Worth getting a NVME when I have a MX500 SATA SSD?

grangervoldemort

I have a Crucial MX500 as my OS drive. Should I get a NVME for my new build (building a new AMD build (first time using a AMD CPU!)? I read there is almost no speed diff between a SATA SSD and NVME M.2?

I will want to edit videos from a SSD, so should I have a different SSD/NVME for the OS and a diff one for editing videos or is it ok to just edit from my MX500 if it isn't worth buying a NVME?

Also why on earth is the Evo Pro over £100 more than the Evo?! Both are 1TB.

And why is the Evo £34 more than the Crucial when they are the same speed and size? Is there much of a diff between what is written - TLC vs MLC?

2019-08-03 06_00_34-Window.jpg

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

if you want to buy a new ssd, go for nvme

the day to day use is not different, both feel the same, same for gaming

the difference on can be appreciated when working with very bog files, copying, creating and reading those files, but on random read like loading windows or most games it feels the same

if the price is right and you want to have a nvme, go for it, otherwise go for a ssd

20 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the day to day use is not different, both feel the same, same for gaming

the difference on can be appreciated when working with very bog files, copying, creating and reading those files, but on random read like loading windows or most games it feels the same

if the price is right and you want to have a nvme, go for it, otherwise go for a ssd

Rad what I wrote again. Your answer makes no sense given what I have written. READ before replying.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

6 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

Rad what I wrote again. Your answer makes no sense given what I have written. READ before replying.

i wrote that if you have a ssd and you move to a nvme the speed difference is not that big, only wjent using lots of big files, if you didnt understood that, well, sorry, but if you like you could wait to see if someone else wants to write another reply

7 hours ago, goto10 said:

I didn't say I want to buy a SSD. Please read my OP as I said before.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

4 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I didn't say I want to buy a SSD. Please read my OP as I said before.

ssd as in nvme ssd, the term has you confused, ssd in sata form and in nvme is the same, the difference is one uses sata and the other uses pci express, pci express is faster than sata but basically both are solid state drives or ssd

at the moment exist m.2 sata ssd, nvme m.2 ssd, pci express ssd and sata ssd

all of the are ssd,cyou thonk on ssd as on the old sata, but sata is just a shape of a connector with a transfer protocol, nvme is another protocol using pci express via m.2 connector or pci express connector

Just now, goto10 said:

ssd as in nvme ssd, the term has you confused, ssd in sat form and in nvme is the same, the difference is one uses sata and the other uses pci express, pci express is faster than sata but basically both are slid state drives or ssd

8 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I will want to edit videos from a SSD, so should I have a different SSD/NVME for the OS and a diff one for editing videos or is it ok to just edit from my MX500 if it isn't worth buying a NVME?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

most video editors have multiple nvme or sss, on one you have the programs and windows, on other you have the project, sometimes you have in another extra material you might need

some even have a fourth ssd or nvme for the final product to be stored and rendered, your needs and you budget determines how many you buy, but yes, 2 would be nice

36 minutes ago, goto10 said:

Snip

But surely having an NVME is only going to be useful if I had other SSD's/NVME's to transfer from? Transferring videos to and from NVME and hard drives is going to be restricted due to the hard drive?

Why is it not ok for me to use my current SSD which is 500GB for OS, some programs (games will go on HDD), AND temporary video editing files. By that I mean I would transfer the data I am using for my video project to the SSD, edit, export to the SSD, upload, and transfer the new edited video to the HDD.
Would the SSD wear out fast? Is that the issue?
I am starting a YouTube channel, so daily uploads. Nothing super pro level like clients and film making.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

a hard drive restricts everything, at best the fastest hard disk does 200 mbs 

the slowest ssd does 400mbs more or less

the slowest nvme does around 1500

you do what you feel is best

you asked if it was better a nvme, in general is the same for daily use and games when compared to a ssd

sata ssd is being replaced by nvme, in ports on the motherboard, speed and price

if you find a good deal on a sata ssd go for it, if you find a deal on a nvme, go for that one

the wear of a nvme or a ssd is measured in years for most of us, you would need to copy and delete many terabytes of files daily for months before reaching half of the life it is supposed to have one of these ssds

most units are meant to do 30 terabytes, other 40, bigger ones can do 300 terabytes

only video editors editing lots of videos daily can kill a ssd in 1 year, perhaps linus media group could give us some numbers here, which ssds editors like taran have killed by just using it to the limit, iirc they have almost 10 editors with workstations, surely with those red 8k cameras would impact those ssds and nvmes

21 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

I have a Crucial MX500 as my OS drive. Should I get a NVME for my new build (building a new AMD build (first time using a AMD CPU!)? I read there is almost no speed diff between a SATA SSD and NVME M.2?

Also why on earth is the Evo Pro over £100 more than the Evo?! Both are 1TB.

And why is the Evo £34 more than the Crucial when they are the same speed and size? Is there much of a diff between what is written - TLC vs MLC?

2019-08-03 06_00_34-Window.jpg

there is a significant speed difference, over r+w 3500/3000 on some nvm pcie drives.

as you know editing videos is significantly disk intensive of course you will notice an improvement.

sata ssds were restricted by the sata 3.0 port which topped out at 6 GBps. the new pcie is significantly faster.

yes you are correct you should consider your workflows,

1) ssd for os, can be sata

2) pcie nvm for working data (data that you are actively editing)

3) sata disks for archival (storage rarely accessed)

hope that helps

4 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

1) ssd for os, can be sata

2) pcie nvm for working data (data that you are actively editing)

3) sata disks for archival (storage rarely accessed)

This. 100% all of this. It's all the info you need 

The Samsung 860 pro is more expensive because it's a ''pro edition''. The regular version is rated at 600TB write before failure, while the pro version is rated at 1200TB write before failure. In essence, the drive is expected to fail after a certain amount of data has been written on it. 600TB is good for 320GB every single day for 5 years. Hence, the 1200TB version is called ''pro''.

The MX500 utilize TLC NAND, it's slightly less performance than MLC. But the endurance is significantly worse. The MX500 has a 360TB endurance, or 197GB per day for 5 years. For a gamer, there really is no issue getting the MX500.

I got myself a Corsair MP510 1TB recently, as it was on sale due to the incoming PCI-E 4 SSDs.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/960gb-corsair-mp510-m2-2280-pcie-30-x4-nvme-13-ssd3480mb-s-read3000mb-s-write-610k-570k-iops

It sits between the MX500 and the Samsung 860 Evo in price. But it blows them both out of the water in performance and endurance. Boasting 1700TB endurance rating, or about 930GB per day for 5 years.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 hours ago, tech.guru said:

Snip

Thank you

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

The Samsung 860 pro is more expensive because it's a ''pro edition''. The regular version is rated at 600TB write before failure, while the pro version is rated at 1200TB write before failure. In essence, the drive is expected to fail after a certain amount of data has been written on it. 600TB is good for 320GB every single day for 5 years. Hence, the 1200TB version is called ''pro''.

The MX500 utilize TLC NAND, it's slightly less performance than MLC. But the endurance is significantly worse. The MX500 has a 360TB endurance, or 197GB per day for 5 years. For a gamer, there really is no issue getting the MX500.

So I should have bought the regular Evo then huh considering it lasts longer....? Looks much nicer too than the garish silver/blue of the crucial.

Should I get a PCIE 4 SSD or NVME? My new build will be a X570 board. But I see that PCIE 4 runs HOT. That means more money for the electricity bill, a hotter room and more noise.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

The 860 Pro has hardware encryption, some datacenter features and slightly higher speeds. Not practical or important for normal use.

The MX500 uses TLC instead of MLC in the 860 Evo. In short, MLC can remember two bits per cell, TLC can remember three bits. That makes TLC cheaper, the same amount of chips can hold more storage. It does make it slower and less reliable, which explains the numbers we have.

You are always limited to the slowest factor in the system with any action. So if you're copying large files from a fast disk to a slow disk, it will only go at the speed of the slow disk.

When video editing though, your disk will also write to the system memory, which is much faster than any other traditional storage means.

This test in Adobe Premiere from Puget Systems kind of shows a but what I mean: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2017-Disk-Cache-Performance-Analysis-874/

They test a regular HDD, SATA SSD, PCIE SSD and an NVME M.2 SSD.

Depending on the use case, the SSD's are either basically all the same speed, or some are marginally faster.

These are not drastic speed increases though and the added cost of the NVME SSD could also be put towards a higher capacity SATa SSD, which often makes sense with the size of the 'optimized media' used by these video editing programs

It's difficult to say what the right option would be. The MX500 in the real world has such similar performance the Samsung, that - added with its price - the Crucial does make a lot of sense.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

So I should have bought the regular Evo then huh considering it lasts longer....? Looks much nicer too than the garish silver/blue of the crucial.

Should I get a PCIE 4 SSD or NVME? My new build will be a X570 board. But I see that PCIE 4 runs HOT. That means more money for the electricity bill, a hotter room and more noise.

Not sure you read what i said correctly. Even if you intentionally attempted to write your MX500 to death, it would take you about 200 hours of continuous non-stop writing to do so. The rated endurance is much more than any gamer will need. The added endurance is NOT worth the 30% price premium.

I don't know much about X570 chipset running hot due to PCI-E 4 utilization.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

Not sure you read what i said correctly. Even if you intentionally attempted to write your MX500 to death, it would take you about 200 hours of continuous non-stop writing to do so. The rated endurance is much more than any gamer will need. The added endurance is NOT worth the 30% price premium.

I don't know much about X570 chipset running hot due to PCI-E 4 utilization.

I game sometimes. I am starting a YouTube channel. So video editing is what will be chewing into the drive IF I were to use the MX500; BUT it seems based on the other reply I should get a NVME and offload videos from the hard drive that I want to edit there, edit, upload, then save the edited file back to the hard drive where the original footage already resides.

Thus making the MX500 usable for anything.

Yeah you should research about it if you're interested. PCIE 4.0 on the X570 runs HOT. M.2 runs so hot it needs a fat heatsink.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD