Devil's Canyon to Ryzen 3 upgrade thoughts

alcom4x

I'm thinking of upgrading my rig with the target of driving an ultrawide 1440p 100hz or better screen (which I don't have yet). I mostly play Single player games with the occasional pubg/apex/overwatch match here and there. I also run linux as a main os and only use windows for gaming so I intend on having a virtual machine with a GPU passthrough.

I am looking at the below hardware, thrown in a pci-e 4.0 SSD not because I really need it but just for fun:

image.png.b2e60bf93e06ac279da0e890b987fe09.png

I will be reusing the following;

• Fractal Define XL Case
  • Noctua NH-D15 cooler
  • Cooler Master V850 PSU
  • 256GB Samsung 850 Evo
  • 1tb WD Blue M.2 (sata) SSD
  • 3x 1TB Hard disks from various manufacturers
  • Palit GTX960 for Main Linux OS (RTX 2070Super will be passthrough for windows)

Any opinions on this? Especially on the choice of memory in relation to Ryzen. Not sure if I should have 2x16GB modules or 4x8Gb. I don't have much time to tinker with settings, benchmarking and overclocking so I need something to perform out of the  box.

1 minute ago, alcom4x said:

Not sure if I should have 2x16GB modules or 4x8Gb

If the memory is equally fast there is no performance difference; I'd go for 2x16 just because that way it would be easier to upgrade in the future.

Also given what you want to do I think a 3900x is completely unjustified - a 3700x would be plenty. For the noctua you'll need to get a different mounting bracket if you want to use it on AM4. It's worth noting that the 3700x' stock cooler is good enough for the CPU to stretch its legs so it may not be worth the hassle.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

get an X570-P instead of that board for an entry-level X570 board, the phantom gaming 4's VRM sucks. you'll need to order an am4 mount from noctua before you can use the D15.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

get an X570-P instead of that board for an entry-level X570 board, the phantom gaming 4's VRM sucks. you'll need to order an am4 mount from noctua before you can use the D15.

AM4 bracket should be on it's way. Also what's wrong with the VRMS on asrock? I currently have an ASrock Z97 Pro 4 mobo running near 24/7 since 2014 which has been rock solid. Never had luck with asus products - had mobos & phones die so I don't trust them much. Any other brand/board you'd recommend? 

1 minute ago, alcom4x said:

AM4 bracket should be on it's way. Also what's wrong with the VRMS on asrock? I currently have an ASrock Z97 Pro 4 mobo running near 24/7 since 2014 which has been rock solid. 

this isn't a Z97 board, asrock cheaped out on the mosfets for it. the gaming X from gigabyte is also an option.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

this isn't a Z97 board, asrock cheaped out on the mosfets for it. the gaming X from gigabyte is also an option.

I was actually going to suggest the X570 Aorus Gaming X as it's only 40 euros more. 

:edit: the MSI MPG X570 Gaming plus is also in the same price range so not sure which one to choose. What should I be looking out for in terms of power delivery? Both seem like they have all the bases covered for my needs.

7 minutes ago, alcom4x said:

I was actually going to suggest the X570 Aorus Gaming X as it's only 40 euros more. 

:edit: the MSI MPG X570 Gaming plus is also in the same price range so not sure which one to choose. What should I be looking out for in terms of power delivery? Both seem like they have all the bases covered for my needs.

the X570-P has the best VRM of the 4.

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

the X570-P has the best VRM of the 4.

out of curiosity, where are you basing this off of? I can't find any clear reviews or comparisons on this. 

3 minutes ago, alcom4x said:

out of curiosity, where are you basing this off of? I can't find any clear reviews or comparisons on this. 

buildzoid claims that the X570-P has the best VRMs on the $160 boards.

Thanks for that! very insightful.

As for the GPU and memory choice any thoughts? 

Here's a curveball: If I get an AMD 5700XT card I can step up to any of these motherboards with the money saved:

image.png.850fabedea7a65d50ec8b91c40185208.png

That said the only AMD GPU I've had in my life was a 4870X2 which had a lot of driver issues and eventually killed itself due to heat. The 5700XTs on the market are all reference cards with 1 blower fan so Its not that ideal. 

So to recap we're talking either:

- Asus X570-P mobo

- Ryzen 3900X

- 32GB Ballistix sport LT

- Gigabyte GTX 2070 SUPER triple fan design

OR

- one of the above mobos

- Ryzen 3900X

- 32GB Ballistix sport LT

- Asus Radeon RX5700 XT GPU