Is it worth getting a mechanical keyboard?

Go to solution Solved by nox_,
7 minutes ago, sniip said:

Been a while. I spend a bit of time on reaserch and local market is crap. Lol. I think I would like to go for MX Red as I tested and really liked them. Sadly there are not a lot of places to get and test all of these and I was only able to test Hyper X alloy FPS that had Red swiches. 

All other I was able to find was a bunch of Razer ones, I liked the ones with Greens ones (blackwidow) but was a bit too loud.

The G413 was also quite nice but not sure if it is worth the 91 Euro price... The last simple designed one I was able to find that cought my eye was Asus Cerberus RGB but no one had in stock so I could test. I just like how it looks, sadly it uses non Cherry switches and from review I found that it is "unusable" do to poor software and drivers.

At this point i'm just lost... I want a keyboard that would have Cherry MX Red switches and would look something similair like G413. (I want a basic looking keyboard with decent switches) Sadly was not able to find any locally and shipping one costs a fortune...

https://playpro.lt/lt/zaidimu-klaviatura-logitech-g413-carbon-kaina-us-layout-romer-g-switches

On sale now. But I would get this one : http://www.skytech.lt/hxkb4rd1usr2-hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-laidine-itin-kompaktiska-mechanine-zaidimu-kla-p-362560.html?utm_source=kaina24.lt&utm_medium=referral

Just now, rice guru said:

I prefer no tactility  but smooth linears like a gateron red over a shitty scratchy feeling brown. the little bump on the brown makes th ewhole swtch feel scratchy to me. 

That's kinda personal preference don't you think? He should try, and then he might get linears if he likes them better.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's kinda personal preference don't you think? He should try, and then he might get linears if he likes them better.

yep like I aid on a previous comment tha he should get key switch testers to find the right switch for him

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Only one I could find was G413 or G Pro but I do not like the keyless layout.

I love tenkeyless, never use numbers on the numpad, and like to have more space for my mouse, both of the boards use romer g's though.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

I love tenkeyless, never use numbers on the numpad, and like to have more space for my mouse, both of the boards use romer g's though.

I work ona  lot of spreadsheets so that part is essential for me

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I use the number keyboard quite a lot so I need to have that.

3 minutes ago, sniip said:

I use the number keyboard quite a lot so I need to have that.

Got it. Be sure to try some switches in stores, or get a switch tester, that would be ideal for you. Because it's very personal, me or others recommending things are just opinions pretty much, you might like something completely different.

3 hours ago, sniip said:

Hello all,

I wanted to ask you guys for opinion if it is worth to get a mechanical keyborad. All the time I have been using a membrane keyboard and never saw a draw back (of course I cannot compare since I newer had a mechanical keyboard). 

Right now I am thinking of changing my old cheap keyboard which still works fine but is now just very worn off. I want to buy something more fancy than a 5Euro keyboard.

So I mainly use the keyboard to type texts sometimes a bit to game and the keyboard need to have num pad buttons (no keyless variants would sufice). But most importantly I hate a very loud keyboard. Out of everything I looked I was able to find that Cherry MX browns are not as loud and found this keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS with Brown switched that costs about 79 Euros. I also found Razer BlackWidow with green switches for 95 Euros that looks way more clean and I would prefer that one over the HyperX but I am unsure about the sound of switches. On the other hand I was able to find membrane ones that look clean or even the same Razer Cynosa for 50 Euros altho I think it is a bit too expensive for a membrane one.

Could you maybe help me guys to choose if I should go with mechanical one or not. If I would go with it I would probably try to customize the keyboard down the road so would be nice to know which would be better suited for that too.

Guess it depend on what ur coming form and what features u want.

I for example still use my old trusty G15, I very much rely on the LCD display for system monitoring. I would love to upgrade to a mech keyboard BUT the only one with a built in display is the Z10, and thats rather overpriced for what it is, if it had the EVbot that was originally intended to be included i would have bought it, but they changed their mind and omitted it but kept the price high.

in terms of switches Browns are good balance between gamer Reds and typer Blues.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Ducky One 2 are great. I'm currently using the Mini variant with MX Cherry Blue switches. One 2s have all MX Cherry Switch colours to chose from, are very clean, allow you to swap switches if you want later on, and there are many aftermarket key caps that are compatible with them. It is costs a pretty penny, but could be way worse. If you buy a gaming brand keyboard you may have trouble customizing it later, specially if the brand company doesn't make key caps for them. I get that you are looking into spending not so much, but if you invest in a solid product right now, it will last you for a LONG time. Since your main use for the keyboard is typing, I'd say Cherry MX Blues, but they are the loudest and you already said you don't want it, so go with Browns. Avoid linear switches such as Reds like the plague if you will be typing a lot. The tactile feel from Blues/Browns are more satisfying when typing, and linear are said to be better for gaming (but I hate it nonetheless). I have had Blues and Browns since 2012, so I think the Browns are really a safe bet if you are going blind. If you can try them at a local store, that would be perfect.

IMG_2115.jpg

Earlier I was sceptic and the way I see mechanical keyboard was it's just an overrated overpriced peripheral. But when I took the opportunity for the 1st one, I bought the cheapest real mech and the most common switch, the Original Cherry MX-Board 2.0 with the red switch, for only around $30.

My very first impression after typing on it I was like "Wut??!!!! This thing feels amazing"

Since then I never go back to ordinary cheap membran keyboards. I was in a wrong judgement before I get my hands on mechanical keyboard by myself for real.

After sometimes I got myself a lot better mechanical one. Since then, I've already used to mechanical keyboard, and back to my working place where we use mostly cheap membran keyboards, I cant help myself when I get back with yhis keyboard, I can say now that right now I prefer the mechanical keyboards so much. The price is worth it.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

3 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Earlier I was sceptic and the way I see mechanical keyboard was it's just an overrated overpriced peripheral. But when I took the opportunity for the 1st one, I bought the cheapest real mech and the most common switch, the Original Cherry MX-Board 2.0 with the red switch, for only around $30.

My very first impression after typing on it I was like "Wut??!!!! This thing feels amazing"

Since then I never go back to ordinary cheap membran keyboards. I was in a wrong judgement before I get my hands on mechanical keyboard by myself for real.

After sometimes I got myself a lot better mechanical one. Since then, I've already used to mechanical keyboard, and back to my working place where we use mostly cheap membran keyboards, I cant help myself when I get back with yhis keyboard, I can say now that right now I prefer the mechanical keyboards so much. The price is worth it.

What kind of board do you use now?

28 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

What kind of board do you use now?

KBP V60 Type R  with Gateron switches

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

31 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

KBP V60 Type R  with Gateron switches

Nice one, do you use stock caps or something different? Post a photo if you can. Where did you find it with Gaterons?Oh, there is a version with gaterons, without lighting though, my bad.

Edited by noxdeouroboros
something needed editing

19 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Nice one, do you use stock caps or something different? Post a photo if you can. Where did you find it with Gaterons? Only cherry is available to buy iirc.

Sorry, I'm wrong, it's not the Type R, I forgot my own keyboard. Lol.

You are correct, because the Type R only available only with Cherry MX switches, but the non Type R available in various switches.

It's originally with blank top and front print lettering key caps.

SILVER GLINT

7 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Sorry, I'm wrong, it's not the Type R, I forgot my own keyboard. Lol.

You are correct, because the Type R only available only with Cherry MX switches, but the non Type R available in various switches.

It's originally with blank top and side lettering key caps.

Post a pic sometime, it's a nice board, I like ninja printing very much.

24 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Post a pic sometime, it's a nice board, I like ninja printing very much.

Lol. I have a ghetto setup, I'm not feeling confident enough to post any pics of my setup because I'm too lazy to tidy up my room and because I will move to a new resident in next few weeks.

SILVER GLINT

On 8/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

Got it. Be sure to try some switches in stores, or get a switch tester, that would be ideal for you. Because it's very personal, me or others recommending things are just opinions pretty much, you might like something completely different.

Been a while. I spend a bit of time on reaserch and local market is crap. Lol. I think I would like to go for MX Red as I tested and really liked them. Sadly there are not a lot of places to get and test all of these and I was only able to test Hyper X alloy FPS that had Red swiches. 

All other I was able to find was a bunch of Razer ones, I liked the ones with Greens ones (blackwidow) but was a bit too loud.

The G413 was also quite nice but not sure if it is worth the 91 Euro price... The last simple designed one I was able to find that cought my eye was Asus Cerberus RGB but no one had in stock so I could test. I just like how it looks, sadly it uses non Cherry switches and from review I found that it is "unusable" do to poor software and drivers.

At this point i'm just lost... I want a keyboard that would have Cherry MX Red switches and would look something similair like G413. (I want a basic looking keyboard with decent switches) Sadly was not able to find any locally and shipping one costs a fortune...

7 minutes ago, sniip said:

https://playpro.lt/lt/zaidimu-klaviatura-logitech-g413-carbon-kaina-us-layout-romer-g-switches

On sale now. But I would get this one : http://www.skytech.lt/hxkb4rd1usr2-hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-laidine-itin-kompaktiska-mechanine-zaidimu-kla-p-362560.html?utm_source=kaina24.lt&utm_medium=referral

Edited by noxdeouroboros
something needed editing

2 minutes ago, sniip said:

I think I will just got for HyperX one. Worst case I will sell it or return it. Thank you :)

If you buy from skytech and have some trouble if you will want to return it, write me a pm, I might be able to help with that. HyperX is a nice board for the price, you should be okay, especially if you liked mx red.