Windows 7 to Windows 10

Dean.P.

I am doing a new build and have Windows 7 around still, is there still a free method of upgrading to Windows 10?

21 hours ago, Dean.P. said:

I am doing a new build and have Windows 7 around still, is there still a free method of upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes. Install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 product key when asked for one.  Still works as of build 1809 of Windows 10.  Basically the Windows 10 installer will accept a Windows 8.1 or 7 key for activation.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

11 hours ago, grss1982 said:

Yes. Install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 product key when asked for one.  Still works as of build 1809 of Windows 10.  Basically the Windows 10 installer will accept a Windows 8.1 or 7 key for activation.

Cheers mate!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:34 AM, Dean.P. said:

Cheers mate!

Did this work for you?

Just checking as I am needing to upgrade for 8.1 myself.

-- I would like to remind everyone that piracy is not allowed on the forum --

On 8/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, Dean.P. said:

For retail license of Windows:

If you got in the past the Windows 10 Upgrade app, and you didn't out of your way to not have it, then your copy of Windows 10 has been reserved, and still waiting for you. Install Windows 7 on your new system, activate it, and now simply upgrade to Windows 10 by getting Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, which will download the latest version of Windows 10 and upgrade your system. Your system should be activated once you upgrade to Windows 10 and do updates.

For OEM licenses of Windows:

Your free license of Windows 10 has been reserved. Install Windows 7 on your new system, activate it, and now simply upgrade to Windows 10 by getting Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, which will download the latest version of Windows 10 and upgrade your system. Your system should be activated once you upgrade to Windows 10 and do updates.

The product key of this new Windows 10 will be stored on Microsoft servers. If you use a Microsoft linked account, it will sync with that. If you don't, then keep in mind that if you re-install Windows 10 and perform hardware upgrade at the same time (say you change your drive and add/replace a wireless card), because the activation system can only associate with your PC hardware (serial numbers, specs, etc), it may fail to activate automatically. So to avoid problem, first switch drive, re-install Windows 10 make sure it is activated and all is well, and then add/replace your wireless card.

For any other case:

- Sorry, you need to purchase Windows 10

• 4 weeks later...

A Windows 8 activation key is a 25-character code that Microsoft uses to activate your copy of Windows. If you don’t have a product key, you won’t be able to activate your operating system.

I did it on July 30th with a Dell OEM license for Windows 7 Pro and it worked. Windows version was 1903. But since then I had one OEM license not work and I could not really figure out why. But generally it should work.