550W PSU for 2070 SUPER and 3700X ?

Rxd

Super basic question(I know and I am sorry) but I just want a yes or no. I know that the 2070 super takes no more than 240W and the R7 - more than 150W, both at 100% usage, which will never happen in my case. Also there won't be anything special like RGB strips, multiple drives, etc. that will require extra power.

You need a bigger one probably

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti | Asus ROG Strix B450-E | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200MHZ 16CL | Cooler Master Mastercase H500 | TX650M GOLD | 2TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM | 500GB SATA SSD | Asus MG248QE Monitor| ---------- | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse | SkullCandy Crusher Wireless Headphones | Trash $6 membrane keyboard from a brand which I can't read the name of because it's literally so cheap that the company's logo hasn't been printed right and the letters are unclear and now that we're at it it's so loud and hurts my fingertips I honestly regret buying it I wish I'd bought normal ram sticks instead of corsair's overpriced rgb ones and with the money I saved buy a better keyboard instead

Long Answer : 550W might be enough (but barely) but that doesn't mean it's suitable. Usually, you'd want something much higher than 550 for such power-consuming parts. I, for example, have a Ryzen 5 2600 & a GTX 1660 Ti yet I bought a 650 Gold PSU to ensure stability and safety for my build. Use PCPARTPICKER to know exactly how much power your PC can draw (maximum) and multiply that number by...say... 1.4-1.9 Of course, this is pure speculation, but it's still much better than going for a 550W PSU for such a high rig. I really recommend you watch YouTube tutorials on how to choose a suitable PSU and the whole topic in general. Also, never go for a cheap PSU to save money. It's a very vital part of your system that you don't want to cut costs on because a low-quality PSU might seriously damage your system in a lot of cases.

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti | Asus ROG Strix B450-E | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200MHZ 16CL | Cooler Master Mastercase H500 | TX650M GOLD | 2TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM | 500GB SATA SSD | Asus MG248QE Monitor| ---------- | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse | SkullCandy Crusher Wireless Headphones | Trash $6 membrane keyboard from a brand which I can't read the name of because it's literally so cheap that the company's logo hasn't been printed right and the letters are unclear and now that we're at it it's so loud and hurts my fingertips I honestly regret buying it I wish I'd bought normal ram sticks instead of corsair's overpriced rgb ones and with the money I saved buy a better keyboard instead

1 minute ago, Rxd said:

@LukeSavenije Corsair most likely rmx550, depends what the shops will have in stock at the end.

oh, rmx is fine for that

just keep in mind you're up a higher load on it, so it'll be a bit on the louder side

14 hours ago, Rxd said:

@LukeSavenije Corsair most likely rmx550, depends what the shops will have in stock at the end.

Refer to the PSU tier list for some guidance on the quality of your PSU. If you really want to get a 550W one and don't plan to integrate more power-consuming parts in the future, it's fine to get a 550W but it will be on semi-full load when loading your other parts. Yet again, all of what I'm saying is pure speculation based on my limited knowledge, so refer to YouTube videos or so for more details on the subject

@Deathtroya I've watched most of those videos and trust me I am picking a good PSU as a model. At the very least Tier A based on the new PSU tier list

14 hours ago, Rxd said:

@Deathtroya I've watched most of those videos and trust me I am picking a good PSU as a model. At the very least Tier A based on the new PSU tier list

Great! I think Tier A would be very good at handling wattages slightly below its maximum. Might be a bit noisy on load, though

1 minute ago, Rxd said:

ah... you like the list?

i want you to look at the names on it?

1 minute ago, Deathtroya said:

Yet again, all of what I'm saying is pure speculation based on my limited knowledge

Yeah I can tell. Literally everything you've said in this thread has at the very least been misleading. 

15 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Yeah I can tell. Literally everything you've said in this thread has at the very least been misleading. 

Honestly, It's not as if I want to mislead anyone at all. I just wanted to help him out, yet I wasn't sure of what I told him, so I told him twice that is was all speculation and I told him twice that he should refer to guides or YouTube videos on the topic. People on this forum are really helpful to me when I ask for any kind of guidance so I thought I might help someone out too. I already clarified all of that for him, so what do you have to do with it?

15 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah... you like the list?

i want you to look at the names on it?

Well, I just did and found out that you're one of its makers, haha! You did really well and provided a lot of help for many new builders, including myself. I referred to it before buying my TX650M, by the way. Great job! ❤️ :D

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, rmx is fine for that

just keep in mind you're up a higher load on it, so it'll be a bit on the louder side

The RMx 550W is quiet even at full load.

13 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The RMx 550W is quiet even at full load.

yeah... i thought it was worse at that load... i took a look at a graph... boy i was wrong

20 hours ago, Deathtroya said:

I, for example, have a Ryzen 5 2600 & a GTX 1660 Ti yet I bought a 650 Gold PSU 

So, you bought a 650w psu for a build which consumes around 240-250watts while gaming? 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

On 7/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, Vejnemojnen said:

So, you bought a 650w psu for a build which consumes around 240-250watts while gaming? 

Max consumption is 300w. The curve of efficiency is at its best at 50%, which is around my full-load draw. If only you quoted the whole comment, or even finished the sentence, you'll know that I didn't mention the full model to signify that he needs a PSU double his power consumption, but rather to let him know that I, even though my build is nowhere close to being high-end, went for a decent, stable, Tier A gold PSU and tell him that the PSU isn't a part he should save a lot of money on. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

Max consumption is 300w. The curve of efficiency is at its best at 50%, which is around my full-load draw. If only you quoted the whole comment, or even finished the sentence, you'll know that I didn't mention the full model to signify that he needs a PSU double his power consumption, but rather to let him know that I, even though my build is nowhere close to being high-end, went for a decent, stable, Tier A gold PSU and tell him that the PSU isn't a part he should save a lot of money on. ^_^

The difference is like 1% at most usually lol, no point. Might as well save the $10, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

The difference is like 1% at most usually lol, no point. Might as well save the $10, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

If these $10 are saved on dropping wattage to be suitable then it's definitely fine. If they're saved by going for a less quality / lower tier model, then I wouldn't recommend it. Personal opinion.

Just now, Deathtroya said:

If these $10 are saved on dropping wattage to be suitable then it's definitely fine. If they're saved by going for a less quality / lower tier model, then I wouldn't recommend it. Personal opinion.

I mean that, yes.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

well, good PSU-s have roughly the SAME efficiency from 60% to 90% load... So really does not worth to oversize a lot. How did you measure the 300w max power consumption? Drawn from wall socket? Bc in that case, the actual power need of the system is roughly ~10% lower, so 270watts.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )