Good alternative for UnRAID?

Hi there! I was wondering if there was a good alternative for unRAID since I wish to use my extra system power for a small (file) server, I have tried a lot of different things but unRAID still seems the best option out there, but I just don't have the budget to buy a license. Is there any free operating system out there that does the same as unRAID?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

What OS are you running? Can you just set up Windows Storage Spaces and map it as a network drive on other machines you want to have access to that data?

That's what I intend to do in the near future.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Just now, Mr.Humble said:

What OS are you running? Can you just set up Windows Storage Spaces and map it as a network drive on other machines you want to have access to that data?

That's what I intend to do in the near future.

I'm currently running Windows 10 but I need to run certain features that just aren't availible on Windows.

Thanks for your reply!

It depends on your hardware and what you want out of the product, like Mr. Humble say's Storage spaces might work just fine. If you want to go zfs route you are looking at FreeNas/nas4free/bare OS with zfs. You will need to post more info on the hardware you want to run it on.

Just now, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

I'm currently running Windows 10 but I need to run certain features that just aren't availible on Windows.

Thanks for your reply!

What features do you have in mind? Can you be more specific please? :)

What is your current system? How many drives do you (want to) use for this file server? What configuration do you want in terms of redundancy? You say you don't have a budget for the unRAID license, but what is your budget?

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

9 minutes ago, NoxOps said:

It depends on your hardware and what you want out of the product, like Mr. Humble say's Storage spaces might work just fine. If you want to go zfs route you are looking at FreeNas/nas4free/bare OS with zfs. You will need to post more info on the hardware you want to run it on.

Do the OSes you recommended support running a vm on the same device you are hosting on?

8 minutes ago, Mr.Humble said:

What features do you have in mind? Can you be more specific please? :)

What is your current system? How many drives do you (want to) use for this file server? What configuration do you want in terms of redundancy? You say you don't have a budget for the unRAID license, but what is your budget?

I plan to run more than vm at a time without losing performance significantly.

My current hardware is as follows:

CPU: i5 6400 (I don't use CPU intensive applications, so I have plenty of headroom there)

GPU: GTX 1050Ti 4GB

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)

The drives I plan to use are two 2TB HDD's (maybe in RAID, but I'm not sure about that right now) as well as a 128GB SSD for caching since I am planning on using those drives quite a lot. And i plan to install it on a 32GB USB 3.0 drive.

By the way, I'm planning to spend as little as possible. I'd really like a OS which supports running multiple VM's simultaneously while being able to work on the same PC that I'm hosting those VM's on. But I don't need to use those VM's all the time.

1 minute ago, IgorM said:

Check out FreeNAS

Is it possible to use the VM's on the host server?

1 minute ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

Yep

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

I plan to run more than vm at a time without losing performance significantly.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

CPU: i5 6400 (I don't use CPU intensive applications, so I have plenty of headroom there)

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

But I don't need to use those VM's all the time.

Im sorry, but you're not exactly making perfect sense here.

Makes one wonder what would be the purpose of those VMs since they would get 1, maybe 2 CPU cores, which definitely will mean they will be slow AF, especially if you intend to run Windows VMs.

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

The drives I plan to use are two 2TB HDD's (maybe in RAID, but I'm not sure about that right now) as well as a 128GB SSD for caching since I am planning on using those drives quite a lot

I understand the general appeal of SSD caching for hard drives, I was myself playing with the idea, but I wonder what application that benefits from fast(er) storage won't be bottlenecked by the CPU availability.

Perhaps it would be best for you to take a bit of a step back, and assessing your needs, intentions, and budget. Right now it seems like you're enthusiastic about a solution that, while certainly interesting, may not provide the value you are looking for.

The HUMBLE Computer:

1 minute ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

yes it is check out on it's documentation (which seems to be very good btw) https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/virtualmachines.html

Disclaimer I haven't installed it myself and don't have experience with it, but since it's quite famous you can find a lot of info online

Just now, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

Is there a video on that?

Thanks for answering!

1 minute ago, Mr.Humble said:

Im sorry, but you're not exactly making perfect sense here.

Makes one wonder what would be the purpose of those VMs since they would get 1, maybe 2 CPU cores, which definitely will mean they will be slow AF, especially if you intend to run Windows VMs.

I understand the general appeal of SSD caching for hard drives, I was myself playing with the idea, but I wonder what application that benefits from fast(er) storage won't be bottlenecked by the CPU availability.

Perhaps it would be best for you to take a bit of a step back, and assessing your needs, intentions, and budget. Right now it seems like you're enthusiastic about a solution that, while certainly interesting, may not provide the value you are looking for.

I'm planning on just running Linux VM's, and using another lightweight VM to share movies, etc. thats why i'd like caching.

Thanks for answering!

11 minutes ago, IgorM said:

yes it is check out on it's documentation (which seems to be very good btw) https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/virtualmachines.html

Disclaimer I haven't installed it myself and don't have experience with it, but since it's quite famous you can find a lot of info online

I mean to host the VM's, while using the same PC to work on them.

So:

I plan to use the pc to host the VM's, and then using the same PC to access them so there is no need for a extra computer like on this video from Linus: 

17 minutes ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

I'm planning on just running Linux VM's, and using another lightweight VM to share movies, etc. thats why i'd like caching.

Thanks for answering!

I see.

I don't know what you intend to do in the Linux VM, but I can understand the movie sharing.

However I don't think you need SSD caching for that.

In my opinion, you really are better off sharing the folder or drive that has the content you want to share in Windows, then mapping it as a network drive in the other PCs, as read-only for any potential third party users.

Windows 10 Pro also integrates a native hypervisor - Hyper-V - which allows you to set up a Linux VM on a virtual disk located on any drive you want, and I'm certain there is a way to set the computer up to even autostart it.

I'm specifically mentioning Windows 10 Pro since that is what I use, and I set up an Ubuntu VM for learning following this guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-distros-windows-10-using-hyper-v

EDIT: The article states that you need the Pro license, so if you don't have that I understand that is a major problem 

The HUMBLE Computer:

1 minute ago, Mr.Humble said:

I see.

I don't know what you intend to do in the Linux VM, but I can understand the movie sharing.

However I don't think you need SSD caching for that.

In my opinion, you really are better off sharing the folder or drive that has the content you want to share in Windows, then mapping it as a network drive in the other PCs, as read-only for any potential third party users.

Windows 10 Pro also integrates a native hypervisor - Hyper-V - which allows you to set up a Linux VM on a virtual disk located on any drive you want, and I'm certain there is a way to set the computer up to even autostart it.

I'm specifically mentioning Windows 10 Pro since that is what I use, and I set up an Ubuntu VM for learning following this guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-distros-windows-10-using-hyper-v

EDIT: The article states that you need the Pro license, so if you don't have that I understand that is a major problem 

Alright, I will look into this. Thank you!

1 hour ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

I mean to host the VM's, while using the same PC to work on them.

So:

I plan to use the pc to host the VM's, and then using the same PC to access them so there is no need for a extra computer like on this video from Linus: 

then why not just use windows 10?

You can easily share files over the network.

Use hyper-v for vms, and storage spaces for raid. 

And then you can easily use it for a desktop

Not really mentioned yet but if you want the drive flexibility that UNRAID offers, an alternative to that is MergerFS+SnapRAID. I've not personally used it yet but from what I've read it's pretty good. You can run it with regular Linux distros from which you can install a hypervisor and/or Docker.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 hours ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

Hi there! I was wondering if there was a good alternative for unRAID since I wish to use my extra system power for a small (file) server, I have tried a lot of different things but unRAID still seems the best option out there, but I just don't have the budget to buy a license. Is there any free operating system out there that does the same as unRAID?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

I'm an unRAID proponent there are many features with unRAID that are nice, you say your budget is holding you up well unRAID will be the cheapest part of the build and you can throw literally any drive at it at any size and just pop it in and it will run you will get the full raw storage of those drives as long as your parity is the largest drive in the rig you should test it out with the free trial I think you will change your mind and may reconsider in the end

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Why are you adding complexity to this?

Windows 10

Run the disks independently

Run the VM's in Hyper-V, VMware Workstation (trial) or Virtual box for free. 

Share what you need through Windows File Sharing (SMB/CIFS)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Why are you adding complexity to this?

Windows 10

Run the disks independently

Run the VM's in Hyper-V, VMware Workstation (trial) or Virtual box for free. 

Share what you need through Windows File Sharing (SMB/CIFS)

I don't want to lose performance significantly. That's why.

With such low end hardware for virtualization, you would be better off running Windows 10 as your main OS and using it day to day then just use Virtualbox to power on VM's as you need them.

You could also give your Windows OS a file server role instead of building a VM for it?

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

1 hour ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

You will loose more by running unraid as you can't assign full resources to your main rig when you power these systems off.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

8 hours ago, JustAnotherRandomUser said:

Your Linux VM's will run just as fast in VMWare Workstation Player (free version) or VirtualBox (or even Hyper-V) as it would from unRAID, so no problems there.

Additionally, you're likely going to be bottlenecked by your 1Gbps LAN, so running an SSD as your Share won't have huge benefits (especially for movies, which are large sequential files - perfect for a HDD). A decent HDD can get pretty close to saturating a 1Gbps LAN connection.

Do you have any other concerns?

I would: Create a folder (either on your main drive, or a separate drive) - share that folder

Use VMWare Player or VirtualBox to create a Linux VM or two

And that's about it - bonus points if you use Storage Spaces, but I don't think that's even required here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)