Now I understand why I never went to AMD

18 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

So I’m guessing that bios update that I was talking about never helped because yesterday my computer was doing the same thing but mines an X470 Aorus Gaming 7 And with the new bios the F 40 it keeps resetting my ram but if I going to the bios it shows my XMP still on.   So I just manually inputted my 3000 MHz. I think it’s the bio so don’t worry about it till the update another bios, or downgrade the bios to one of the F30’s

Hey my friend we havent done the BIOS upgarde yet,, after I saw it says you have to do this and that, and install earlier BIOS then go to newest one, and have to use firmware update tool ya know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

I would say by and large, it has a lot to do with the fact that we are basically still on Skylake, so Intel has essentially just had more time for motherboard manufacturers and other hardware drivers to mature.

Ya, I was going to say something like that too. Intel really hasn't released anything groundbreaking lately so they haven't had to deal with some of the same issues in a while. I didn't want to start some kind of fanboy flame war though lol.

Me personally though I just haven't had the issues some are talking about, even with my new 3600. I put it together used compatible parts, set the defaults, updated the drivers and tweaked windows and it worked. My voltages are not crazy, my ram works fine and my temps are fine. Better than my 1500x was in fact. And while I havn't  built a ton of systems I have built my share over the years and didn't really have any issues with them either. If I did it was like I mentioned before, a defective part, it happens, or I did something stupid. That happens more than I would like lol.

As for all these voltage, idle and heat issues people are having something screwy is going on there, but I don't thinks its as crazy or devious as people think it is. If it was a serious coding issue by AMD or really messed up bios by board manufactures it would be way more wide spread, and it isn't. Sure you see a lot of people compaining on various forums about stuff being off or odd, but what about the thousands of people that are not having any issues? It seems like a lot on the surface, but when you compare it the number of sales it is a very small fraction. Yes one company, I think it was asus? released some boards with some crazy messsed up bios settings with voltages that were way too high. I am sure they have fixed that by now though, and that was on them not AMD. I think some of the issues we are seeing are from possibly inacurate software and sensors and not understanding fully how the processors work. And/or something might be in the background on their systems keeping them from idling properly. If it was a coding or general bios issue every single system would be doing it, and that isn't happening.

In the OP's case, I think he has a deffective part quite honestly. He has tried a lot of things and none of them worked so it makes me think either the ram is defective, the programming on the ram is bad or its a defect in the motherboard.

2 minutes ago, paulmohr said:

Ya, I was going to say something like that too. Intel really hasn't released anything groundbreaking lately so they haven't had to deal with some of the same issues in a while. I didn't want to start some kind of fanboy flame war though lol.

Me personally though I just haven't had the issues some are talking about, even with my new 3600. I put it together used compatible parts, set the defaults, updated the drivers and tweaked windows and it worked. My voltages are not crazy, my ram works fine and my temps are fine. Better than my 1500x was in fact. And while I havn't  built a ton of systems I have built my share over the years and didn't really have any issues with them either. If I did it was like I mentioned before, a defective part, it happens, or I did something stupid. That happens more than I would like lol.

As for all these voltage, idle and heat issues people are having something screwy is going on there, but I don't thinks its as crazy or devious as people think it is. If it was a serious coding issue by AMD or really messed up bios by board manufactures it would be way more wide spread, and it isn't. Sure you see a lot of people compaining on various forums about stuff being off or odd, but what about the thousands of people that are not having any issues? It seems like a lot on the surface, but when you compare it the number of sales it is a very small fraction. Yes one company, I think it was asus? released some boards with some crazy messsed up bios settings with voltages that were way too high. I am sure they have fixed that by now though, and that was on them not AMD. I think some of the issues we are seeing are from possibly inacurate software and sensors and not understanding fully how the processors work. And/or something might be in the background on their systems keeping them from idling properly. If it was a coding or general bios issue every single system would be doing it, and that isn't happening.

In the OP's case, I think he has a deffective part quite honestly. He has tried a lot of things and none of them worked so it makes me think either the ram is defective, the programming on the ram is bad or its a defect in the motherboard.

Ouch paulmohr I didn't want it to come to this where it is defective.  Yikes.  Do you recommend I just flash the BIOS or is that a waste of time.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

j i have the same modo as you and i had this problem to it needed a new bios and i needed to manually set he speed 

28 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Ouch paulmohr I didn't want it to come to this where it is defective.  Yikes.  Do you recommend I just flash the BIOS or is that a waste of time.

Anything is worth a shot I guess. Its not that hard to do really. You said something earlier about this stuff you had to do to flash the bios, I don't get that. You should just be able to put the bios on a thumb drive and then select the update section on your current bios and let it go. I have no idea why it has to be so complicated. Then again since you are actually trying to fix a problem I guess I would do it exactly how they suggest just to rule that out of the equation.

After that I would be trying different ram. Does your friend live near you at all? Maybe you could try some of your ram and see what it does? I honestly would have given up LONG ago, ram speed just isn't that important to me lol. I either would have lived with what I could get or returned the ram and got something different. I mean other than that it sounds like it works just fine.

And if you return the ram to get something else I would be on the phone with the board manufacturer telling them the issues I am having and tell them to suggest some ram they know will correctly. And if it didn't I would let them know and tell them to find a solution.

4 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

If you havent flashed the BIOS. Then do that. 

Its been one of the first steps in memmory troubleshooting

3 hours ago, paulmohr said:

Anything is worth a shot I guess. Its not that hard to do really. You said something earlier about this stuff you had to do to flash the bios, I don't get that. You should just be able to put the bios on a thumb drive and then select the update section on your current bios and let it go. I have no idea why it has to be so complicated. Then again since you are actually trying to fix a problem I guess I would do it exactly how they suggest just to rule that out of the equation.

After that I would be trying different ram. Does your friend live near you at all? Maybe you could try some of your ram and see what it does? I honestly would have given up LONG ago, ram speed just isn't that important to me lol. I either would have lived with what I could get or returned the ram and got something different. I mean other than that it sounds like it works just fine.

And if you return the ram to get something else I would be on the phone with the board manufacturer telling them the issues I am having and tell them to suggest some ram they know will correctly. And if it didn't I would let them know and tell them to find a solution.

Good news.  We flashed the Bios to F31 then F40 then F41 and that dd it.  Ok AMD is cool now lol!

Ok, so its possible the bios got corrupted or something during the download or original flashing. Glad to hear its finally working and that I was wrong about it being bad ram. But I was right, it was a defective bios. So it had nothing to do with the AMD processor, AMD's coding or the or the actual bios design.