How to connect graphics factory fans to other source?

Guys please help! My graphics fans stopped working because my problem is that the circuitry that controls the fan is burnt so they wont start but the graphics card itself works awesome.

My card is MSI R9 270 Gaming Edition.

So my questions are this.

1.Can I connect GPU fans to molex on PSU and how to do it so i can start GPU fans like that
2.Is there any splitter that comes from PSU and to put 4 pin connector of GPU fans inside that splitter

3. Is there any way to do that especially that i dont have MONEY for the NEW GPU and that im quite satisfied with this PC

4.I dont have on my MOBO case fan header so i can add case fans to GPU only CPU header.

5. My PSU is 500w ENERMAX

Hope i was clear i need technical help.

To add i do not have money to buy new card atm and im satisfied with this PC and i need cheap solutions the most.

Cheers.

FpJj5Wr.jpg

lrn3eqH.jpg

Why not mod a cheap 92 or 120mm fan onto the card, and use a fan splitter to plug that in to the CPU fan header alongside the CPU fan?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

if the gpu doesnt complain for not having the fans connected and you can convert the fans to to a molex, it will just work but fans will not have speed control, at all, once connected to 5v they will spin at the same speed all the time

please take a picture of the fan connector you have there, the one from the gpu fans

most coversion kits for gpus to install a custom heatsink end up using 92or even 120 mm fans connected to molex or sata

Pinout is the same : ground, 12v, rpm sensor , pwm (control fan rotation)  so one of the pins on the edge of the connector is the negative and the one next to it is the 12v.

If the wire colors are all black and you don't know which edge is the ground but you have a multimeter, you can set the multimeter in continuity mode and put one probe on a pin in the connector of the video card and the other on a ground ( for example the metal ring near the connector with MT204 written on it, or the actual metal bracket of the video card). Meter will beep on the ground pin, so you'll know the wire in the jack going to that connector is ground, and therefore the next wire in the plug is 12v.

You should try taking out just the ground and voltage wires from the connector, the traces may still be functional so the video card may still be able to adjust the fan speed

Sorry guys for little bit late reply and thanks for answers!

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why not mod a cheap 92 or 120mm fan onto the card, and use a fan splitter to plug that in to the CPU fan header alongside the CPU fan?

You mean splitter that goes in CPU header and then i connect CASE fans? Probably best solution but i would like to keep MSI fans if i can. I will post picture bottom so check if thats what you mean.

23 hours ago, goto10 said:

if the gpu doesnt complain for not having the fans connected and you can convert the fans to to a molex, it will just work but fans will not have speed control, at all, once connected to 5v they will spin at the same speed all the time

please take a picture of the fan connector you have there, the one from the gpu fans

most coversion kits for gpus to install a custom heatsink end up using 92or even 120 mm fans connected to molex or sata

Oh i dont want full speed fans on factory GPU fans. Yes GPU doesnt complain without fans. Okay i will picture connector and wiress so you all can see.

23 hours ago, mariushm said:

Pinout is the same : ground, 12v, rpm sensor , pwm (control fan rotation)  so one of the pins on the edge of the connector is the negative and the one next to it is the 12v.

If the wire colors are all black and you don't know which edge is the ground but you have a multimeter, you can set the multimeter in continuity mode and put one probe on a pin in the connector of the video card and the other on a ground ( for example the metal ring near the connector with MT204 written on it, or the actual metal bracket of the video card). Meter will beep on the ground pin, so you'll know the wire in the jack going to that connector is ground, and therefore the next wire in the plug is 12v.

You should try taking out just the ground and voltage wires from the connector, the traces may still be functional so the video card may still be able to adjust the fan speed

I think wire colors are different colors i mean they are not all black. Yes i would like to control fans and leave factory MSI fans if its possible. Il post picture of wires and connector.

Image at bottom is for CRUNCHY DRAGON i will post soon picture of connector and graphics fans wires.

5-Port-PC-4-Pin-PC-PWM-CPU-Cooling-Fan.jpg

Edited by Isaac Clarke

that fan hub could be a option if the fans have that same connector

being burned, i think that you migth need to accept some modifications, like remove the stock fans, plastic pieces over the heatsink on the gpu and try the zipties approach with the fans as mentioned, fortunately the gpu doesnt complain for not having fans connected

5 minutes ago, goto10 said:

that fan hub could be a option if the fans have that same connector

being burned, i think that you migth need to accept some modifications, like remove the stock fans, plastic pieces over the heatsink on the gpu and try the zipties approach with the fans as mentioned, fortunately the gpu doesnt complain for not having fans connected

Yes i wanted to ask you that. Its not same 4 pin from factory GPU MSI fans and from example case fan? I hope they have same 4pin connector, that would be awesome so i can keep MSI FANS and plug them into that splitter!

Edited by Isaac Clarke

20 minutes ago, Isaac Clarke said:

You mean splitter that goes in CPU header and then i connect CASE fans? Probably best solution but i would like to keep MSI fans if i can. I will post picture bottom so check if thats what you mean

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Connect the fan splitter to your CPU header, connect your CPU fan to that, as well as some case fans that you attach to your GPU. If necessary, you can remove the stock fans so they don't get in the way of the case fans you'd be attaching.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

it seems there are converters, like this one

https://www.amazon.com/GELID-SOLUTIONS-PWM-Adapter-Cooler/dp/B005ZKZEQA

but im not sure if it works with your fans, because this one is to connect the normal case fans to the fan header on the gpu, you need the contrary

the idea of remove parts and leave naked the gpu seems to be more simple, buy 2 120mm fans, use zipties and connect those fans to that fan hub

Oh my GPU connector is mini GPU connector its not same as CASE FAN connector of course so the hub i posted above only works for CPU and case fan option...

I found this splitter on some website, but idk if i can find this here in my town. It contains mini 4 pin GPU connector and for CPU i think or case fan connector im not sure if its for CPU or case fan that other black connector but im sure the white one is for GPU. What you guys think about that?

No need to be scared about voltages right?  I mean cable itself can handle voltages and etc if i plug MSI fans into that mini 4 port GPU because splitter going into CPU header and have CPU or case connector and one mini 4 pin GPU connector?

I attached pictures of those connectors and cable from MSI fans. You can see colors of the wires too. And to mention those MSI fans are separated to one part when they are merged together as you can see on picture.

The reason i posted this is only because i would like to keep MSI fans.

Mini_4-Pin_GPU_Female_to_Mini_4-Pin_GPU_Male___4-Pin_Fan_Male_(2)__54802_zoom.jpg

Mini_4-Pin_GPU_Female_to_Mini_4-Pin_GPU_Male___4-Pin_Fan_Male_(3)__57262_zoom.jpg

IMG_20190720_164229.jpg

Edited by Isaac Clarke

the voltages are not the problem, the problem is amperage and short out the fan hub

the cable you posted is basically the same i posted, is to connect two case fans on the gpu fan header

7 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the voltages are not the problem, the problem is amperage and short out the fan hub

the cable you posted is basically the same i posted, is to connect two case fans on the gpu fan header

Really its the same? Oh.. My GPU fan connector is probably not working. SO there is no splitter that goes into CPU header and have CPU and mini 4 pin GPU fan entry? I thought i sent you that lol.

Edited by Isaac Clarke

6 minutes ago, Isaac Clarke said:

Really its the same? Oh.. My GPU fan connector is probably not working. SO there is no splitter that goes into CPU header and have CPU and mini 4 pin GPU fan entry? I thought i sent you that lol.

if you look at the pictures both the link i posted and the picture you posted, both are meant to connect the splitter in the gpu, and on each side of the splitter connect one pwm fan, like the ones used on your pc

is meant to use the gpu fan header to control normal fans or control a waterpump via the fan header of the gpu

what you want is connect the gpu fans to the pc fan header, all the contrary

it seems that is more cheap and simple the use of a case fan, the fan hub and  some zipties

you could buy the splitter, reconstruct cables and build a solution converting female to male on both sides as required, sounds complicated, especially for a gpu that is burned and you might change in a couple months,, making any solution a waste of time and money, the fan hub and case fans can be reused easily

Yeah, i guess thats best solution I understand.

Only thing that botters me is what to do with healthy MSI fans and that plastic because it will not be used anymore if i go with that CASE fan option.

And its not that much of an cheap option because i need to buy some good case fans not just anyone right...?

My wish is to go with noctua , or even little bit cheaper NZXT fans, but if i buy x2 its almost more then half of the price of my graphics card now. 

That only bothers me.

Too bad manufactures didnt make same 4 pin connector  of GPU as case fans, so people just plug and play GPU fans into that hub, would be really usefull if fans are okay and some other problem is with powering fans on, like my problem is.

I guess  i will go with some really cheap case fans idk. guys. Or buy just one good.

Or maybe go somewhere in some service to try to make that modification like converting female to male.

Edited by Isaac Clarke

well, i have here some cheap 120mm thermaltake fans, i bought them because they are low rpm and very silent, if you go the noctua path those are really expensive, but as  i sad before, you eventually will get tired of that gpu and you can recover those fans for other purpose

have you considered liquid cooling the gpu?

there is even this other path

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835186097

this is from msi forum

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177540.0

it would let you convert this inconvenience into a improvement

they might sell the fan converter cable

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

of course, the simple path is just remove the plastic cover and ziptie two 120mm fans, will look enormous but will work

On 7/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, mariushm said:

Wait if i understand you good, even with that issue on card if i do that i would be able to start fans from same connector on GPU?

I dont quite understand what you said but almost.

I meant to say to say that you may be able to separate the actual power wires (ground and 12v) and connect those to power supply (through a molex or sata connector or a fan header on motherboard)  and leave the rpm and pwm wires in the header you have on the video card.

It's possible that only the part that sends power to the fan got damaged, and the part which monitors the number of rotations per second and sends a signal to fans to adjust speed may still work, the traces may still be intact on the motherboard.

So by leaving the rpm and pwm wires in the video card fan header, if you're lucky the video card will still control the fans.

If not, the fan will probably run at 100% speed.

30 minutes ago, goto10 said:

well, i have here some cheap 120mm thermaltake fans, i bought them because they are low rpm and very silent, if you go the noctua path those are really expensive, but as  i sad before, you eventually will get tired of that gpu and you can recover those fans for other purpose

have you considered liquid cooling the gpu?

there is even this other path

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835186097

this is from msi forum

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177540.0

it would let you convert this inconvenience into a improvement

they might sell the fan converter cable

https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

of course, the simple path is just remove the plastic cover and ziptie two 120mm fans, will look enormous but will work

Yeah sooner or later i will buy new GPU for sure and i can have those fans for something else or backup , you are right.

Thanks bunch for info and links, I really appreciate your time for helping man. 

Link me model please of those thermaltake fans you are using. BTW i might consider buying those arctic cooling in about couple of months. They really look dope and i bet they do cooling awesome.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

22 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I meant to say to say that you may be able to separate the actual power wires (ground and 12v) and connect those to power supply (through a molex or sata connector or a fan header on motherboard)  and leave the rpm and pwm wires in the header you have on the video card.

It's possible that only the part that sends power to the fan got damaged, and the part which monitors the number of rotations per second and sends a signal to fans to adjust speed may still work, the traces may still be intact on the motherboard.

So by leaving the rpm and pwm wires in the video card fan header, if you're lucky the video card will still control the fans.

If not, the fan will probably run at 100% speed.

Oh i got it now, thanks. Yeah i know what you mean now! To test connector if some pins are alive. Yeah might be power part got damaged only. My question is how to connect and which wires to sata connector if i decide to do that ? Is it safe?

If you can guide me through that please.

You have picture of wires from GPU fan above. Which one is ground because It has double black,double blue,etc... I really dont have idea how that works because wires are double.

Through a molex that comes directly from PSU? I have modular PSU so that might come in handy.

I do not have fan header on MOBO,only one but CPU fan is plugged inside that header.

So in my case  only molex or sata connector option works.

2 hours ago, Isaac Clarke said:

IMG_20190720_164229.jpg

If you mean this picture, it looks to me like  BLACK - YELLOW - GREEN - BLUE

As I told you, the wire on the edge is ground ... so most likely black = ground,  yellow = 12v , green = rpm sensor (fan sends rpm to header) , blue = pwm sensor

Another color standard is that Black = ground,  red = 12v , yellow = rpm sensor, blue = pwm

The SATA pinout is easy to find ( pay attention to the L key on the right side):

Yellow is 12v , Black is GND , RED is 5v , Black is GND, Orange is 3.3v

image.png.2031a86e6c21d388712d59294ff25870.png

Molex (hdd) connectors are also super simple:

You have 5v on one side, 12v on the other, ground in the middle.

image.png.ef03d2f4d6c07058be494b49e3f20350.png

image.png

16 minutes ago, goto10 said:

two of those and a Y splitter or the fan hub and it should work well

So plug fan hub into CPU header, then connect CPU fan and this 4pin male cable to that fan hub, then connect graphics factory fans into this 4pin male power cable? I do like that?

Oh no, i missunderstand it. Allows you to connect 4-pin (PWM) fan to Mini 4 Pin GPU power supply connector.

Thank you all really for answers and i will see best solution for me from your posts. Will post what i did. ?

no, leave the cpu fan header alone with just the cpu fan in there, use the system fan header

on the fan header connect the fan hub

on the fan hub connect two of those pwm to gpu fan header and in those two converters connect the gpu fans

the speed control of the fans will depend on the system temperature measured near the chipset

in that case the speed of those fans will not be controlled by the temperature on the gpu, so you need to keep that in mind, there is some apps that could allow you to control speed of those fans like speedfan