LG is refusing to fix my phone

Charmeleonnz

Hi there, I bought my LG G6 phone last year and it had been an okay phone till now. I was having issues with it so I decided to reset it. After resetting it, it told me my sim wasn't in the phone, so I popped the sim out, only to discover that the whole sim tray snapped in half. I took it back to where I got it as this is clearly a manufacturing deflect. After a while I heard back from the repair agent and I was told that it would not be covered under warranty due to "user damage" and that it would cost over $100 NZD to fix.

I then sent an email to LG and after a while I heard back them and was told it would cost money which I refuse to pay as it wasn't my fault.

After over a month of waiting I heard back from LG. They said they won't fix it, and I would have to pay the $100 as I broke it, even though i just put the sim pin in and as it came out it snapped.

What are my options, other than paying?

Thank you very much for reading.

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Find yourself an unwanted or broken G6 and salvage the intact sim tray? Any seller or phone manufacturer would find it hard to believe that the sim tray can just break by itself.

Yeah, but they are still fairly small pieces of plastic that can snap off. It's not like I was rough with it. Even so $100 nzd to LG is nothing, I don't get why they don't just fix it and make me happy. I am so tempted to take them to court over this.

If nothing is stuck inside the phone just get a new sim tray from ali or ebay.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

mate, i don't mean to be rude but a replacement sim tray will cost you literally $4 on aliexpress or similar. What exactly do expect to gain from taking them to court? You won't even be able to "take them to court", best bet would be to quote the CGA to the retailer and waste even more of your time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190724004745&origin=y&SearchText=LG+G6+Sim+tray&switch_new_app=y

2 hours ago, Levent said:

If nothing is stuck inside the phone just get a new sim tray from ali or ebay.

The issue is apparently there is a piece of the sim tray stuck in the sim slot. I am going to request it back and see if I can pull it out.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:30 AM, Faisal A said:

Something like this :

Thanks for that, seems like ali has some if the worse comes to the worse.

Edited by LogicalDrm

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Not a bad idea in NZ, although you'll need proof that it broke by manufacturing defect instead of user damage.

Buying a replacement sim tray did cross my mind, but then again you are in NZ and unlikely to find local stocks of such fringe items. You can buy from a foreign seller but then you face the high cost of import/delivery.

Perhaps visit a few phone repair shops and ask to sift through their e-waste and you might find the shell of a discarded G6. The tray might even be of similar design to closely related LG devices although I have never checked. Just be mindful when telling the shop owner what you are looking for. If its a good lad he might help you out. If its a bad lad he might try to gouge your wallet. A good compromise would be to say you need it to fix a spare phone, thus unwilling to buy a replacement part because its not really important.

Yeah true seems stupid imo. I will look at aliexpress they seem to have a few for fairly cheap. My work which I got the phone from has a few more g6 which I may be able to take a sim try from them. Thanks for your advice. :)

2 hours ago, frontliner said:

mate, i don't mean to be rude but a replacement sim tray will cost you literally $4 on aliexpress or similar. What exactly do expect to gain from taking them to court? You won't even be able to "take them to court", best bet would be to quote the CGA to the retailer and waste even more of your time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190724004745&origin=y&SearchText=LG+G6+Sim+tray&switch_new_app=y

Small claims would cost me $45. Pretty small fee if it compares to the $100 i would have to pay. Waste their time to deal with me, under the CGA my issue hopefully would be covered under the CGA as it wasn't fit for purpose and should be designed for more than 2 sim openings.

8 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Small claims would cost me $45. Pretty small fee if it compares to the $100 i would have to pay. Waste their time to deal with me, under the CGA my issue hopefully would be covered under the CGA as it wasn't fit for purpose and should be designed for more than 2 sim openings.

You could also spend $45 dollars and buy 10+ sim tray replacements, that will probably last you the lifetime of the phone.

12 hours ago, frontliner said:

You could also spend $45 dollars and buy 10+ sim tray replacements, that will probably last you the lifetime of the phone.

True lol, but out of principle I have done it with other companies whom i can't name due to a NDA, but according to them there are parts of the sim still stuck in the phone.

I kinda don't blame lg for chargin you for that your fault or not the g6 is probably out of warranty now. 

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I kinda don't blame lg for chargin you for that your fault or not the g6 is probably out of warranty now. 

It has a 2 year warranty on the unit so i am just on the 2nd year now. So I am covered til next year. Even so a massive dick move, I get why but I still think charging me is stupid. $100 for LG is nothing. Now I know I will def never support LG with any of their products especially with their phones.

5 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

It has a 2 year warranty on the unit so i am just on the 2nd year now. So I am covered til next year. Even so a massive dick move, I get why but I still think charging me is stupid. $100 for LG is nothing. Now I know I will def never support LG with any of their products especially with their phones.

while I agree $100 for lg is nothing soomething like that is hard to prove that it's not your fault to be honest. but since if you live in new zealand I can see where the $100 is coming from if they are paying shipping as well. as from what I hear anything related to tech over there is kinda often stupidly priced.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

while I agree $100 for lg is nothing soomething like that is hard to prove that it's not your fault to be honest. but since if you live in new zealand I can see where the $100 is coming from if they are paying shipping as well. as from what I hear anything related to tech over there is kinda often stupidly priced.

The repair agent lives in auckland my phone is already there as they has to assess it and then they told me it was broken. Apparatny its the time for the staff etc which I understand, but charging for something that was out of my control is a massive dick move.