I have heard a lot of confusion with ram and ryzen

I'm getting an r5 3600 and I've seen lots of conflicting benchmarks and points when it comes to ram , I plan on getting 3600mz but then I heard about different timings affecting performance (Linus new video) have no idea what to buy tbh

1 minute ago, Jordan_C21 said:

I plan on getting 3600mz but then I heard about different timings affecting performance

it's both, high speed and low timings affect performance. However, the most affordable 3600MHz modules still have decently low timings like CAS 15 or 16, I would say one of those kits will serve you well. If you want to spend a little extra, go for a CAS 14 kit, but only if that last little bit of performance is important to you.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

tbh it's all about low latency. You get that by having low timings for a certain frequency. It would be great to have both high frequency and low timings, but if you have to sacrifice one since that's expensive, sacrifice frequency.

You could also tune memory settings yourself so getting 3000MHz CL16 isnt as bad as it may sound, especially for the price.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Whether the preformance is worth it FOR YOUR, is different from person to person.. I like getting the absolute most out of my system so I would personally get samsung b die DDR4 at either 3200c14 or 3600c16 and overclock it to create a decent balance between frequency and timings.. 

If I was building a new Ryzen system on a budget I would aim for 3600MHz frequency for RAM. Then depending on budget I would look for the best timings that I can afford.. You have to consider the fact that you can usually lower the timings as well.. So if you get a 3600 c17/18 kit you can probably lower it to c16/17, respectively. If you want a good kit out of the box, then 3600c16/3200c14 is your answer. But you don't NEED it to achieve a good performing system that's on par with Intels best. 

If you get B Die you can safely increase the voltage up to 1.5v max and overclock the shit out of it, that even means the timings.. For Ryzen, you can overclock your frequency up to 3733MHz while retaining the 1:1 infinity fabric speed and then focus on lowering your timings.. You can even go above 3733MHz and then manually adjust the Fclk (infinity fabric speed). 

I'm still learning about all of this as well and this is just my take on it. I have seen preformance boosts by using faster RAM with lower timings. 

Ryzen calculator is one of the best and easiest tools to use when overclocking your RAM in any Ryzen build.. 

Hope this helps.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

it's both, high speed and low timings affect performance. However, the most affordable 3600MHz modules still have decently low timings like CAS 15 or 16, I would say one of those kits will serve you well. If you want to spend a little extra, go for a CAS 14 kit, but only if that last little bit of performance is important to you.

The only cas 14 kit is , 279$ that's 79 more than my CPU , and outrageous, and the only affordable is like cas 17 

Just now, Jordan_C21 said:

The only cas 14 kit is , 279$ that's 79 more than my CPU , and outrageous, and the only affordable is like cas 17 

Cas 17 really wouldn't be so bad, if you got a kit of something like Corsair vengeance LPX or g.skill Trident Z, you'll have room to improve performance a bit by reducing the timings.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Cas 17 really wouldn't be so bad, if you got a kit of something like Corsair vengeance LPX or g.skill Trident Z, you'll have room to improve performance a bit by reducing the timings.

If I got some 3200mz vengeance lpx case 16 , could I Lower the timings and OC the frequency

24 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

If I got some 3200mz vengeance lpx case 16 , could I Lower the timings and OC the frequency

Yeah that would also work out for you pretty well.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah that would also work out for you pretty well.

Ik you can't tell me for sure but is it pretty reliable when it comes to overclocking ram, what speeds would u personally be confident in achieving 

10 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

Ik you can't tell me for sure but is it pretty reliable when it comes to overclocking ram, what speeds would u personally be confident in achieving 

Well there's always silicon lottery, and I'm not so experienced in ram OC myself so I'm not certain 

Primary PC:

I have a 16GB CL18 kit of Corsair LPX 3600MHz, which cost a whopping $85. 

It it the fastest, no. Did it work with zero effort? Yes. I assume I can tighten timings but from what I've been reading, the gains don't justify the tinkering for my needs.

In my opinion. The money spent on getting substantially faster ram, is better spent elsewhere. Go with the ''good enough'' approach, and put the money towards other components or pocket it for something else entirely.

I got myself a 3200MHZ, CL 14 kit costing me about 32% of what my 3900x cost. If i were to get the same kit with a 3600, that % would rise to 77%. At which point, i would be better off getting cheaper ram, and getting a 3700x for not that much more than the price difference between the cheap and expensive ram is.

Now that is my reasoning. For me personally. Admittedly, prices in Norway are higher than in the US, even the % difference between 3200 cl16 and 3200mhz cl14.

If you are looking for superior RAM, make sure you get ''Samsung B die'' that @ch3w2oy spoke about up above.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Here is a handy reddit post on the issue. Be sure to read it carefully, and ensure that the model number delivered to your house, match the model number advertised on the product page.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 hours ago, bimmerman said:

I have a 16GB CL18 kit of Corsair LPX 3600MHz, which cost a whopping $85. 

It it the fastest, no. Did it work with zero effort? Yes. I assume I can tighten timings but from what I've been reading, the gains don't justify the tinkering for my needs.

I was gonna buy that same kit but it's 99$ till Newegg goes in stock , u have a great point 

I have HyperX 2666 CL16 Memory and I want to upgrade to Ryzen 3600, is ok? I don't have money to spend on new Ram Kits...

On 8/9/2019 at 8:46 AM, Alexu88 said:

I have HyperX 2666 CL16 Memory and I want to upgrade to Ryzen 3600, is ok? I don't have money to spend on new Ram Kits...

try and overclock?