SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
13 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

Are you telling me that looking at benchmarks you can know the exact generation of flash that a SSD has? Wow. 

No, I'm wowwing at the fact that you're going over spec sheets instead of ACTUAL benchies of a RELEASED product.

The 990 is not the same thing as the 980, therefore you're wrong. You can't manufacture these facts without a full review, the flash alone doesn't tell jack.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

No, I'm wowwing at the fact that you're going over spec sheets instead of ACTUAL benchies of a RELEASED product.

The 990 is not the same thing as the 980, therefore you're wrong. You can't manufacture these facts without a full review, the flash alone doesn't tell jack.

I think you misunderstood the point of what I said: I simply said that the 990 PRO uses newer flash (176L or maximum 224L), I don't think that you need the review to get how the 990 PRO is better than the 980 PRO. I mean, newer flash, theoretically a newer controller, the spec sheet shows higher numbers, etc. 

By the way, 980 PRO, not 980. 😄

16 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

I think you misunderstood the point of what I said: I simply said that the 990 PRO uses newer flash (176L or maximum 224L), I don't think that you need the review to get how the 990 PRO is better than the 980 PRO. I mean, newer flash, theoretically a newer controller, the spec sheet shows higher numbers, etc. 

By the way, 980 PRO, not 980. 😄

Yeah, I shortened it... obviously I'm talking about the Pro - and yes, you do need a review. Specs show A LOT of 4k, which is doubtful. Have you seen those numbers? It's unrealistic. Even then, the M480 Play does outperform the 980 Pro and come closer to its successor most probably (check the benchies).

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

Specs show A LOT of 4k, which is doubtful

No. Manufacturers divide 4K and sequential performance among them, they don't mix them. The M480 Play outperforms the 980 PRO - as I said for all the E18 + 176L-based drives -, yes, but I don't know if it's even better than the 990 PRO, and in this case we need benchmarks to prove it. It should be worse since Samsung 176L is faster than Micron 176L, but it’s all theory. 

1 minute ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

No. Manufacturers divide 4K and sequential performance among them, they don't mix them. The M480 Play outperforms the 980 PRO - as I said for all the E18 + 176L-based drives -, yes, but I don't know if it's even better than the 990 PRO, and in this case we need benchmarks to prove it. It should be worse since Samsung 176L is faster than Micron 176L, but it’s all theory. 

I'm not talking about 4K32QD, or sequential. If you translate its strraight 4k RANDOM, it comes up competing with an Optane which is unlikely. When the 980 Pro gets like 80, the 990 is not going to get around 200. I'm not seeing that possible.

Again, manufacturers choose UNREALISTIC conditions and post the ultimate maximal numbers. It's lying and you should know it.

54 minutes ago, Motifator said:

It's lying and you should know

I know it, in fact I'm comparing the spec of the drives since there aren't 990 PRO's reviews. 

Just a tip on the Crucial P3 Plus 500gb, Its a decent lil M.2 that runs up to 5000. May have its downsides but its great for speed in a cheap build

• 1 month later...

Remember how Intel spun off its SSD division and sold it to SK Hynix?  Its finally putting out "new" products, the first one being late to the cacheless PCIE 4 party, and the second one being basically a rebranded SK Hynix P41 Platinum:

P41 Plus

• TBW: 400TB @ 1TB size
  • Sustained writes: 400MBps after cache is filled, see Tom's Hardware review
  • Controller: SMI SM2269XT
  • NAND type: 144-Layer Solidigm QLC

Since its supposed to be comparable to the Intel 670p, it might as well be in the same tier as that (Tier C).

P44 Pro

• TBW: 750TB @ 1TB size

• Sustained writes: 1768MBps after cache is filled, see TechPowerUp review

• Controller: SK hynix ACNS075 (Codename?: Aries)

• NAND type: Hynix 176-Layer 3D TLC

This has the same exact NAND and controller as the SK Hynix P41 Platinum and it shows in benchmarks.  They might as well be in the same tier.

Its as if the parent company was lending its child a fast car to give the child street cred to impress their friends even though its really the parent's car.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this list still getting maintained/updated?

PC:

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WI-FI | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070Ti OC | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz CL30 | Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold | WD Black SN850X - 1TB | Lian Li O11 Air Mini | 7x be quiet! Light Wings 3 120mm

Peripherals:

FNATIC Bolt Wireless | Corsair HS80 Wireless RGB | Epomaker TH80 w/ Gateron Pro Yellows and YMDK white backlit keycaps | Fifine K658 w/ RODE PSA1 | MSI MAG241C Curved (23.8" FHD, 144hz) | Lenovo Legion G27q-20 (27" WQHD, 165hz) | Glorious XL Extended Mousepad

Chair:

Secretlabs OMEGA (League of Legends MSI 2019 Ed.)

3 minutes ago, DarkReaper969 said:

I don't think so. The top 3 SSD's right now though are:

Samsung 990 pro > SK Hynix P41 > WD Black SN850x

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

10 minutes ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

I don't think so. The top 3 SSD's right now though are:

Sad, i like Tier lists 😄

But thanks!

PC:

ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WI-FI | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070Ti OC | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MHz CL30 | Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold | WD Black SN850X - 1TB | Lian Li O11 Air Mini | 7x be quiet! Light Wings 3 120mm

Peripherals:

FNATIC Bolt Wireless | Corsair HS80 Wireless RGB | Epomaker TH80 w/ Gateron Pro Yellows and YMDK white backlit keycaps | Fifine K658 w/ RODE PSA1 | MSI MAG241C Curved (23.8" FHD, 144hz) | Lenovo Legion G27q-20 (27" WQHD, 165hz) | Glorious XL Extended Mousepad

Chair:

Secretlabs OMEGA (League of Legends MSI 2019 Ed.)

On 10/31/2022 at 4:47 PM, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Taking into account the quality/price ratio, the 990 PRO shouldn't be in that position, it's too expensive and, more or less, it performs the same as E18 + 176L flash.

6 minutes ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

Taking into account the quality/price ratio, the 990 PRO shouldn't be in that position, it's too expensive and, more or less, it performs the same as E18 + 176L flash.

It actually gets a tiny bit spanked by my M480 Play for the price I paid towards it. Both in price and performance like I said much earlier. Check the TPU review and you'll find that it loses to the Phison on several areas.

Thing is, Phison comes up on sales much more often, and even on sales, Samsung is still overpriced. It's a bad SSD for the price, Samsung hasn't been the go-to choice ever since the dawn of the higher layer Phison sticks that had good price.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

It actually gets a tiny bit spanked by my M480 Play for the price I paid towards it. Both in price and performance like I said much earlier. Check the TPU review and you'll find that it loses to the Phison on several areas.

Thing is, Phison comes up on sales much more often, and even on sales, Samsung is still overpriced. It's a bad SSD for the price, Samsung hasn't been the go-to choice ever since the dawn of the higher layer Phison sticks that had good price.

Isn't the WD and SK Hynix Proprietary controllers better than Phison? (850x and P41) 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

On 10/31/2022 at 9:13 PM, DarkReaper969 said:

Working on it 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

14 hours ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Isn't the WD and SK Hynix Proprietary controllers better than Phison? (850x and P41) 

Not all of them, WD uses Phison on some, Hynix is proprietary - but it isn't exactly a better controller. Still falls shorter on flat out 4k32QD and such, lots of areas of speeds. Phison edges them out when you look at the whole package:

https://hothardware.com/reviews/samsung-ssd-990-pro-pcie-gen-4-review?page=1

22 hours ago, Motifator said:

I totally agree with you, that's why I said "more or less". The 990 PRO has worse performance than E18 + 176L post-SLC cache, for example (1800 MB/s vs. 1400 if I remember correctly).

20 hours ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

From an internal structure point of view it's difficult to say as there is not much information about the Aries (P41) and the G2 (SN850X, I guess the model it's the same as the SN850, it just has an updated firmware), but I think the E18 is still better. About the Aries and G2 we only know that they are multi-core ARM with 8 channels. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back to SATA drives. WD "updated" the Blue series. It's called SA510 now and it's crap. Gone is the DRAM, piss poor NAND comes out in slow data transfers, there are also reports of high failure rate.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, penguino said:

Back to SATA drives. WD "updated" the Blue series. It's called SA510 now and it's crap. Gone is the DRAM, piss poor NAND comes out in slow data transfers, there are also reports of high failure rate.

Do you have any reviews?

TIER LIST UPDATED.

Apparently there is a guy who is copying this list and posting this on his website. And that too without any credits. Let me know what can be done to take his content down.

I am providing a link to his website down below

https://techwafer.com/ssd-tier-list-best-ssds-to-buy/

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

where does the WD black SN770 fit into this list? PCIE gen4, dramless. I'm considering this vs crucial P5plus, but don't know if either of these manufacturers are participating in replacing controllers or nand flash with inferior parts.

I read some opinions in reddit suggesting some models when using inferior hardware were little better than SATA SSD's. This is concerning to me when I'm not even looking at top tier NVME, is there no point in choosing mid-range NVME vs SATA SSD's due to shortages of high quality chips?

thanks.