd (that's more than double than what you pay in stores) and it will cost you $1200 to upgrade your processors from 2.4GHz to 2.66GHz. $1200 for a .26GHz increase. That's 260MHz

5/10 slightly mad

Macs are for user friendliness and editing

Pc's are for people who game and don't need the user friendliness

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Love OS X, it'll be tough for Windows to win me back.

I use Windows because I have used it since I was 5 years old with the first version being Windows 3.11. I like PC's because its an open system with lots of possibility. Don't like Macs because it seems like a closed and controlled system. BUT there are games on Steam that do work on Intel based MAC's. Just putting that out their. However Im not impressed with Windows 8. If Windows 9 is the same disappointment Ill have to move to Linux.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Macs are for user friendliness and editing Pc's are for people who game and don't need the user friendliness

User friendliness comes at the price of lack of flexibility and options. Even if you had your games on it, you will miss what Windows can do, especially when it comes down to troubleshooting things.

apples hardware is weak sause , I like OSX but untill its licenced to run on my hardware it may as well not exsist in my mind.

I used mac books for years, every single person in my house has their own, except the 8 year old, haha. My family had 1 pc a long time ago, and we had nothing but problems with it. Our first macbook, and everything was fine and dandy. But once I learned more about pc's and computing power, I quickly began a build of my own :] I use both mac and pc now, and I feel they have their advantages, just depends on what you need.