What to Gain Moving From Windows 10 to Linux?

Let me preface this post with the fact that I am not a server admin by any means! I have grown up on Windows 7 and Windows 10 and most definitely feel at home there. I have some experience with Linux, but not a whole lot.

I currently have a server rig running on just a Windows 10 Pro install. I use it for various game servers, a NextCloud VM, and an Emby server. I installed Windows 10 on the machine because I had a USB of it lying around and its what I am most comfortable with. However, I've noticed that for things like NextCloud and Collabora and various other things, I need to be in a Linux environment. Additionally, I've wanted to put the the six 4TB drives that I have into a RAID so everything is done properly. The biggest reason I am considering switching to a Linux distro is to eliminate the use of Virtual Machines through VirtualBox, but, am I really losing anything by going this route now? I haven't experience any issues so far, but I know there's also a lot that I am blind to when it comes to servers and virtualization. Is it worth all the hassle or should I just be happy with what I have now?

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

Well whats worse? 

Running on your current problem free (as youve mentioned) windows environment. Or gaining more options on linux with the possibility of having problems.

Your choice simplified is windows for familiarity and reliability issue wise. Or linux for a wider range of options with less familiarity and the possibility of issues

You can get a lot lower OS memory usage on Linux provided you stick to CLI or a lightweight desktop environment (read GUI). Ubuntu Server (which is CLI) uses a little more than 100MB of memory without any additional services installed if I remember correctly.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

14 hours ago, emosun said:

Well whats worse? 

Running on your current problem free (as youve mentioned) windows environment. Or gaining more options on linux with the possibility of having problems.

Your choice simplified is windows for familiarity and reliability issue wise. Or linux for a wider range of options with less familiarity and the possibility of issues

I guess I might as well just stick with Windows then. Am I bringing in any added risk sticking NextCloud into a VM?

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

you could create a new machine using Hyper-V and install something like Ubuntu-Server or Centos, both are easy to install a bootable thumb drive using Rufus from an ISO image and install on your virtual machine,, then you can try before you buy, lol  the bonus thing about these is that they are free, windows licensing is way too expensive.