SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
24 minutes ago, HotaruMio said:

Can't find any info on the non-pro P5 bait-and-switch.

The first revision used Micron NW969 as flash (which corresponds to 96L TLC as the TechPowerUp review shows) while the latest revision that I saw uses Micron NW994 as flash (which corresponds to 128L TLC - Micron's decoder to decode it). The fact that it now uses 176L flash is a mine speculation, I assume that as the MX500 and BX500 use it, but I'm not sure.

32 minutes ago, HotaruMio said:

Would having 128L or even the 176L TLC be a good thing?

Yes, 128L/176L is faster and more enduring than 96L flash.

47 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

The first revision used Micron NW969 as flash (which corresponds to 96L TLC as the TechPowerUp review shows) while the latest revision that I saw uses Micron NW994 as flash (which corresponds to 128L TLC - Micron's decoder to decode it). The fact that it now uses 176L flash is a mine speculation, I assume that as the MX500 and BX500 use it, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info. If I get my P5, how would I know if I got the 96L or the 128/176L? Is there any program I can use to detect? Doesnt seem theres any program that can detect this currently.

Edit: nvm, i just saw that you can check the BPGA number on the chips itself.

Is there anything swapped from its initial release for P5? Seems like this is an improvement rather than a downgrade like SN550, P2 and SX8200Pro

37 minutes ago, HotaruMio said:

Is there anything swapped from its initial release for P5?

What do you mean? 

37 minutes ago, HotaruMio said:

Seems like this is an improvement rather than a downgrade like SN550, P2 and SX8200Pro

Yeah, it’s an improvement, like the BX500 and MX500 (also them use 176L TLC). The SX8200 Pro had an upgrade in some case. 

6 hours ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

What do you mean? 

Yeah, it’s an improvement, like the BX500 and MX500 (also them use 176L TLC). The SX8200 Pro had an upgrade in some case. 

I forgot to add "else" after anything, is there anything else that was swapped from P5's initial release?

17 hours ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

No, only the flash.

Aite, I probably will pull the trigger on the P5 then. Let's see if I will get the 96L or the 128L TLC. Thanks for the info.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:45 AM, fritzmg said:

Careful, WD also made a bait-and-switch with the SN550. The new revision has around 50% worse performance once the SLC-Cache is full.

Imho the SN550 should be downgraded to Tier E.

even with downgrade sn550's 400 mb out of cache write is still far better that most of the dramless drive, WD is bad but drive itself is still good

On 8/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, Wooden Law - Black said:

I know, WD did this like Samsung with the 970 EVO Plus (changed the controller from Phoenix to Elpis with different flash, or 128L - V6 - or maybe has a higher density), in fact the Samsung 970 EVO Plus downgraded as performance (from 1500 MB/s to 850 MB/s). I think WD changed the flash with a denser one (from 512Gb to 1Tb maybe).

Samsung 970 EVO Plus isn't a downgrade

what teir would the Samsung 870 EVO SATA
and the
Team T-Force Vulcan G ssd's be,

like trying to get a 1tb one for kinda cheap, but still want one that is at least B teir mabey C teir. and currently looking at these two

3 hours ago, appleache said:

Samsung 970 EVO Plus isn't a downgrade

I mean as performance, it did 1500 MB/s post-SLC while now 800-850 MB/s. Also temperature got worse.

1 hour ago, KingJet said:

what teir would the Samsung 870 EVO SATA

Tier B (Mid-end).

1 hour ago, KingJet said:

and the Team T-Force Vulcan G ssd's be,

Tier C (Budget).

On 11/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, Wooden Law - Black said:

Just got my P5 SSD, it's using NW970 as flash, which is 96L flash. Didn't win the lottery this time, but still a good drive to use. 

5 hours ago, HotaruMio said:

Just got my P5 SSD, it's using NW970 as flash, which is 96L flash. Didn't win the lottery this time, but still a good drive to use. 

Yeah, it’s B27B. How did you verify? Did you remove the label?

A warning on the Team Group T-Create Classic: There is apparently more than one version of this drive.  A high-performing PCIe gen. 4 version, and a DRAM-less PCIe gen. 3 version.  

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/products/t-create/t-create-classic

https://www.storagereview.com/review/teamgroup-t-create-classic-ssd-review

I didn't do a ton of research before I picked up a T-Create Classic from Newegg based on the ranking here and got burned by this issue.  And now I can't return it because it's a Replacement Only return policy item.  Thanks Newegg.  

3 hours ago, Dantep said:

There is apparently more than one version of this drive.  A high-performing PCIe gen. 4 version, and a DRAM-less PCIe gen. 3 version.  

Same name, different PCB.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, Wooden Law - Black said:

Yeah, it’s B27B. How did you verify? Did you remove the label?

yes, I removed the label to look at the chips, says NW970, and checked online to find out is a 96L NAND. Reviews online for the 2TB also listed that NAND also.

The drive is pretty solid, pretty much solved the stuttering in open-world games that I'm suffering when running off a 5400rpm HDD.

33 minutes ago, HotaruMio said:

yes, I removed the label to look at the chips, says NW970, and checked online to find out is a 96L NAND. Reviews online for the 2TB also listed that NAND also.

Got it. It’s a great flash although new revisions use newer flash.

I'm interested on MSI M390 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 - SSD 1TB with Phison E15T controller, but cannot find it on the tier list. Anyone can help me with its tier or general performance? I found it on the same price with D tier SSDs, but M390 promised faster speed

51 minutes ago, tc004255 said:

I'm interested on MSI M390 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 - SSD 1TB with Phison E15T controller, but cannot find it on the tier list. Anyone can help me with its tier or general performance? I found it on the same price with D tier SSDs, but M390 promised faster speed

The M390 is a cool drive as it uses a new Phison controller (E15T, seems a cut-down E19 with Gen3 PHY - dual-core (one ARM Cortex-R5 and a CoXProcessor), four-channel, 1200 MT/s -) and the newest flash one the market (176L), but it's DRAM-less, and I think it should be Tier D (Budget).

How much is the difference between a top tier sata and top tier nvme?? E.g if we compare samsung 970 pro and 860 pro. Yes, sequential speeds are much higher which will decrease os and heavy app booting time very much, apart from that, what are other differences?

5 hours ago, ishavgupta said:

How much is the difference between a top tier sata and top tier nvme?? E.g if we compare samsung 970 pro and 860 pro. Yes, sequential speeds are much higher which will decrease os and heavy app booting time very much, apart from that, what are other differences?

Depends on the workload that you'd do with it. The OS and program booting is almost the same, but it depends on the drive. Anyway, sequential write and sequential read are not the same and even the hardware change, maybe some NVMes has a higher endurance than some SATAs, better flash, better DRAM, and so on.

Hello folks,

I'm an old man and I'm really new to this computer stuff and I'm beyond confused.

Would really appreciate if someone could point out if my Mac Mini 2011 could take a Crucial P5 Plus 500GB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD?

I heard this new M.2 format is more reliable than  which is important because I have many photographs of my grandchildren.

I did a Google and some one said they put a Crucial MX500 3D NAND SATA 2.5 " SSD into their 2014 Mac Mini, should I just this one instead?

Would really appreciate if you knowledgeable folks give me some guidance.

Thank you in advance!

53 minutes ago, Luka.jj.Kovac said:

Hello folks,

I'm an old man and I'm really new to this computer stuff and I'm beyond confused.

Would really appreciate if someone could point out if my Mac Mini 2011 could take a Crucial P5 Plus 500GB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD?

I heard this new M.2 format is more reliable than  which is important because I have many photographs of my grandchildren.

I did a Google and some one said they put a Crucial MX500 3D NAND SATA 2.5 " SSD into their 2014 Mac Mini, should I just this one instead?

Would really appreciate if you knowledgeable folks give me some guidance.

Thank you in advance!

The Mac Mini 2011 uses SATA for their hard drives. Get the MX500 SSD, it's a very solid SSD. 

NVMe m.2 is newer interface which the Mac Mini 2011 doesn't have and it's incompatible.

If it's the Mac Mini 2014, it does have a PCIe connector, but the connector is different than the ones on the P5 Plus. Mac Mini seems to use proprietary ports for specific SSDs. If you need to get a PCIe SSD, search specifically for Mac compatible PCIe SSDs.

18 hours ago, HotaruMio said:

The Mac Mini 2011 uses SATA for their hard drives. Get the MX500 SSD, it's a very solid SSD. 

reply.

NVMe m.2 is newer interface which the Mac Mini 2011 doesn't have and it's incompatible.

If it's the Mac Mini 2014, it does have a PCIe connector, but the connector is different than the ones on the P5 Plus. Mac Mini seems to use proprietary ports for specific SSDs. If you need to get a PCIe SSD, search specifically for Mac compatible PCIe SSDs.

Hello Hotaru,

Thank you so much for your reply. Really appreciate it. Just a couple questions if I may:

1) Can you please advise if this is the SSD you were referring to      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078211KBB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1     ( Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1 )

2) Out of curiosity, would you not be able to get one of those conversion cables that could exchange SATA to the NVMe M.2 format? Or would the use of conversion cable negate the increase in speed one would get from the new format?

Again, thank you so much for your help Hotaru. My son is studying for his exams so I'm completely hopeless with all this tech stuffs.

3 hours ago, Luka.jj.Kovac said:

Hello Hotaru,

Thank you so much for your reply. Really appreciate it. Just a couple questions if I may:

1) Can you please advise if this is the SSD you were referring to      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078211KBB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1     ( Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1 )

2) Out of curiosity, would you not be able to get one of those conversion cables that could exchange SATA to the NVMe M.2 format? Or would the use of conversion cable negate the increase in speed one would get from the new format?

Again, thank you so much for your help Hotaru. My son is studying for his exams so I'm completely hopeless with all this tech stuffs.

Hello Luka,

1. Yes that SSD would work with your Mac Mini 2014. If you used Crucial's compatibility checker, this SSD is compatible.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/apple/mac-mini-(late-2014)#ssd

2. Yes, if you get an adapter for m.2 NVMe to SATA, it would run only on SATA3 speed, as that is the supported mode for the interface. SATA3's maximum speed is around 500-550MB/s, while NVMe can go much higher, depending on the PCIe generation and controllers.

Hope it helps, cheers.

Guys what should I buy from the following: 

-970 evo plus 1tb

-980 1tb

-aorus gen4 1tb

All are the same price, will be using on a z390 motherboard.

I'm thinking of 970 evo plus for having dram whoch 980 does not have and maybe reliability which I've heard gigabyte tends to fail often. 

What do you guys recomend? Or should I wait next year maybe samsung releases something like a 980 evo with dram. 

There also is 980 pro but is double the price which I don't think is worth it.