Computer freezes randomly. (Win 64bit)

LastNickLeft

Over the last 2-3 weeks my computer have been freezing randomly, sometimes during a game and sometimes just while watching YouTube. I have not installed any new drivers or devices when it started happening and it still baffles me. I'm unable to replicate the crash and it's just random. Windows 10 Pro 64bit latest update. 

It's difficult for me to figure out what it is as I'm unable to replicate this...

Hardware - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18685688

PSU - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FNCAPJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard - MSI Z370 Pro Carbon

Things I have tried so far - in order

• Removed drives one by one and tested running just on the M.2 drive
  • Reverted all overlocks (CPU and GPU)
  • Disabled XMP
  • Reseted BIOS to factory settings
  • Ran Malwarebytes and Defender scans
  • Updated all drivers
  • Formatted all drives

Once I went through that I've proceeded to

• Reinstall Windows 10 Pro 
  • Tested the system with GTX 1080 instead of GTX 1070, still the same issue
  • Removed GPU and tried connecting a different power supply running on the integrated graphics card. There was a crash but not exactly the same as the freeze, the screen went all pixelated and wierd. I switched the system off.
  • Done memory diagnostics (no errors)

Temps I managed to see one time it froze (Couldn't take a screenshot obviously)

KOVJlhv.jpg

Event Viewer doesn't show anything interesting besides Critical (System has rebooted).

Here is a video, it doesn't always make this noise, it's coming out of the speakers as I was watching a video.

Would appreciate any help, I'm a bit desperate. Thank you!

Have you tried doing a BIOS update? if the date in that userbenchmark is accurate, your board is still on it's release BIOS or maybe one patch newer.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Have you tried doing a BIOS update? if the date in that userbenchmark is accurate, your board is still on it's release BIOS or maybe one patch newer.

Just checked their site and there is a new bios update,  will do it once I get home from work. Do you think it could be related? I haven't installed any new hardware or anything that would cause the freezing recently? Will test and get back. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, LastNickLeft said:

Just checked their site and there is a new bios update,  will do it once I get home from work. Do you think it could be related? I haven't installed any new hardware or anything that would cause the freezing recently? Will test and get back. Thanks!

Sometimes when all else fails, a BIOS update can improve stability. Otherwise, I'd start seriously diagnosing hardware like RAM (memtest86+), CPU (prime95/wprime) and GPU (furmark/unigine/3dmark loops) and even a combination of CPU+GPU to hit the power supply.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 hours ago, LastNickLeft said:

Hey let us know if this works. I'm experiencing crashing as well although I'm on Ryzen and there are apparently AMD specific issues with Windows 1903. It honestly could just be this d*mn update. You can try installing 1803 and see if it's more stable as well.

I have updated my bios to 20190403, but it still kept feezing. I've removed two RAM sticks (I bought these about two months ago) and tried to run it at 16GB RAM and it still keeps crashing. I have replaced the GPU for GTX 1080 and it still keeps crashing.

I've ordered a power supply from Amazon so I will test that tonight. (EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 650W)

I have replaced the PSU for the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+. The system still keeps crashing. @Theburninbeaver @NelizMastr

Now it can either be some weird Windows bug in the latest update, doubt it as I've reinstalled Windows.. but since it reinstalled to the same update version..  who knows.. I've seen a question at ten forums from 20th of June, someone with the same update has his computer freezing periodically.

Or it can be a motherboard or the cpu. I'm really sick and tired of taking the computer apart now ??

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/135153-just-upgraded-18362-its-freezing-periodically.html
image.png.a9dfe54fda876b24c4bdbf4b2a1182f4.png

21 hours ago, BigBlackRat said:

Have you tested it without the m.2 drive??? Try a live version of linux!! 

Doing that now, will post an update. Just to be sure I've unplugged all existing drives and installing Ubuntu on a small SSD to test it.

15649568819544899824247748812290.jpg

6 hours ago, LastNickLeft said:

Just experienced the same freeze running Ubuntu.

Then software is ruled out as the cause. I'm thinking you may have a dud CPU.

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Then software is ruled out as the cause. I'm thinking you may have a dud CPU.

Don't want to celebrate early, but had no crash yesterday for over 4 hours with only one 8GB RAM stick in! I'm adding more and now I just need to wait and see.

1 hour ago, LastNickLeft said:

Don't want to celebrate early, but had no crash yesterday for over 4 hours with only one 8GB RAM stick in! I'm adding more and now I just need to wait and see.

Could very well be broken or unstable memory then. That'd be the best outcome here.

5 hours ago, LastNickLeft said:

Do you have any memory overclocks on?

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

41 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

Do you have any memory overclocks on?

No, I've removed all overclocks and disabled XMP.

Now running with only two RAMs in it haven't crashed for almost 6 hours now. Now I just need to figure out which DIMM is faulty or if both of them are.

4 hours ago, LastNickLeft said:

No, I've removed all overclocks and disabled XMP.

Now running with only two RAMs in it haven't crashed for almost 6 hours now. Now I just need to figure out which DIMM is faulty or if both of them are.

Yeah so now it's a matter of is the memory bad or the dimm slots on the motherboard. I think my issue was resolved with the newest Chipset update that I missed (3 days stable). Good luck!

It's either two of my RAM sticks or two slots on the motherboard. I reckon the second option is more likely.

Running two dimms on 2 and 4 slots works.

Adding another dimm on slot 1 and system crashes

Adding a different dimm on slot 1 system crashes. 

Same thing for slot 3..

It is the motherboard, system doesn't crash with any of the RAM sticks as long as they are in slot 1 and 3