SeaSonic S12 500W PSU for 2600x and 2060?

TheFriendlyHacker

I'm planning on building a new mid-tower to throw a Ryzen 5 2600x and RTX 2060 into. I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible without using parts that are low-end/prone to problems. 

Do you suppose that a 500W SeaSonic S12 power supply would be an acceptable choice? In terms of wattage, it seems fine. But what's your opinion on this line of PSU? Think it'll have problems down the line?

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

Idd not recommend this unit! Take a look here:

It falls in the C category, wich is to be frank... not to be recommended. Especially with a nice Ryzen and a 2060. So yes... problems down the line could occur!

Recommendation: Go up to tier B and pick whatever is cheap in your region! Wattage is fine for what you're doing.

BTW: Get a Radeon 5700 its cheaper at the same or a little more perf.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Vejnemojnen said:

Bitfenix formula gold costs roughly 70USD, 550 watt, gold.. 

yes for example this one :)

get psu watt that when u game its under around 50% load, best efficiency that way

with 2060, n 2600x i think its with a 600watt psu ( i think that system will draw 300watt under load +- )

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

It falls in the C category, wich is to be frank... not to be recommended. Especially with a nice Ryzen and a 2060. So yes... problems down the line could occur!

Recommendation: Go up to tier B and pick whatever is cheap in your region! Wattage is fine for what you're doing.

BTW: Get a 5700 its cheaper at the same or a little more perf.

Tier list can be misleading, tiers are far too broad , for example much higher quality cx is placed with cxm... and G1+/GQ/pure power 10/11 acrf units are above CX and in same tier as pretty high quality G2 , what a joke..

@Mettallicus Thanks for the info! Although I do wonder how likely the SeaSonic PSU is to experience issues if I'm not constantly gaming on / stressing it. 

@Valkyrie Lenneth I do agree with that, but I don't have the budget to get a PSU that's double what I actually need. 

The reason I'm building this PC is somewhat complicated. But in short, it won't be subjected to heavy loads very often, but I do want it to be able to run games/other intensive processes from time to time. So I'm looking for something that's cheap (but not crap), and will be reliable under fairly light loads and occasional heavy-ish loads (gaming). I'm going to be taking the Ryzen 2600x out of another PC I currently have, so that cost is fortunately out of the question (as I said, it's a somewhat complicated situation haha)

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Tier list can be misleading, tiers are far too broad , for example much higher quality cx is placed with cxm... and G1+/GQ/pure power 10/11 acrf units are above CX and in same tier as pretty high quality G2 , what a joke..

bruh... CX is marginally better topology than CXM. But sure it is not perfect but the best I know. Ans still: S12 is shiiiizzz :P

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

get psu watt that when u game its under around 50% load, best efficiency that way

with 2060, n 2600x i think its with a 600watt psu ( i think that system will draw 300watt under load +- )

I can see now why Jon left the forums , when misleading crap like this gets posted as "advice" on here... 

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8y

Efficiency barely changes , after around 10% load..

1 minute ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

@Mettallicus Thanks for the info! Although I do wonder how likely the SeaSonic PSU is to experience issues if I'm not constantly gaming on / stressing it. 

@Valkyrie Lenneth I do agree with that, but I don't have the budget to get a PSU that's double what I actually need. 

The reason I'm building this PC is somewhat complicated. But in short, it won't be subjected to heavy loads very often, but I do want it to be able to run games/other intensive processes from time to time. So I'm looking for something that's cheap (but not crap), and will be reliable under fairly light loads and occasional heavy-ish loads (gaming). I'm going to be taking the Ryzen 2600x out of another PC I currently have, so that cost is fortunately out of the question (as I said, it's a somewhat complicated situation haha)

lol, that's not me :P

Ok, understod. In my opinion you can load a PSU to 80% no problem. therefore 450 or 500W is fine for you

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

I can see now why Jon left the forums , when misleading crap like this gets posted as "advice" on here... 

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8y

650w-efficiency.png

50% load is the most common efficiency in psus

(◑‿◐)

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

This is only... ok new post... he is right:

3 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

It DEPOENDS on the unit. But most behave like depicted here. But still it changes. In money/energy sensitive situations it is worth considdering

BUT that's not the topic here. We simply need a decent PSU with 450-500W wich is relatively cheap. Therefore buy something for tier B or A (if you can get a nice deal)

7 minutes ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

If you want a crappy PSU, get the cheapest one. Why pay more to get a specific crappy PSU? If you want a cheap and somewhat decent one, check out the System Power 9 400W, Pure Power 11 400W, CX450/M, and Vengeance.

:)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

650w-efficiency.png

50% load is the most common efficiency in psus

Go look at any Tom's Hardware PSU efficiency graph and tell me that. The efficiency barely changes beyond a few percentage points which wont add up to anything significant .. After 10% load that is. Even on outdated double forward units , like the CXM it still doesnt change that much

@seon123 Well when you put it that way lol. 

I'll actually look into some of the "B Tier" PSU's that people have suggested here. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll need more than 400 watts haha

I'll actually look into some of the "B Tier" PSU's that people have suggested here. Although, I'm pretty sure I'll need more than 400 watts haha

350W is enough lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Why do you think you'll need more than 400W for a PC that uses about 200-250W at most? 

:)

@seon123 200-250 for a Ryzen 2600X and RTX 2060? Eh...that seems like it's pushing it a bit too much 

@LienusLateTips I figure I can get away with 350W. But I don't want to push it to the bleeding edge per se. I was actually initially considering going with a SeaSonic 450W (still an S12, like the 500W), and in all reality, that should work as well. And the quality between the S12 450 and 500W are basically the same, only the 500W model costs ~$7(usd) more on Amazon lol

Just now, TheFriendlyHacker said:

@LienusLateTips I figure I can get away with 350W. But I don't want to push it to the bleeding edge per se. I was actually initially considering going with a SeaSonic 450W (still an S12, like the 500W), and in all reality, that should work as well. And the quality between the S12 450 and 500W are basically the same, only the 500W model costs ~$7(usd) more on Amazon lol

Stop considering the S12 line. The entire line is shit. Go for a CX450, it's $45 ffs

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, TheFriendlyHacker said:

u cant because it wont deliver enough amps on the 12v rail probably

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

@seon123 200-250 for a Ryzen 2600X and RTX 2060? Eh...that seems like it's pushing it a bit too much 

No, that's completely normal volume. You can run a overclocked 8700K and Vega 64 on a 450W.....

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

In my mind you should pick up a 

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

Stop considering the S12 line. The entire line is shit. Go for a CX450, it's $45 ffs

Yeh, there is a bit of backslash against the CX line due to being double forward. But I also think its ok especially at the price! 

Another nice option is MWE Bronze

ALTHOUGH I am corsair fan and always have used thier PSUs. Never build or sold a system without Corsair PSU :D

@LienusLateTips I'm not able to find a CX450 for less than $55 (at least - most listings with guaranteed new ones are closer to $99). If you've got a place that sells them for $45 n good condition, link me - because I'll buy that in a heartbeat!

Or am I just bad at searching for these things at reasonable prices?

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Yeh, there is a bit of backslash against the CX line due to being double forward. But I also think its ok especially at the price! 

Another nice option is MWE Bronze

ALTHOUGH I am corsair fan and always have used thier PSUs. Never build or sold a system without Corsair PSU :D

CX is Half Bridge.

CXM is double forward.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop