Regarding Gigabit port switch

Pawan07

Can i use gigabit port switch direct from modem without the router?

1 minute ago, Votivee said:

Yes, but it wouldn't really make sense since you'd only be able to connect one device to the internet at a time if I'm reading this right: https://www.quora.com/Can-I-connect-the-modem-to-the-switch-then-to-the-router

@Lurick Might be able to help

Correct. If it's a pure modem and not a gateway (modem/router combo) then the first device to ask for an IP address will get the 1 public address passed from the modem and then none of the other devices will have no internet access.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

OK that means if my gigabit switch has 5 ports, still i can use only port?

Just now, Pawan07 said:

OK that means if my gigabit switch has 5 ports, still i can use only port?

Yes. Unless you purchase a router.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Just now, Votivee said:

Yes. Unless you purchase a router.

Ok thanks for clearing my doubts ...

yes you can, if you ever turn off modem, disconnect the switch too from the power adapter, after the modem is turned on and connected to internet reconect the switch too, some switches enter in panic when the modem is turned off and turned on

connect the switch to the modem using the ethernet port 1 on both devices

if later you add a router, the port 1 from the modem to wlan on the router and port 1 on the router to port 1 on the switch

36 minutes ago, goto10 said:

yes you can, if you ever turn off modem, disconnect the switch too from the power adapter, after the modem is turned on and connected to internet reconect the switch too, some switches enter in panic when the modem is turned off and turned on

connect the switch to the modem using the ethernet port 1 on both devices

if later you add a router, the port 1 from the modem to wlan on the router and port 1 on the router to port 1 on the switch

No, you cannot as you will only be able to use a single device at a time on a pure modem. The first device to ask for an IP will get the 1 available public IP and that's it. A switch doesn't have specific uplink ports either and there is no need to connect to the first port on any device. There also isn't anything that will "panic" a switch when things are turned off and on, that's nonsense.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

No, you cannot as you will only be able to use a single device at a time on a pure modem. The first device to ask for an IP will get the 1 available public IP and that's it. A switch doesn't have specific uplink ports either and there is no need to connect to the first port on any device.

if you say so, i guess it must be true, i did that for 10 years but probably os was imagining things then, 10 years imagining things on a old modem with only one ethernet port, well, yes, must be impossible

btw, your modem will not come woth a static ip if you never bought it, so it will use dynamic ip, also you are confusong things, it is not the same the local network and the internet

also remember that a pure modem is a thing that has not been in use for many many many years, all modems are routers, but i guess that be right is better than help others, great comment btw

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

if you say so, i guess it must be true, i did that for 10 years but probably os was imagining things then, 10 years imagining things on a old modem with only one ethernet port, well, yes, must be impossible

btw, your modem will not come woth a static ip if you never bought it, so it will use dynamic ip, also you are confusong things, it is not the same the local network and the internet

also remember that a pure modem is a thing that has not been in use for many many many years, all modems are routers, but i guess that be right is better than help others, great comment btw

I'm not confusing anything and pure modem devices are DEFINITELY still a thing. Motorola and tons of other manufacturers still make and see them, one quick example is a SB6183 modem. I never said anything about a static IP, I said the first device to ask for an IP will get a public IP as a modem will pass through the request and the first device to ask will get a public IP address and will ignore other requests. Modems are not routers, there are combo units, which are commonly called gateways, but they are different things completely. A gateway is a modem + router + switch + wireless AP in a single unit.

Example 1:

https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6183/

Edit:

Also there are 1 port gateway boxes out there as well, they were really old and that's almost definitely what you had.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i never said you are confusing anything, i said i must be imagining things, for a decade, sure!

3 hours ago, goto10 said:

did that for 10 years but probably os was imagining things then

Well You go lucky and the ISP gave you more than 1 IP. However now days unless you fork out more money you only get one IP address period. 

3 hours ago, goto10 said:

BULL SHIT. There are ISP's out there that do give out pure modems, Im pretty sure Charter(Spectrum) does. Also you can buy your own. Im staring directly at my SB6141 on my desk. While MOST ISP's do provide a "Gateway" not all of them do. In most causes at least with Cable Providers using DOCSIS, you can get a pure modem no issues. Arris, Motorola, Netgear are the top 3 Docsis Cable Modem manufactures and they provide both Pure Modems and Gateway devices. 

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-Docsis-Packaging/dp/B00MA5U1FW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=SB6141&qid=1564181310&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-Approved-SB8200-Frustration/dp/B07DY16W2Z/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Docsis+3.1&qid=1564181323&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-CM1000-Compatible/dp/B0781VN7W5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Docsis+3.1&qid=1564181323&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Approved-Comcast-Gigablast-MB8600/dp/B0723599RQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Docsis+3.1&qid=1564181323&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, goto10 said:

i never said you are confusing anything, i said i must be imagining things, for a decade, sure!

This is likely what you had and it's completely different from a pure modem in that it's a router and modem in one, aka a gateway:

https://www.connection.com/product/cisco-dpc2320-docsis-2.0-wireless-residential-gateway/dpc2320-4041705-k9/33709729

15 hours ago, goto10 said:

btw, your modem will not come woth a static ip if you never bought it, so it will use dynamic ip, also you are confusong things, it is not the same the local network and the interne

Right there looks pretty much like you said I'm confusing things

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: