learning linux

On 7/21/2019 at 7:05 AM, Saksham said:

I actually watched that already. I still thought that windows is so much more simple. but i get why linux has what it does

I think that Linux file-tree is more advanced and the windows is more simple. Like... Windows 10's new Setup vs the old Control Panel (show icons), and therefore a bit scaring. But you get used to ignore the folders you do not need for the specific operation you are about to perform.
There are distros out there, being more Windows like merging and "hiding" some folders in the GUI.
One of the hardest thing in the Unix (Linux Filesystem derives from Unix as you know) is that it operates FORWARDS, not BACKWARDS:
Unix: Where are we (GOING to)? /
Dos (Windows FS): Where are we (COMING from)? \

(If you're not aware, the "control.exe" in either "C:\Windows\System32" or "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" (depending on 32 or 64 Horsepower) is the old Control Panel! Just make a shortcut to your preferred location, - for example the desktop.)

On 7/19/2019 at 12:42 AM, Saksham said:

I am going to learn CS in college. I know that linux knowledge is not required yet, but it would be really cool to get started. However, I use windows and linux seems extremely complex. Where/how should I start. I mean, just looking at the file system and its a confusing MESS. 

Joe Collins, Chris Titus Tech,  Level1techs,  here, as well as the ones mentioned here ->> https://www.slant.co/topics/14094/~youtube-channels-for-linux-content

Take baby steps if you are, as of the time I'm typing this quote/reply  8-8-19, still a linux noob like I was.  Start with an easy to use distro like Linux Mint cinnamon.  It is, sincerely, the closest and smoothest transition from Windows in so many ways.  

Here are some things to note about a linux.  

1. You can try virtually any linux distribution out WITHOUT messing up your windows installation.  Either using a usb thumb drive or my favorite a ssd that is plugged in using an adapter precisely like this one https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84   I've owned several and years, and all are still going strong.  

A.  Just plug in any thumb drive or a ssd using the adapter connecting it with into any windows computer and format it to fat32, then download whatever Linux distro you want to try. 

B.  Next use a program like unetbootin to prep the storage drive ( free, been using it for over 7 years, never had a problem)  and navigate to that distro image file you downloaded.  Most of these programs like unetbootin are a cakewalk.  

C.  Now with whatever PC you want to try it out on, ensure it's turned completely off, plug in that drive, power it on, spam whatever keyboard key gets you into "setup" aka "Bios" aka UEFI or even the quick boot menu options that let you choose that thumb drive as the first booting device.  If you did everything correctly, it should boot into the Grub menu OR even directly straight into the distro's desktop.   ** note..you CANNOT install any programs in this instance. You'll have to install the distro into a storage drive to boot from first**...but you can test drive , safely, linux this way.   Remember that its' not running at its native full speed though unless you're comparing a usb adapted ssd to a 7200 or slower rpm hard drive of of the installation.  

When you're done and need to go back to Windows, just shut it down completely, remove the linux distro thumb drive/ssd and power the machine back on.  it should auto boot into windows .  If not, get back into uefi/bios/setup, and select that windows installed storage drive as the first boot device.  

2.  File system-  EVERYTHING....is a file.    - Your media files ( documents, pictures, music, videos or movies, .pdf , etc), your drivers, configuration files, settings for programs, program launchers, .png's for icons, your boot manager folder contains editable files ( chances are in linux it deals with Grub ), So..virtually anything can be changed or edited.  They can be changed, moved, deleted and even possibly recovered from either within the file explorer...or a terminal window.

3.  Chances are ( with a few reasonable exceptions) all of your stuff just works..or it doesn't. -- Often that's the way Linux works out. 

IF it doesn't work out of the box , a kernel update might fix it.  Most drivers these days in Linux for most hardware is coded right into the kernel updates.  Thus 99% of the time regardless of the distro ( yes..even Debian based like Ubuntu and Mint..versus Arch based) , desktop environment ( xfce, cinnamon, mate, kde), file manager/file explorer ( caja, nemo, nautilus..etc), or package manager ( apt, yum, dnf,  yum, pacman, synaptic, etc)...kernel updates fix the problems.

5.2.7 is the most updated as of today 8-8-19, but if that one doesn't play nicely enough with your distro, use a slightly older one.  

Ukuu  is your best friend

type the following commands in a Terminal.  Type each line then Enter

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ukuu -y

If you need more tips involving setting up further to prep for gaming, let me know or check out any of the youtube channel's content I mentioned above.  Joe Collins isn't into gaming, but Chris Titus Tech and Level1Techs are solid.  I bet Anthony from Here could knock a home run or two about it also.

4.  Learn your failsafe hotkey combos.  -  It WILL happen eventually, some solid program you love WILL one day lock up. Some distros are more problem prone than others.  You'll just have to experiment, but I've heard Manjaro is more buggy than your Debian based distros.  Be ready to deal with that.

*** Let's pretend that a program suddenly looks or feels it is not working right or locking up, but you only want to end/kill THAT program.  One option is xkill command.   Press ALT+F2 then type xkill and hit enter.  Chances are that within 15 seconds or less depending on your PC's speed, that misbehaving program will end just as if you leftclicked that X to close its window and the rest of your desktop and other programs should not be affected.

****   https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-different-ways-to-end-unresponsive-programs-in-linux/  ***     The number 6 option on that site involving killall is my favorite and never fails me

5.    Updates -  YOUR CHOICE  :D Unlike in Windows, You HAVE the choice of when to update virtually anything,  kernel, the update software itself ( mint-update for example in linux mint), printer cups driver, anything.  You get to choose when to update and what things you want to.  ( ****   note...when using the command sudo apt-get update.....it tries to auto update basically any and everything to my understanding.  There is an exception....settings command you can type first though in case there is something you find that you need to omit or exclude to ensure that thing doesn't get updated and cause problems IF using the terminal.  The gui Update program, such as the one with Mint cinnamon, lets you choose which programs to exclude either temporarily or permanently. 

6.  Your software/programs - Probably 95% of all the programs in Linux are acquired from a package manager ( like synaptic package manager...for ubuntu and mint based,  pacman..more for arch based) or a distro's own specifically named Software Center or Software Manager or Software Boutique ( mate).  Yes there's a chance you can or may HAVE to go to a website and download.   Team Viewer dealing with Mint 19.2 cinnamon is one example of this.

Found here https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/linux/  pick the "deb" named option..probably first one...if running debian based like debian, ubuntu, mint.  After you download it, run it ( worst case there's a small chance you'll need to make it executable, but probably not), select to "install the package", password prompt pops up, do that, and you're off to the races.

7.  Linux ( with the only exception I can think of being RHEL..RedHat Linux and paid for support from Microsoft) is free...free of charge/cost and open source.  When you learn enough about it,  you can literally BUILD you own operating system..set any and everything up as you wish for your needs or wants..especially if you get good enough at learning with Arch.

Good luck. :D