Motor Set-Up for homemade standing desk

Lady0Phoenix

I am planning on buying a workshop desk that has a hand crank to lift it up and down.  I want to attach a motor and a gearbox up with two buttons. one for down and one for up. I would also like to plug it into the wall and for it to be relatively cheap.

I can put everything together But what parts do i need Like what motor and gearbox would you recommend cause i have no clue

How much torque is required for hand cranking the table?

Any specifications about the hand crank mechanism that are available to you?

To measure the torque required, a janky way to do it is to use a handheld digital weigh scale like the ones used to measure the weight of luggage. Hitch the strap to the crank lever perpendicularly and pull to see the maximum weight that was indicated on the scale for the crank to move a little distance. Use the formula torque = F x r to get the torque. Please use SI units. This will give us an approximate value of torque that the motor + gearbox will have to deliver for the assembly to work.

Then we can decide on the type of motor and drive required for this application.

Could i just make a small 10:1 Gear box using legos and then just  make a pulley for the crank

It'd be a bit sloww but would have more than enough torque to do it

Or couldnt i Just take a corded Drill and take everything out of the casing and make a 3d model for a housing and just send it to a 3d prinitng company or better yet just get a little plastic lock box? Instead of custom doing it   jsut get a $50 Corded Drill