r9 280x toxic high temps?

klaciduno

Hi everyone!

So I got a Saphire toxic R9 280x for christmas and built myself a new rig two weeks ago.

I was looking at the temperature and noticed it always beeing at about 43C at idle and close to 70 at load.

I kind of thought it was a bit high and looked it up and on all the reviews I foung the idle temp is around 27-30C!

So what could be the problem with mine?

Do I just have bad luck or could it be because of bad thermal paste?

As well: What could I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Klaciduno

Probably very unlucky with the chip you've got there. 

Interested in Business and Technology

As long as the temperatures don't go to high you should be fine.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

hmmm my 270x toxic is ~25 degrees idle and TOPS ~50 degrees when under full load, at a room temperature of 20-22 degrees

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

so my ambient temp shouldn't be to high since my h100i never goes over 40C (even under load (not overclocked yet))

I got the corsair carbide 500r, with the side window fan in place

I plan on doing the side panel window mod and replacing the stock fans

also it doesn't matter if I crank the fans up completly or not, the idle temps don't really change

I know I should be fine, but I just thought its a bit high for how huge the cooler is and how much different it is from all the reviews

actually my room temp is 23C at the moment and the card is 43C

70 at load is good. most reviews are made with the card out on an open air test bench. I guess it explains why they get better temps

ambient temps? case? air flow? 

as stated above:

23C atm

corsair carbide 500r

stock fans + 2 from the h100i atm

as stated above:

23C atm

corsair carbide 500r

stock fans + 2 from the h100i atm

get a bottom intake, that might cool down the card a bit

and if it doesn't, well, you could always unplug it ;p

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

get a bottom intake, that might cool down the card a bit

and if it doesn't, well, you could always unplug it ;p

Yeah I'm planning to do that anyways, but shouldn't the side panel fan cool it down anyways for now?

So basically it's bad luck and I should try and get better airflow?

couldn't it be the thermal paste or something else?

Is there really nothing else I could try?

I think your temps are ok. My Vapor-X idles about 41-43 when overclocked (ran 1170/1650 for a few months, but I'm experimenting with 1200/1650 right now). I've never seen higher than 65c under load but my case has pretty good air flow (200mm side intake aimed in the card's general direction, and 140mm mounted behind the drive cages aimed in its general direction). And I switch over to a custom fan profile via Afterburner when gaming.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

What are the ambient temps?

Sent from my Eee Android

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You can set the fan speed at idle to 30 or 35% and try replacing the TIM too. Sometimes it get's put on there very sloppily.

Intel 4670k, MSI Z97 Krait Edition, 2 x 4 Gbs G-Skill Trident X 2400 Mhz, CPU full W/C loop, Sapphire R9 290-flash to a 290x, Samsung 840Pro 128 Gb SSD, Seagate 1 Tb Hdd, Seasonic SS660x2 Platinum PSU, NZXT 2m white sleeved LED strip. 9 Fans all Corsair SP or AF except 1 80mm high speed for NB/VRM cooling. Corsair 750 full tower case.

I think your temps are ok. My Vapor-X idles about 41-43 when overclocked (ran 1170/1650 for a few months, but I'm experimenting with 1200/1650 right now). I've never seen higher than 65c under load but my case has pretty good air flow (200mm side intake aimed in the card's general direction, and 140mm mounted behind the drive cages aimed in its general direction). And I switch over to a custom fan profile via Afterburner when gaming.

If I had overclocked it I would be okay with it as well, but I haven't done that yet and thought it might be a bit hot considering that the review ones run 10 - 15 degrees cooler

What are the ambient temps?

Sent from my Eee Android

usually around 20 - 25 degrees

You can set the fan speed at idle to 30 or 35% and try replacing the TIM too. Sometimes it get's put on there very sloppily.

Yes I know, but I would still like it to be quiet enough so I can't hear it (atleast when idle).

I will try and replace the thermal paste anyways, since I want to paint the shroud red (got a red and black theme)

Thanks anyways for the tips. I'll report back when I changed the thermal paste and completed my mod.