Ping to SERVERS

DoZe

Hey I am from South Africa playing fortnite.

Since we dont have south african servers we play on eu servers were we get about 190ping to but sometimes for a week i get 150 to 160 ping until the router is restarted or something and I wanted to ask if there is a way that i can make the router to instantly try to connect to the servers and not rerouting through other servers first so that i get 150 ping again which makes a big difference.

Thank you very much!

Well, there's an issue here. Short answer. There's not a lot you can do here but physically move closer to the server.

The issue is the Internet is governed under a system where your requests will take the fastest path at a given time for a given system load. If the servers you bounce though aren't particularly busy you'll have a lower ping but you can't skip these servers. At least not while you're just a consumer of an ISP. Your connection doesn't always take the same path to reach the destination either so depending on the infrastructure this can be bad for delay sensitive traffic. This plus time of day for where you live (if it's heavily populated) can cause your ping to increase.

If you know the name of the EU server you're connecting to you can look at how many network hops it takes to get there by using tracert

tracert X.X.X.X

or

tracert www.website.com

Here's an example of me tracing to Google.

Screenshot_1.png.28b60a2db7e39e27430f60dcfd6eda07.png

If there's any tunnels like GRE or other this won't make them visible so some hops are transparent. You can't see them but this will give you a general idea of where your connection is going to reach your game server. This can change one day to the next if a faster connection is found.

About as much as you can do is two things:

1. Make sure you have a 1ms ping to your router (wired Ethernet)
  2. Consider switching ISP's if any others are available.