DIY Yagi Antennae for a fixed 4G home Internet Setup?

Shiz0id

For the past two years or so, I've been using AT&T's Buyasession Prepaid plan as our households home internet, being in the boonies, Dialup was our only other option. All this currently runs off a Nighthawk M1 Hotspot, the best I could get when it came out.

Recently AT&T took the closest tower offline permanently, Leaving us connected to a Band 2 tower than has an average of 120dBm. The speeds are fine, but the ping can spike terribly and the connection drops in anything other than perfect weather.

I've been looking into solutions, but the Antennae options seem terribly overpriced for what seems to be a fairly straightforward DIY project, as long as you're willing to get down and dirty with the math. Is there anyone else that has had to deal with my situation? Some advice in general would be welcome.

-Thanks,

Ron

20 hours ago, Shiz0id said:

For the past two years or so, I've been using AT&T's Buyasession Prepaid plan as our households home internet, being in the boonies, Dialup was our only other option. All this currently runs off a Nighthawk M1 Hotspot, the best I could get when it came out.

Recently AT&T took the closest tower offline permanently, Leaving us connected to a Band 2 tower than has an average of 120dBm. The speeds are fine, but the ping can spike terribly and the connection drops in anything other than perfect weather.

I've been looking into solutions, but the Antennae options seem terribly overpriced for what seems to be a fairly straightforward DIY project, as long as you're willing to get down and dirty with the math. Is there anyone else that has had to deal with my situation? Some advice in general would be welcome.

-Thanks,

Ron

I did a Google search and there are DIY Yagi 4G antennas. The issue is I could not find info on one for band 2. The only design I found was for Band 2, but had it labeled as 3G. Not sure if the signals would be different. https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/homemade_yagi thats where I found the info.  Might even be worth testing out if it doesnt cost too much money. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.