Need some advice on new CPU in system

Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
3 minutes ago, nullata said:

After i upgraded the cpu the system started performing differently on boot. 

The gpu started ramping up fans to what sounds like 100% when the pc is booting up, before the drivers load in. 

Possibly because 3rd Gen Ryzen has PCIe 4 and you're using B450, which results in some weird quirk going on? I wouldn't worry about it at all if everything is working fine, could be fixed with a BIOS update later on

Also I just read that it seems like they removed PCIe 4 in the latest BIOS update, I don't know, like I said weird quirk with BIOS, you could try going back to a previous version

Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding my system which i upgraded the other day.

The pc:
- had a Ryzen 1700 and upgraded to a 3700X with a 140mm noctua cooler push/pul

- mobo is gb aorus b450m

- ram is 16gb adata @ 3200mhz

- gpu is a palit 2070

- for storage 2x samsung evo 250gb m.2; 1x samsung sata 1tb ssd; 2x 1tb seagate 3.5' sata @ 7200rpm

- psu is a 500 wat from cooler master (to be upgraded soon)

The problem:

The gpu started ramping up fans to what sounds like 100% when the pc is booting up, before the drivers load in.

I realize that this is not a problem in 99.99% of the cases and its normal behavior but, id still like to get some opinions.

Before the upgrade the gpu didnt do that, so i tried to put in the old cpu. As expected - no ramping with the old one.

So just with the new cpu, the system ramps up gpu fans on boot.

And during and after boot, there's no problems whatsoever. No mb error codes, on hardware problems in the os.

I even checked for bent pins on the cpu and made sure there's no problem with it and the socket.

Gpu is not oc'd and drivers are up to date.

What im thinking is that its a bios thing, and maybe, just maybe there was an actual problem when the old cpu was installed, since the gpu wasnt doing that.

Bios version is F42a from the gb aorus b450m site https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Regarding the cpu, the system is stable with it and im not overclocking yet, at least not until i upgrade the psu and mb.

What do you think about this? Could it be a because of the psu being insufficient, even though by my calculations i should even have headroom using the 500wat psu.

Have a nice day! :D

I can do anything in bash

3 minutes ago, nullata said:

Possibly because 3rd Gen Ryzen has PCIe 4 and you're using B450, which results in some weird quirk going on? I wouldn't worry about it at all if everything is working fine, could be fixed with a BIOS update later on

Also I just read that it seems like they removed PCIe 4 in the latest BIOS update, I don't know, like I said weird quirk with BIOS, you could try going back to a previous version

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Mine does that too. I switched from a 1500x on a b350 with a 1060. New system is a 3600 on a b450 tomahawk with an evga 2070. Now the fans ramp up when it boots. Once it loads into the bios or into windows it stops. Since it goes away I never concerned myself with it. The only thing I can think is maybe it is performing some kind of test or something. Or for whatever reason in a certain stage of the start up it is bypassing or not seeing the fan control systems. As long as they stop when windows loads I wouldn't worry about it. If I remember correctly my older systems did the same thing. On mine I think my radiator cooling fans ramp up too, but I haven't actually pulled the covers off to look, or stick my head down there to listen.

I have a 3700x and a x570 asus board and the exact same thing happens, only ramps for about 4 seconds and dies down, so I wouldn't worry about it because the fans are rated to function at that speed regardless so nothing wrong on your end.

Definitely a bios quirk. Should be fixed in one of the next revisions.
A side note about a thing i noticed is that the default fan curve for all fan headers on the mb for the installed 3700X is a bit too aggressive and unnecessary to be that way. 

A bit of tweaking fixed it and temps are perfectly fine.

And another side note: with the current bios revision the vcore voltage default was quite high - 1.5 to be exact. I recommend anyone to check that after installing the cpu and set that to 1.3 as 1.5 is a bit too much and can fry the cpu.

I can do anything in bash