Best SFF cpu cooler??

Origami Cactus

The AMD wraith Prism fan that came with the 3700x really let me down, it is far worse than amd ryzen 1000 series stock fans. I at first thought the problem was with the cpu/mobo, but i crammed my full tower cooler into my itx case, and it is far quieter and cooler, so the problem lies in a cooler. It is a 140w tdp cooler, how can't it cool a 65w processor?

Anyways i can't run my pc like this for long, so i am looking for a few options in terms of cooling.

1) Corsair H60 75€   (i would run it push/pull with 2x purewings 2 fans)

+120mm fan size

+Can exhaust hot air straight out of the case

-Very expensive

-Water

2)Noctua NH-U9S 60€ (+6€ for mounting kit if needed, +30€ for redux fans)

+People claim that noctua is magic, so it might be the quietest option?

-May not include the am4 mounting kit

-Only a single 92mm fan

-I would have to buy 2x Noctua redux fans to make it less ugly

3)be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 20€

+Cheap

+Bequiet, so probably a quiet cooler

-Kinda ugly

-Seems like the least powerful option out of the bunch.

So should i go for the Noctua or Corsair, or save a bunch of money and get the Bequiet? I know that the wraith prism sells for more than the cost of the bequiet, so i am worried for the cooling performance.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just now, Votivee said:

Not sure what dimensions you're working with, but the dark rock tf is a very capable cooler. May be hard to get your hands on one though.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/572

It would be fine, but i absolutely hate coolers that look like that, so that is why i didn't include any of those in my choices. Also tower styles coolers exhaust air straight out the back of the case, while this would make a mess.

Gotcha. Out of those choices I'd pick the noctua. It's kinda pricey if you're going to get fans as well, but you could spread the cost out since the upgraded fans aren't required to use it.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Gotcha. Out of those choices I'd pick the noctua. It's kinda pricey if you're going to get fans as well, but you could spread the cost out since the upgraded fans aren't required to use it.

How much perfomance would the added fans add? Push/pull vs push.

Can't give you a definite answer on this, but I know if I only run 1 fan instead of 2 on my Dark Rock Pro 4 it's only a difference of 2-3 degrees. That is a completely different cooler though and my exhaust fan is pretty much right up against the cooler as it is.

I'd say it depends on how much airflow your case is getting in the first place. If your airflow is limited go with two to force some more air through.

If you're looking for silence then 2 fans might be the way to go. From my experience 2 fans running at 1000 rpm is quieter than 1 fan running at 2000 rpm.

If you want to save money, just go with one.

If you want max performance, 2 fans.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

The Wraith Prism is still among the best of the stock coolers for Ryzen and is no worse than any of the coolers for the 1000 series. What are your temps and what case are you using? Depending on the case's airflow, it may heavily favor tower coolers over a downdraft. 

The H60 and NH-U9S would probably both perform worse with the fan replacements mentioned than with their stock fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Wraith Prism is still among the best of the stock coolers for Ryzen and is no worse than any of the coolers for the 1000 series. What are your temps and what case are you using? 

Open air, the cooler can have all the air it wants.

Temps: 50-60idle, 80c load.

Thermalpaste was very fine, mounting was fine.

The cooler is the whiniest little thing I've heard, not sure if i got a defective one or something.

The wraith spire was undetectable even at full speed, while prism whines at the slightest little load.

Why would the nh9s perform worse with 2 fans instead of one?

9 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Open air, the cooler can have all the air it wants.

Temps: 50-60idle, 80c load.

The cooler is the whiniest little thing I've heard, not sure if i got a defective one or something.

The wraith spire was undetectable even at full speed, while prism whines at the slightest little load.

Why would the nh9s perform worse with 2 fans instead of one?

80c is normal due to how the 3000 series is more efficient with boost clocks and will continue to do so as long as it's able to. You can see some more examples of the same cooler on the 3700x with higher temps:

https://youtu.be/DBQ1RUeV_oo?t=323

https://www.techspot.com/review/1869-amd-ryzen-3900x-ryzen-3700x/

It's noisier due to the higher rpm at least on the higher end. I would agree that the fan isn't very quiet and still rumbles at low speeds. A custom fan curve may help but it probably won't be enough if you want something very quiet. 

NF-B9's are lower rpm than the stock NF-A9. 

You mentioned using the cooler in an itx case. Which case?

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 2:35 AM, WoodenMarker said:

80c is normal due to how the 3000 series is more efficient with boost clocks and will continue to do so as long as it's able to. You can see some more examples of the same cooler on the 3700x with higher temps:

https://youtu.be/DBQ1RUeV_oo?t=323

https://www.techspot.com/review/1869-amd-ryzen-3900x-ryzen-3700x/

It's noisier due to the higher rpm at least on the higher end. I would agree that the fan isn't very quiet and still rumbles at low speeds. A custom fan curve may help but it probably won't be enough if you want something very quiet. 

NF-B9's are lower rpm than the stock NF-A9. 

You mentioned using the cooler in an itx case. Which case?

Where are you shopping / located?

I am using Sharkoon C10 case, and right now i somehow crammed a Deepcool Gammax GT RGB tower cooler in it, but the case doesn't close.

Right now i am thinking of maybe getting a NZXT H200 instead of a new cooler, because my deepcool would fit in it.

GPU thermals are bad in this case...

Also the reason for high fan noise is the stupid asus bios, they lock the temp limit at 75c, can't rise it any higher than that. So fan constantly can hit 100%.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:32 AM, Origami Cactus said:

I am using Sharkoon C10 case, and right now i somehow crammed a Deepcool Gammax GT RGB tower cooler in it, but the case doesn't close.

Right now i am thinking of maybe getting a NZXT H200 instead of a new cooler, because my deepcool would fit in it.

GPU thermals are bad in this case...

Also the reason for high fan noise is the stupid asus bios, they lock the temp limit at 75c, can't rise it any higher than that. So fan constantly can hit 100%.

The H200 would probably be better. 

Are you sure the setting is locked? Are you using the '+' and "-" keys on the keyboard to adjust it?

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H200 would probably be better. 

Are you sure the setting is locked? Are you using the '+' and "-" keys on the keyboard to adjust it?

Yes, the stupid setting is absolutely locked. I can set it lower, but if i try to set it higher than 75 it gives an error.

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yes, the stupid setting is absolutely locked. I can set it lower, but if i try to set it higher than 75 it gives an error.

I'm not sure if this would work for you but a specific version of AI Suite seemed to work here for getting around that restriction: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93700-Fans-forced-to-100-when-CPU-reaches-75C/page3#post756860

Have you tried using AI Suite?

39 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm not sure if this would work for you but a specific version of AI Suite seemed to work here for getting around that restriction: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93700-Fans-forced-to-100-when-CPU-reaches-75C/page3#post756860

Have you tried using AI Suite?

Yes AIsuite works to raise the temp limit, but when i uninstall it it goes back. I'll just wait for a new bios, maybe that unlocks it, but i doubt it.