[Technical] Chat app help.

i want to work on a chat system in a an android app and i wanted to know how whatsapp and related apps work... Does whatsapp create a new activity for every new chat conversation or does it use anything else ?

Please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Rebel_07 said:

i want to work on a chat system in a an android app and i wanted to know how whatsapp and related apps work... Does whatsapp create a new activity for every new chat conversation or does it use anything else ?

Please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

whatsapp = NSA. do you want to become NSA o.o enlist today WE want YOU! 

Whatsapp is a closed source app so there is no definitive information on how it works internally. What is known is that the central servers use a backend that is at least partially implemented in Erlang and that messages and data relative to a conversation are stored on the users' phones as opposed to the server.

6 minutes ago, Rebel_07 said:

Does whatsapp create a new activity for every new chat conversation

Not to discourage you but if this is your level of programming knowledge you'd be better off starting with a smaller project. Activities in android are just a UI abstraction, they're quite irrelevant to the underlying structure of something as complex as a centralized chat app.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Rebel_07 said:

Please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

What is certain is that they have servers with databases. They track conversations and who's linked to those conversations.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, Sauron said:

Whatsapp is a closed source app so there is no definitive information on how it works internally. What is known is that the central servers use a backend that is at least partially implemented in Erlang and that messages and data relative to a conversation are stored on the users' phones as opposed to the server.

Whats app might be closed source but signal, which functions the same is not.

https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 7/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, Norwegiantweaker said:

whatsapp = NSA. do you want to become NSA o.o enlist today WE want YOU! 

Sign me up. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, wasab said:

Sign me up. 

Well you technically just need to get your clearance level so you don't technically need to work for the government, just affiliate or work with them on project to get the investigation done on you for the clearance. In canada i assume that would be the level 4 clearance. Must be similar level in the states i don't know. I have clearance lvl 2 and you only access secret and sensible informations but nothing military as far as i saw.

Spoiler

It is not as uncommon as it seems. Sometime just the fact that you are required to edit some report template require you such clearance just because that report is used for secret level information even though the dev that is working on it won't ever have actual real data to do the work. Usually just a government or agency policy.

One common example is if you work with large telecom companies specially in programing were you touch low level stuff or if you work at an exchange centers or if you are a technician and have physical access to the bix towers then information could be compromised. You would be surprised how easy it is to tap any line from a telecom exchange central. You home security alarm system you think it goes straight to the company you deal with you actually live in a dream. It actually goes to the telecom company thru a phone line at typically 120 or 200 volts instead of 24 volts and there is a special red jumper (must depend on the company but that be stupid to not use red as well) at the central where we know to pay attention because 200 volts hurts if we touch it by accident.

Learn TCP/IP for your language of choice. 

Then you'll know how to make a chat app like WhatsApp.